xisto Community
wariorpk

Geocities Free Webhosting Run By Yahoo

geocities is a good webhosting for anyone who is just starting. When I used if for the first time four or more years ago, I was amazed by how simple it was to upload the files. And the free scripts like Forms, Counters and the guestbook are nice as well. I do not mind the pop-up advertisment at the upper-right corner, it does not deform the layout anyways, and the visitors could always close it. And it is connected to all of my Yahoo accounts - Messenger, email, etc. I was using it for years until I realized it was not professional looking website. The URL is so long, although people could easily remember it.recently, I found out they changed their pop-up ads to something that would destroy everything on your page, which i guess would turn people off and transfer to another free host. I still keep my website at Geocities, in case something screwed up at trap, but i guess it won't happen.

Geocities was a pretty classicall site for some beginners in HTML... I started out with it, and at that time, I probably knew only how to put links, and make text bold. I was also very short at that time :P

My first webhost was Geocities and I used their own WYSIWYG program to create my html pages. That was years ago when i know nothing about html and how websites work heh. :P The thing that I don't like about Geocities is that it has a very limited space and it displays an ad on the right side of the screen. Apart from those it's an okay website for beginners in web publishing. When they're older and wiser they can shift to paid hosting or a good free webhosting like Trap. :P

I like geocities for file storage. For instance. If I ran out of space, I could set up my navigation links to geocities, and routing them to other sites as well, making my site a multi hosted domain. I could use geocities to store images, files, scripts, and link to it whenever I need them. Now, that doesn't mean I will degrade to that low status, but I will use it for storage if needed. So, although I don't like it, I can still use it for some things.

i use to like geocities but not when they had new ads on there. And i was tired of posting the no ad code on each page. lol. but that's a long time ago. They use to have ftp for their users too. but now they don't. that sucks. now its only for those who pay or soemthing like that. I don't know for sure. but ya can check if ya just curioius. i'm not. lol.

I didn't like Geocities at all since it appeared on the hosting offer.Even it's a free service I have to recognize that it's fast, but the ads are very annoying indeed so I don't think you should choose this as your hosting service.You can find a lot of offers on the Internet to choose as your free web hosting. Don't you think that Xisto.com forums it's the right place?Xisto.com hosting service is a quality service offered for free.

I didn't really like Geocities on yahoo. It was good for a while, but the lack features, and the overwhelming amount of banners, quickly pulled me away. I mean there was nothing they gave you to use, except for file manager, and a broken page wizard. Mine was pretty good, but I'm a master of stealing html codes.(LOL) Click Here to View Check it out, if you want.

Yeah Geocities is good if you are just starting out and have very little HTML knowledge, but its bad points especially the ads, massively outway its good points (its free is about the only one I can think of, but so is Xisto which is far superior in everyway (but you knew that already)) the main problem I find with geocities is that pretty much all of the sites hosted there are as a result of it being for beginners very bad. but hey it is good for helping you to find out what works and what doesn't work, so for that reason it is good for improving your sites (ok so the state of the sites hosted there is not technically a problem with the hosting packages, but I suppose the site builder tool has some thing to do with it). Anyway there are worse hosts out there, and from what I can remember it was reliable.

Geocities used to be fast and reliable. Now its not so. And I think the page builder software used to be good, now it kind of sux. I used to use geocities as a beginner and I think it was a good learning experience. Unlike many other hosts, they do not restrict file types and upload sizes and I thought that was a plus point. In fact I kind of used it to transfer files by uploading and getting my friends to download subsequently and then take it down. It was rather fast and reliable. Over time it got worst as more people used it and there are still a lot of people who use it now. Unfortunately they fail to see that the 15mb they give is so puny little and even their paid service is highly overpriced! The ads are getting bigger though they do not pop up on you like Angelfire.On the whole, geocities is user friendly and definitely a good site for beginners who are out there to just "try out" experiment and have fun with site building and stuff. But to get a proper web site with a substancial amount of visitors, I think we'd just be wasting our time there! and Xisto is the best.

hahaha this topic still going on ? I guess most people don't like geo and think trap are the best...Geocities is a site where you'd make a 'thing' and just leave it and forget about it for the rest of your life and then when finally about 10 years later, you feel like revisiting your page you find you've forgotten your oh so long site address that's impossile to remember

geocities is a good webhosting for anyone who is just starting. When I used if for the first time four or more years ago, I was amazed by how simple it was to upload the files. And the free scripts like Forms, Counters and the guestbook are nice as well. I do not mind the pop-up advertisment at the upper-right corner, it does not deform the layout anyways, and the visitors could always close it. And it is connected to all of my Yahoo accounts - Messenger, email, etc.
I was using it for years until I realized it was not professional looking website. The URL is so long, although people could easily remember it.

recently, I found out they changed their pop-up ads to something that would destroy everything on your page, which i guess would turn people off and transfer to another free host.

I still keep my website at Geocities, in case something screwed up at trap, but i guess it won't happen.

First yeah i guess so if you are a beginer and starting to make a site this would be good. And i do not think Xisto will mess up. Also like you said the link is so long. Not very good. Now yes it is good to keep as a back up if something does happen and have scripts and such. But still not my choice. But pop up yeah that is not the best. So i would not use Geocities for alot of those reasons.

Yeah, i agree with many of you, the adverts take up the majority of the screen and are definitely not user friendly.Geocities was the first webhosting site i was ever shown. I was shown it by an I.C.T teacher at primary school when i was about eight years old.Of course, then, I didn't know that webhosts without adverts existed, so as soon as I found out, when I was about eleven, I moved as quickly as possible.But anyway, for a site like yahoo, competing with freewebs, i believe that the adverts put off a lot of clients from signing up.I may be wrong though. Anyway, my opinion is that their adverts spoil the service, they should use alternative means of getting money.

My previous website was hosted by geocities. And the one thing i odn't like about it is that,not enough bandwidth (even though they said 2gb of bandwidth, but i think it is divided out so you won't use all 2gb before the month is over)Space is very limited, all you could do is host pictures and that's itDoesn't support FTP for free acount so it takes much longer to edit html files and to upload pictures. And you can't mass upload files at once (like using a gallery generator to generate html and thumbnails. Think of how long it would take to upload a few hundreds files with the "easy upload" that yahoo supports.

Actually, I've never made webpages at geocities. I started with something called "HomePage", which also had an online site-builder... I think I was 10 years old or something like that... But then they removed their free hosting, so you now have to pay to have a site there.The site I made was actually lots better than sites I could make at Geocities...Later, I made a new site on freewebs... Not that good though... Later, I tried to make my own site with Frontpage, and it actually became a very cool page, but I was annoyed buy the 50-files limit, and I just found Xisto, and thought it looked cool... I didn't have a clue about PHP or anything like that, and I just started learning HTML...Then, I made a new site, which couldn't be on Xisto, since I already had my old site, and I didn't want to make a new account, so I found a new host. (It was called orgfree). I still didn't know anything about PHP, but I started to understand CSS. My menu and header was in iframes, which I think was a pretty good idea ;) But my friends told me that they only saw smilies instead of images (orgfree had hotlink protection), so I moved to a host called 50webs. They were actually very good, but now I wanted a real forum (I used invsionfree). So I moved, once again, to a host called dHost. They offered PHP, 1 MySQL database, no ads, and didn't require any forum posting.Then, I started to learn PHP when I understood how powerful it was.Only two weeks ago, I moved to a paid hosting, since my website started to become popular. Every days, I got more and more visitors.Also, my site is now completely made in PHP...So this is my story about how it started. And a big thanks to Cragllo, a mod here. I visited his site and saw a link to Xisto, and that's how I founr Xisto, and why I'm here now. I used the forums for lots of help and it's here I learned PHP. :)