xisto Community
Avalon

Flash Page Header

Here is a Flash page header I made for an online roleplaying game. I personally didn't like it because it made the pages too slow to load, especially if you have a modem connection like me. But it's what the customer wanted and once again a web designer was at the mercy of his customer. ;)

I know the dragon is a bit funky when it walks but I had to limit the number of frames in an effort to try to keep the file size down. Obviously this was a "Dungeons & Dragons" type role palying game, hence the theme.

Shyderra Flash Header

wow thats pretty good man. i really like the walking of the dragon. it looks very real. and its nice how it loops. and i have DSL 1000. not the fastest around but for me it loaded in like 2 seconds or 1. if i was the customer i would be pleased with this thing. its nice to have a flash header like that. maybe he'll ask you to do a flash menu for his site soon too.

It's pretty weird. I think that instead of having the dragon toddle back and forth from its hobbit hole, have it stand and breathe fire. The ghost that shows up from time to time is just gliding over the land to no purpose. Also, it'd be nice if the water rippled or something instead of having a stationary background.To sum up, it doesn't have too many roleplaying aspects in it as it does dancing dragons and ghosts that prefer to walk along the road.Also, Dungeons and Dragons is just your standard table-top RPG. It actually doesn't have too many dragons as most of them are very high level. So I'd be all for removal of the dragon and insertion of other aspects. Maybe a hobbit for that hobbit hole. (some mod, any mod, please merge this post and the one I made above it, and remove this text in parentheses - I was trying to deal with a slow internet and two windows open at once and the mouse got in the way >< - sowwie!)

Notice from Becca:
merged

Also, Dungeons and Dragons is just...

It actually doesn't have too many dragons...

178745[/snapback]

*giggle* So true...you never really see dragons in DnD. Except DnD minis....I used to play those a LOT when they first came out a year or two ago. There's lots of dragons...I have "teh big red". :P

Oh, btw, I agree with everything biscuit said. ;)

thats pretty good for a simple animation with flash but yeah the background could use more movement.

The amount of animation was limited to keep the size under control and hence the time it takes to load. Because the animation uses graphics rather than vector drawings, making the water ripple made the file too big. I did actually have the water rippling in one version of the animation but the customer was not happy with the load time.This particular game was an online roleplaying game that had lots of dragons, in fact, one of the races you could choose to be was a dragon. Therefore, as far as the game was concerned, it not unusual for a dragon to be living in a cave like a hobbit might. Strange perhaps, but then this was pure fantasy so anything goes I guess. :)

i think just a jpg file or gif file instead of will be better.

198395[/snapback]

I tend to agree with you, the animation didn't serve much purpose except eye candy. But like I mentioned earlier, the customer requested it so as a designer you tend to do what the customer wants.

There have been many times when I didn't particulary liked the project I have made. I'd be interested hear from other designers that have been in a similar situation and what they did to try and convince the customer to go with a more suitable design. The ones I really hate are the customers that want a 'cheesy' design for their business site, especially when they want inappropriate music.

I think, that this says enaught...

The page cannot be foundThe page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

* If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
* Open the users.nex.net.au home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
* Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* More information:
Microsoft Support

:huh:;);)