xisto Community
serverph

Google Talk Talk and IM with your friends for free

Google talk is awesome! I like how it is really compact, so it doesn't take up much screen space. The internet telephony is very similar to Skype, but google talk is still great. Does anyone know exactly how (what protocol, etc.) google talk incorporates the calling features? I'm just curious...Thanks! :P

Yeah. I have a 95 so I can't get it. Hopefully a new computer will fix the problem. :P I heard from a relative it is really good. Even watched him use it. Seems to be really easy. It shows you when the person is writing, and instantly displays all the messages. Just like a regular chat room. Fast and effective, I am sure it will be a good hit. You can talk with mics to if you have them. It also shows you who is online. I think it is exactly like any other messenger. I don't know if it is better then MSN, but it is still way cool!

The program itself doesnt work on my computer strangely enough (windows xp), luckily I got trillian pro which supports it as well :) (With the Jabber plug in). Not many people talking on it tho...

Ah, Google Talk.. it's like the Notepad of messangers. It's so simple.. it doesn't need a zillion little pictures and features you'll never use, clogging it up.. it's purely a messanger.You guys keep saying that no one is using it yet.. and personally, I find that a blessing. I have 5 people on my Googletalk BL.. and probably 100 on my Trillian's AIM/MSN/Yahoo. I let Googletalk auto-launch and leave it running all day, safe in the knowledge that only my 5 best friends can see me on it.. and if I get a message, it'll be one I want.Launching Trillian is almost a headache, sometimes, getting bombed by people you hardly know, amongst the few convs from your friends.

still in beta, but it looks promising. :( we've been hearing about some IM by google before, and here it is.

users must have a GMAIL account to use it. but since almost everyone has gmail already, it won't be a problem building your contacts with the Google Talk IM. :( only thing is, it would require a much later version of windows: XP and 2000 only. mac and linux connectivity is available though using other IM clients.

download Google Talk here:

https://www.google.com/hangouts/

177782[/snapback]

its ok but in my opinion it could use alot of improvements barely no featuresor nothing and could use a better design also just too plain but i still use it hopin for a better one in the future

Wow great to know this google talk, i will try to use and see if it is good for me or not. I have many friends in usa who use google mail, so that we can download this google talk and just talk to hours together and this will avoid my phone billing. This also puts an end to me to find free call out service on the internet. I think it will be good than any other services like skype, pcphone etc.... let me try and see thanks for the details...

I must admit google talk is a great work by google.And as rightly pointed previously most of the people are now having gmail account to access google talk it wont be any problem to send instand messages.Enjoy! and it is true that there is no meaning for a chatting software if we can not chat with people. But I have one query in this regard like yahoo messenger is there any chat room facility in google talk? As for me I could not find one.There is much enjoyment in reaching rooms. It will be helpful for me if anyone can suggest the solution to my query.I must admit google talk is a great work by google.And as rightly pointed previously most of the people are now having gmail account to access google talk it wont be any problem to send instand messages.Enjoy! and it is true that there is no meaning for a chatting software if we can not chat with people. But I have one query in this regard like yahoo messenger is there any chat room facility in google talk? As for me I could not find one.There is much enjoyment in reaching rooms. It will be helpful for me if anyone can suggest the solution to my query.

hi all, i have tried everything. i have a tiger mac platform and have a jabber account facility in i chat. i have followed the instructions one to one given by google but i still cant connect to google talk. always get the message that the cannot connect to jabber. can someone help here? thanks

i just downloaded and still learning how it works (waiting for homeboy to log in so i can check if can use it to talk msn) my msn won't work on vista with my internet connetcion ( 3g true w880) so i had to download some program that incl. msn ^^ i can repley to that later and tell you if it worked :)

I love Gtalk and how it's really simple & clean (especially in comparison to the horrible MSN!)I'm getting all my friends on it. I really loved when I could chat at work through my Gmail, but they've now caught on and blocked it! Sigh.

Google talk is one of the best messengers i have ever used, and i still prefer it to any other one and here is why :1. it is just lightweight and being lightweight keeps it away from crashing and freezing, just look at yahoo messenger i have seen it crashing a lot when i open it in my computer i can be sure that it will crash during next 10 hours without any doubt and it doesn't matter which operating system i use or which computer i use i can be sure about it crashing. but google talk is something different, open it and let it be open for days and days and it will not crash do anything you want with your computer like playing games, watching movies, web surfing and nothing can make it crash. it is always open and every time you receive a message it will show you but in yahoo messenger sometimes when it is crashed already but there is no sign of its crash (you can only find out that with checking cpu usage and of course with newer computers that have dual and quad cores and 4 to 8 threads it will only take your total cpu usage up to 25%, so when you saw that 25% you should now that your messenger is crashed) you will not notify about people sending you message until you close the open one and open messenger again.2. google talk is simple, being simple is very important, having less useless functions means that you can be more sure about security and of course it doesn't slow down your computer. google talk now uses about 5MB of ram when it is open in my pc and this is just great open yahoo messenger or live messenger and they easily can get up to 200MB of you ram just in blink of an eye but gtalk is recources friendly and lets you to do anything you want without thinking about the RAM it occupies and play your games.but anyway we should remember after many years there is lot of functions lacking in gtalk :1. video call, this is really an indeed feature and many peoples need this feature in their daily messaging. google have put this feature in their mail chat section but they should put it in the gtalk too. there is a labs edition available that i thought it would have this feature but unfortunately it doesn't even have the old voice call and this is a big disadvantage of gtlak, in this section gtalk looses all of its points to other messengers like skype , yahoo messenger and windows live. i have said this many times that google have to update their messenger client before it is too late because many peoples have gone to other messenger because of video call feature. 2. emotiocns or smilies , these are indeed too i don't know why gtalk doesn't have one. gtalk labs edition comes with smiley support but it lack of voice call feature so it is again useless. i think google have to even extend their current smilies on the gtalk labs edition because they don't have enough smilies that you can find in other messengers. so gtalk is one of the smallest and still functional messengers that because of being light and simple is one of the most favorite ones for me and my friends. but it need some serious updates with video call feature and some other useful features but they should still keep it simple, so i hope we can see a new version soon.