xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jef

Date When Gmail Opens To Public? when do you think this will happen?

When Do You Think Gmail will open to the public? I don't think it will for a while!

Notice from snlildude87:
"When do you think..." is not a good title. Use something more descriptive
Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I do not think that Gmail will ever open to the public. I think that Google needs the semi-public atmosphere to provide all of the space that they give you. I hope it never goes public I like being refered to as an owner of a Gmail account.

Mmmh, I think it wont be any time soon. Seeing 2 gb is a lot of space, and a lot of people are abusing the space they get... And if Google mail would go public, it will be flooded, it will get slow and having a gmail account wouldnt be as special as it is now anymore. So lets hope it wont happen any time soon because I like my gmail very much... -_-

I dont think they will come to plublic for the fact that they dont really care. They might do it when their stock goes down or soemthing as a backup but thats my opnion. I dont really think they care to bring it to public right now. I think they just want to beat microsofts new email service that is currently invite only. And invites are only issued by microsoft and you have to be a beta tester to recieve an invite. So....

When Do You Think Gmail will open to the public? I don't think it will for a while!

Notice from snlildude87:
"When do you think..." is not a good title. Use something more descriptive

173368[/snapback]

Are you asking because you want a gmail account? If you want an account I can search my favorites and find the website that allows you to virtually swap invitations with people who want to pass them on to others who don't have them. That's how I got my account. Let me know. You can PM me or post a reply. -_-

This topic reminded me of Google's April Fools Day joke. It was a really obvious poke as GMail. One of the things in the FAQ was this:

7. How can I get my hands on a Google Gulp?
This "limited release" beta product is available to anyone who turns in a used Google Gulp bottle cap at any local retailer. If you don't have any Gulp caps, ask a friend to give you one.

8. What if none of my friends have a Gulp cap to give me? Can't you just give Google Gulp to anyone who wants it?

Well, we're thinking about it, but, um, you have to understand that there are many considerations which go into deciding how to distribute --

9. I mean, isn't this whole invite-only thing kind of bogus?

Dude, it's like you've never even heard of viral marketing.

11. When will you take Google Gulp out of beta?

Man, if you pressure us, you just drive us away. We'll commit when we're ready, okay? Besides, what's so great about taking things out of beta? It ruins all the romance, the challenge, the possibilities, the right to explore. Carpe diem, ya know? Maybe we're jaded, but we've seen all these other companies leap headlong into 1.0, thinking their product is exactly what they've been dreaming of all their lives, that everything is perfect and hunky-dory and the next thing you know some vanilla copycat release from Redmond is kicking their butt, the Board is holding emergency meetings and the CEO is on CNBC blathering sweatily about "a new direction" and "getting back to basics." No thanks, man. We like our freedom.

Gmail needn't to open it's Gmail signing for public now the member invitation system is the best choose for it because the server need more avaliable user but not the spammers.

I hope Google doesn't open to the public anytime soon. They've done some great things (starting with the search engine and beyond) and they've always got some new ideas brewing in their labs. Gmail is the best e-mail service available, in my opinion. I'm just afraid of what might happen should the organization go public.

yeah, the Gmail invites are freely available but just that u need an invite would prevent a lot of people from creating unnecessary gmail accounts. This would save lot of ids from being used and discarded. Also the load on servers is another factor. Moreover most of the Google services are in Beta, I suppose they release it only when they feel their service is one of the best around. That does not mean I think Gmail is bad, actually it is one of the best around, but they have a list of features that they plan to incorporate in a phased manner.The number of languages that Gmail is offered in has also grown...Finally there is the excluvisity though not much, it sure is nice to have a gmail account...Cheers.

Gmail pretty much has gone public because if you go to the Gmail login screen you will see you can text message Google to get an invitation. Even if you can't text message using a cell phone many instant messengers now allow you to text message. Gmail has gone public just without a sign-up link. I wish it wasn't public it was better before. Well now everyone can use Gmail might as well send all the Gmail invitations back to Google.

Gmail has gone public just without a sign-up link.

Quite true... A lot of people know Gmail and have Gmail. Heh, even my school principal uses Gmail for work! (It's true! I saw her at the computer when I was asking for permission to join a contest!) I was shocked, since most of my classmates don't even know or care about Gmail. Their lives revolve on Yahoo! and Friendster, and what a shock to see the principal using Gmail, hahaha! :P

Anyway, I'm not gonna be happy when Gmail goes public (with the sign-up page) Some people don't understand the invitation process, and give up and go. If Gmal puts up a sign-up page, more users will come and the service will slow down. ;) In fact, I was downloading a Gmail attachment, and it kept cutting midway. I couldn't even get a decent download! What more if Gmail goes officialy public!? :P

I think gmail is great but every thing on google says beta :/ i think theyll leave it that way, it would be awsome if they made a messenger ;)

178172[/snapback]

Well, they finally did! Introducing GoogleTalk! If you have Gmail and want to use Gtalk, you can get it HERE, but it's only in beta, even more basic than Gmail was when it started up :P

Well, they finally did! Introducing GoogleTalk! If you have Gmail and want to use Gtalk, you can get it HERE, but it's only in beta, even more basic than Gmail was when it started up :P

178768[/snapback]

That's awsome that they are making a messenger. If its as good as everything else they make, it will most likely be better then all of the other messaging services. Though the only annoying thing is that is just one more messaging system thats out there. It would be nice if all of them combined into one ;) but that would never happen.

btw, your link is broken :\

Like most people said, Gmail would probably be better off just keeping it invite only. Though they could really just make it public now if they wanted to because basically anyone can get an invite since their are so many members and so many invites :\ I, myself still have like 50 invites.

xJedix