xisto Community
cragllo

Most Stable Windows Version What do you think was the most stable...

What do you think the most stable version of Windows ever made is?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KuBi, you mean this screen? :lol:

Posted Image

Now that is good Microsoft humor! Right by a Vista sign still!

As for the most stable versions of Windows I've used, they are any NT based version (NT4/2000/XP home and pro). I like their enhanced security (even XP home is an upgrade from ME) in addition to the greater overall stability.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

I believe Windows ME is the biggest place full of bugs. And Windows 98 is the most stable, that what all my family and friends stated. But, for me the most reliable to use is still Windows XP, despite its constant defect.

Strange enough, I think the most stable version of Windows ever is Windows 2000. It is built with server technology, and it is quite handy, hardly occupying more than 128MB of RAM when ready and its GUI is not as fancy as Windows XP and Windows 2003. There seems to be some CPU utilization optimization that if a process grabs too much resources, the system will not hang, which is unlike Windows XP. I have tried once running BT on an old system (Pentium II 400) and of course, the CPU utilization shoots up to 100% and the process quits automatically, without undermining the stability of the OS. I am quite impressed, because in XP, you get hung immediately. I also use FTP. When the network through put is high, the system will become unstable in Windows XP, not again, not in Windows 2000. 2000 seems to have been built with stability in mild, and it is still my preferred Windows Server system. (Of course, with Linux, the system is even more stable)

It depends on what you use the computer for, if u play games maily, i think win98 is the most stable, if u do office works, win2000 is the best choice.i'm using winxp all the time now, I dun know if it's really stable or not but I'm kind of people who like to try and play with new stuffs :lol:

Win98 was brutal, especially when you encountered errors in third party programs in which you'd either reboot or get a "blue screen of death" most of the time. Win Millenium was by far the worst overall, it was soo unstable. I recall rebooting two+ times an hour.. shesh it was bad.By far the most stable version for me has been win2k. As a server solution it had to be solid. I used it for a few years and then switched over to XP after comparing it's server capabilities with it's multimedia "upgrades" (from 2k). They're both comparably the same, but I'm quite happy with xp at the moment.

Personaly I think Windows 98se was the most stable, XP has too much crap on it, ME has the most bugs by far!! I had it, decided to downgrade to 98se and everything was 80% better!

I TOTALLY AGREE!! :):P:D

windows xp stops all the time :D
and windows me CRASHES all the time! :D
windows 98 wins, :P:D
but i use windows xp :D

my favorite OS is MSDOS 6.22 and Windows 98SE 'cause windows xp has too many errors and service pack 2 will add about 20% more of them. at this time i'm using windows xp SP1, but it has many errors such as "Windows Starting ... Please wait"here in austria we use to say "es kann hochfahren und abst?rzten zugleich!" translated such as "it can boot and hang up at the same time!"so. lets get pro and contra bout win98 and xpWin98 ----------------------------- WinxpIf i press CRTL+ALT+DEL ------- The "taskmanager" will opentwice, your machine reboots ---- you must select "shutdown", but what, when your system hangs?does not care, if you open a ---- Connecting to Codec-Servermp3 file as an mpegAutomatic updates deactivated --find it under "Services" and deactivate itFULL DOS INCLUDED ------------ CMD-BoxFat32 can be readen by anyother system [linux/unix/solaris] try to mount a fully readable NTFS partitionand other problems... xp is the most attacked operating systemand many more

I used 98se/ME/2000 Pro/XP home/XP Pro/Vista. The one that caused me the most problems was Windows ME, 2000 pro was nice but once it had been running for a couple of weeks it slowed down on startup and shutdown. There is very little difference between XP home and Pro apart from a few admin tools and networking tools. I'm currently running Vista home premium and to be fair it runs well on my laptop and has caused me very few issues, apart from the fact I had to buy lots of new programs for it because my older ones wouldnt run on Vista. For me the most stable version has to be XP.-Wormster-uk

Most Stable Windows VersionMost Stable Windows Version

Windows Server 2003, definately.  Absolutely the most rock-solid, stable version. If you disable some un-needed services, it has a tiny footprint, great for gaming. If you just install it, turn on Windows audio, DX accelerations, themes & stuff, and disable some stuff like alt-ctrl-del to login, and shutdown event tracker, etc. It looks and works just like XP, but faster and more stable.

If you add some (un-needed) services & stuff, you can run the Vista sidebar and other Vista gunk on it, and still be faster and more solid than Vista.

-reply by Kyle

From experience i found XP pro has less BSOD errors than NT and 98. Win 98 always had to be patched and i used Norton sys utils for much of that, which were actually good at that time. Surprisingly Win 3.1 was the most stable version I have tried, but that was AFTER it had been patched up. Likewise before the patch it was supposedly prone to errors also. I've tried windows 1 i believe or something very similar (maybe pre windows 1) but that didn't have much going on to get errors. (it was pretty much good for text editing and text editing only).

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I've used 3.1, 95, ME, and XP. XP was probably the most stable. I used 3.1 but I don't remember what it was like. I can't remember 95 too well either. ME was the worst, it is a nightmare I try to forget), I do remember it had BSOD's frequently, escalating to every few minutes after aging a few years. I remember it well,<open msn> *BSOD*<open msn again> *BSOD*<open msn even more> *BSOD*<open msn> ........... no BSOD this time? I made it on! Woohooo! <msn receives instant message> *BSOD* "#%$%@# WINDOWS! Work you piece of crap computer! I have an important message to send!!"<open IE to use web messenger> *BSOD*<open IE again> *BSOD*"^%$^@#$#$!@$"...10 min later...*BSOD* <enter> <enter> <ENTER!!x10> "Argh, it fricken froze up again!!!" I think I experienced so many BSOD's I'm going to have shell shock for the rest of my life. I see something blue flash out of the corner of my eye, and the stomach pains and headaches come back. I don't know if it was completely ME's fault or that my computer was overheating (or failing in some way). I've never had any problems with XP, no BSOD's at all in my years of using it. I didn't even know XP still could BSOD...

Well, I don't really know about most stable version, but in my experience so far, Vista seems the most stable. When I had windows xp I had terrible problems with viruses, spywares, drivers, and lots of different stuff. Now I like Windows Vista, because it does not have virus problems and their only problem is that this os is a little slow and some software compatibility.

No windows 7? I was going to nominate that, but it seems this polls was made years ago :o Well at this rate, maybe I'll take windows 98? I can't remember how it feels though, since i was about 10 that time, but i don't think I've had any bsod there (not like when i'm with xp :) )

I'm not to sure what versions are more stable but every time I switch my OS to a newer one I feel Pretty good exccept when I changed from XP to Windows 7. I think that windows XP is very stable. I've never had a problem with it untill I get an imcompatable software