xisto Community
ckuehner

First Computer You Ever Owned What was the first personal computer tha

Just a curiosity issue for me. I know that a lot of you are very young (at least compared to me), so I imagine that some of the responses will be Pentium 3's or 4's.

However, bringing back memories of older technology is entertaining for me. So if you started "Back in the Good Ol' Days" I'd like to hear what you started with.

The first computer that I ever personally owned was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. It was a small thing that hooked upi to a television for a monitor.

The base system came with 1K of memory. There was no such thing as a hard drive at the time. We stored programs on tape (basically a standard audio cassette. I also had this big module that plugged into the back to increase my memory to 16K.

The graphics were pitiful by todays standards, but not bad for the time. I was able to play Frogger and a lot of Text Adventures. I also used it to learn programming in BASIC and Pascal.

Reading about your computer sure brings back a few memories for me.

The first computer that I ever remember owning was a beastly thing called an Atari 400.

It had 16k of memory, and the OS was contained on a Eprom chip.

(It looked like one of those cartridges that came with the old Atari 2600 machines that we used to play Pac-Man on.)

You openned a little flap in the top cover of the machine, and plugged it in, and then you could write simple programs. You could also play the 2600 cartridges on it.

The unit had only a tape cassette recorder to save your work on, as there were no hard drives as of yet, and the language it used was similiar to Pet Basic.

The only difference was that some of the PEEK & POKE codes didn't always work.

I remember it as being around 1982 when this machine came out, but I'm not entirely sure that, that is an accurate timeframe.

As to the display, you also had to hook it up to a T.V set, with a RF Modulator - The computer did not have a whole lot of colors, 16 if I can remember correctly.

My first computer was a 486. Most people around me had splashed out on a pentium at that time. My computer had 16 megs ram, Intel 60MHz CPU, two hard drives at around 100 mb each, a stiffy drive (3.5in floppy drive), a black and white monitor displaying 256 shades of grey, a mose and ran Windows 95. It also ran command & conquer pretty well.

I'm not really that old so my first pc was a AMD Athlon64 2800+, Radeon 9600 XT, 512Mb RAM, 24-bit SoundBlaster Live, Windows XP and whatever Ubuntu there was at the time.

Nice thread!,

i had an atari, it was ridiculously fun with its joystick and those cartridges!

if this counts as a computer; i'm going to find the specs now...!

Here they are:

i think it was the XE/L SERIES but I can't be sure,

apparantly it had 130,000 bytes of memory!!!!!

what a BEAST! but my god, was it fun :P

upon further investigation I found it was not this one, but a less powerful one! I still cannot identify it but its one of the beige coloured ones shown here: :P maybe it was the 1040ST or the 260ST???!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(sorry if linking is not allowed)

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

i don't quite remember what it was, all i remember is that it was a win. 95 and it froze about every 10 minutes... i also remember it being an advanced package or something, and it came pre installed with Doom 95!

o.O my first was a 486 running on windows 3.1but i actually use it to run a gameboy emulator to play pokemon roms! lol... those really are the days.. windows 3.1 nv crash on me once be4.. much less mention the BSOD..

my first computer was atari .. cant remember the number after it but i think it was something like 2600. it was really cool because this console was almost as old as me back that time. had it at my grandmas home so everytime i met her i could play all nioght long because she never sent me to bed. my first real computer, PC, was an aplle macintish with 8 mb ram, 80 megabyte hard disk to play games like frogger. tried some 3d game on it later and after shooting a bullet i could go away to get some tea till it has hit its target.

My first computer was a Commodore 64. We were really proud of it being the only ones around owning one. We could not afford the floppy disk drive right from the start so in the beginning, for me as a kid, the computer was quite dull. With the floppy drive I soon realized that computers are fun - something that excites me until this very day. After the C64 my parents were unwilling to pay for the next generation, the AMIGA 500. Therefore the next computer for me a bit later was an IBM compatible 286 and my first game for it was Police Quest 1 :P

my first computer was the good ol' apple, and I remember being baffled at how much it could do, as well as how easy it was to use...MMMM THARS POWER FER YA! oh yeah, and that was also back when floppy disks were still floppy...and large :P

I started out with a Pentium 1. That was really slow. It was slower than a turtle. Well now I have an AMD Athlon. The pentium one I owned was in India. The last one I used before leaving India was pentium 4. Thats all my computer history

Ho Ho Ho ;) Im just 20 years old and I have my first comuper before 13 yearss !!! ;) it was: 40 Mhz 486 processor unit 4 megabytes of ram memory500 MB hard drive hitachi ;)512 KB video card memory14'' PerComp monitor...floppy drive MitubishiWITH WINDOWS 3.11 :P or just DOS!!!no sound cart and CD but 1995 my parents bought me a Cd - i dont remember the company but i remember that it was 24x :D and it was the fastest :D

The oldest computer I handled is a PCXT, complete with occassionaly-failing 5.25 hard disk that only contained 20 megabytes.

I had a Compaq, Desktop, Windows 98. And no Internet.It was a happy day when I got a new Computer.