xisto Community
ckuehner

First Computer You Ever Owned What was the first personal computer tha

Strangely I bought my first computer in 1999. It was a Macintosh powerbook G3 Lombard with 384 MB of Ram and a 6 GB HD. The processor ran at 409 Mhz and it had all of 8 MB VRAM. The 2nd level cache failed though so it was retired a couple years ago. In 2001 I had to buy a Toshiba Satellite for work that still runs alright, though it has issues. About three months ago, I bought my second computer for personal use, the all new MacBook Pro with a 17" screen and a C2D Intel processor running at 2.33Mhz, 2GB RAM, 256MB VRAM (ATI RadeonX1600), 160GB HD and it's sweeeeeet.

Nice computer hah...Well, me When I was young or lets say young compared today. I am hoping to own my computer but can't afford to buy, When I was in high school I dont know whats the look of computer, still curious whats really computer is, when I was college, that was the first time ever that I used computers, no idea yet, don't know how to use the mouse, or even response to those computer message that sometimes appeared when booting in dos mode. After college I worked and started to save money just to own even old computers.
I learned how to fixed computer and yet can't own one. After a couple of months of saving money for my computer I bought computer I don't know what version is that but pentium with 4mb of memory 500mb+ hardisk, I think that was older that pentium II,,,;) I set it up and used it, I can't play games there because it runs very slow, when somebody asked me where he can buy computer even the old one, I offered to him my computer and sell it for Php5,000 pesos. NOTE, I bough that unit for only Php 3,500 so I've got a little earn from that and start building a new one.

So the second computer I own is pentium III 550mhz with 128mb memory and the third one is AMD 800mhz and the last one is AMD Duron 2.0 with 512mb of memory that computer is the one I used while posting this post of mine ;)

During that time also I realized how fast the computer changed maybe 2 or 3 months there is a new computer on the market, so your computer today would be older by tomorrow or two...;)

I don't remember specifics (I was young at the time) but I do know that it was just a basic Gateway machine. I don't know what caused it to be so bad...whether it was me downloading music or just our family's lack of computer knowledge.I moved onto an emachines with basic capabilities. It was around 500 bucks at the time and I really loved it. Looking back it's easy to see that it wasn't htat great but all i really used it for was typing and music listening. Since then i've gone through a laptop (with low space and memory) that didn't do too much to get me to where I am now.

My first computer was a 386 8mhz, it had 4mb of ram, and a 150mb MFM hard drive, and of course the best 16 colors available :P, after that I got a 486 dx 33 with 16mb of ram, and a 340mb hard drive, that computer was so small, i couldnt fit a regular cd drive inside it, so i cut the wires and extended them and taped the cd drive on top of my computer... had to be the ugliest computer I have ever owned.

Lol, I'm not that old, only 16, but here's my first PC's specs:24(Yes, that's right, 24) MB RAM;I don't really remember what processor it had, Pentium something...;24x speed CD-ROM drive(No burning :P);2MB integrated video card;And a 10 GB hardrive. xD-JD

The first computer that *I* owned (as in - wasn't Mom's) was an IBM 386. The thing ran Win 3.x, but I miraculously pulled off an upgrade to Win 95 (boy, did that computer protest). I don't remember most of the specs at this point, but they were far from impressive by today's standards. Even the keyboard was weird. I don't know if some of you remember IBM's earlier keyboards, but the thing had this massive, coiled cord. The keys were anything BUT quiet to the touch. Said keys also had caps over them with the letters/numbers/symbols painted on. I popped them all off (since I touch type) and the keyboard was a lot more comfortable for me to use. Not having marked keys drove everyone else nuts, though. Anybody who couldn't touch type just gave up. :P

It's the one I have now.I got it this year.533mhz intel pentium three.384 mb ram.really old mother board30gig HD.and ummm some crappy intregrated video card. i am upgrading with a new hard drive+processor and a new mobo for my birhtday probably. then on christmas im getting a new video card and 1 gig of ram.i'm probably gonna get a new case and monitor too eventually.sweet huh?running windows 2000 btw.

First computer...

First Computer You Ever Owned

Not sure if they really qualify as computers or not, but I had a Vic20 and a Commodore 64. I remember typing reams of gobbledy gook to get a 5 second tone like "wind" from the thing, lol. Before that I used some old beast of a thing in school, typing BASIC commands. We sold popcorn at my school to raise money to buy it, one of the first Toronto schools to have a computer!! Then my mom bought a Tandy something or other from Radio Shack. The thing was phenominally expensive...I remember it was around $3600, and my mom bought it on a five-year plan! I used an IBM 386 and 486 for work, Harvard Graphics being the most exciting thing ever at the time. I left the "office" field just as Windows 3.1 entered the scene. My next PC was a Pentium 3, 533 with 4 GB HD (which I still use as a secondary in my kids' PC). I know have 3 desktops, and a laptop, in a household of two pre-teens and one adult. 1 runs 98, I XP Home, 1 XP MCE with tuner, and one Vista. 2 new desktops on the way for the kids, since most games won't run on their older AMD XP 2400. Both Vista, since they are "curious" kids, and Vista has great parental controls.

-electra

first computer

Replying to ckuehner Mine was a radio shack TRS-80 -- that right, the trash-80. Remember when a modem was a little box that you had to lay an old phone receiver right on to? and we used cassette tapes to save everything. Had to program our own games too. Played text based games like hamurabi. Sooooo pathetic!

-reply by cin67

first computer

Replying to ckuehner Mine was a radio shack TRS-80 -- that right, the trash-80. Remember when a modem was a little box that you had to lay an old phone receiver right on to? and we used cassette tapes to save everything. Had to program our own games too. Played text based games like hamurabi. Sooooo pathetic!

-reply by cin67

My first computer was running windows 98, had a whopping 1.5GB Hard drive, and a massive 32mb worth of ram. No Graphics card. And I can't remember what the CPU was, probably a p1 or p2

Edited by saitunes (see edit history)

Hello,

Comparing to today's technology, I can say my pc need to upgrade now.

My pc having

512MB RAM

40GB hard disk

2.8GHZ processor speed

no graphic card

no dvd reader/recorder

Having pentium-4 processor

This is my first pc with great configuration i have still :lol: , now its time to upgrade..

what you think?

Edited by blackcaps (see edit history)