xisto Community
alexia

Use Of Technology In High School

My high school still has keyboarding ><Anyways, I've grown up with some form of computers. I mastered Windows 98 by 4th grade and I was doing HTML by 6th. I went to a magnet intermediate school and took Tech Apps for two years as well as becoming a tech-aide (we did errands with computer and site maintenance around the school as well as creating an 8th grade movie for the end of the year). It was actually that year that I got 1st in my state's website competition for a historical site, which was really spiffy. Here at high school, I'm not as motivated to join any tech classes because the number of tech noobs exceeds every year. My school's website absolutely sucks because for one, the colors are red, black, and silver. I could think of something pleasant on the eyes to do with those colors, but they went for *ugh* frames with black backgrounds, silver text, red images, and uglies like that. I hate it so much. To summarize, I'm 15, a "s'more", and I don't like my school's views on technology at all.Noobs scare me away from everything, it seems :D

my school has an ok budget for technology stuff. they replace the computers like every other year in some parts of the school. they are not top of the line or anything but they are good enough to get the job done. But i agree that schools really need to expand the curriculum in the technology area. two years ago i took a website authoring class and they hardly teach you anything. they tell you the basics and make you use frames (which i rarely see used anymore). then they put you on dreamweaver which does everything for you, so if you didnt understand things in the first place, it didnt really matter. and everything i do seems to be almost self-taught stuff in school. the teachers hardly do anything except give you a book to read or an assignment. it just seems that technology is speeding ahead while a lot of the education about the technology is just lagging behind in many schools.

155220[/snapback]

I used to do Intern for my high.., we did the same thing that was stated above..., we had some old p133 computers that we just through out. Although, they did have windows 95 on it.., they was still slow to use. I can only imagine how much slower they would have been if they had XP on them because of the framework of the processor and the operating system. Here soon, I will be hired at the High School, and i can give you more information about schools and computer usage.

Lol, i once had to help my pc teacher with turning the pc on. She "Forgot"...Well i am the best with the pc in my class. no one knows what photoshop is. The only thing the do is play runescape & habbohotel all day -_-

Well lets see here.......School technology kinda suks but we cna work with it lil but thay need upgrade alot *BLEEP* don't u guys think so if u say i cuz i sure do think so thay got some really old stuff i telling u it really old but everyone can work with even i work with it but its hard but i make it tho it

As someone mentioned earlier. "Your basicly disabled if you can't use a computer", i myself am not saying everyone should go sit on the pc all day like i do, but they should atleast get advanced with it.

At our school there is a big attention, shown to IT. We even have computers in our school corridors -_- Our teachers are very good and also teaches things we don't know generally (it should be so)...

I disagree with the first post, well that is I know that the idea of having technology help education is right but still there might be some people who dislike computer or hate using it.Then they just need to know the basic, right. Just know how to operate it well and something like delete, copy, type, analyse, system operating or something like that.

I really despise high school students that can learn real computer skills in their school; part because my school's computer program is crap. Anybody can use the computer better than the computer teacher, and most of us don't even get a computer class.

The result? Half of my classmates doesn't know how to use Excel or Powerpoint. Most of them hardly know what Photoshop is. Technology is progressing at a really high rate, and it is becoming a big part of our lives. You're basically disabled if you can't use a computer. So why doesn't high school education put so focus into teaching the use of technology? Why wait until the college days?

I don't see any reason how a technology class would not enhance the traditional subjects. By learning more, we can enlarge our view and broaden our knowledge.

Maybe this is more social than technology lol.

154126[/snapback]

In most school they teach powerpoint because its a very powerfull tool. Im with you i think they should teach technology in everyschool and every Person is supose to have it

In my opinion this technology thing is not learned at school, it is at their homes if they have a computer and internet access. I know some people at my school who take computer classes but if they are not interested they will only know like photoshop is an image editing program but if they dont really care about using it they will never be able to create graphics in it. I know some friends who have taken programming and application software (excel etc.) and about a year after they forget how to use it, to the point where they dont know how to do anythin in them. It is all about caring, if you care about technology you will know when the next processor is coming out, what speed, what program to use for something etc. In school all the can do is show you the doors, in the end it wont matter cause you decide if you want to cross them or not.

my bro goes to highschool now and I asked him he said that each classroom has like one 1995 computer. But their is a computer lab with like 50 2004's. We live in Spokane,Wa and he goes to Luis and Clark (LC)

I really despise high school students that can learn real computer skills in their school; part because my school's computer program is crap. Anybody can use the computer better than the computer teacher, and most of us don't even get a computer class.

The result? Half of my classmates doesn't know how to use Excel or Powerpoint. Most of them hardly know what Photoshop is. Technology is progressing at a really high rate, and it is becoming a big part of our lives. You're basically disabled if you can't use a computer. So why doesn't high school education put so focus into teaching the use of technology? Why wait until the college days?

I don't see any reason how a technology class would not enhance the traditional subjects. By learning more, we can enlarge our view and broaden our knowledge.

154126[/snapback]

well at my high school we are required to take classes to learn how to use power point, excel,and how to Type

So i think your lucky not to have to do all that stuff

Lol my school is the same way the best thing we learned about computers in schoool is how to type (this is 8th+ when they tought us this) i mean come on how pathetic we learned typing in 2nd grade (me 1st grade :P). This is rediculous atleast there are sites like this that teach us about technology and spread our horizion to more learning( and fun at the same time)

154126[/snapback]

My school has one computer program and it's computer applications. We have this other thing call VHS(virtual high school) where we can take classes on any subject. That is the only place we have where we can take courses on computers. Currently I am taking Web Design and Internet Research. My school only has about 375 kids. We can't even afford teachers!

The school system is horrible.

I SOOO agree....and it isnt just one or two schools. I went to 7 different HSs and they all were the same. I am 20 now, and i am just now learning the intermediate (X)HTML, I mean I could have easily learned it in hs, but now i am forced to sqeeze it in between a job 20 credit hours, and a girl friend. And the worse thing is i so much want to learn PHP and MySQL and all that really fun stuff.....but by time i learn that i will be an old man grey hair and all. So none of you should feel bad.....just save 20 bucks and go find a book....its much more difficult than learning in a class room but its some of us' only choice.