xisto Community
alexia

Use Of Technology In High School

True, but that still doesn't mean that we should use Turbo C instead of Borland's C++ builder (that can also compile C code). If we type our code in Turbo C (windowed mode), the letters appear very slowly, and it is very annoying and difficult to do our work, the situation is better if we switch to full screen mode, but then the resolution drops and the screen refresh rate is 70Hz... Plus, if we want to switch to graphics mode, we have to type a very large portion of code just to draw a line on the screen (in C++ builder, we would just put a button onto a form).

If they would start with this it would be great. In my country we have kinda "class of Information", just in the 1 year (secondary school) where we learn how to use word, power point, excel. But that's nothing new for me. This things I already know and it was a little boring for me to listen and to do this things all over again. It would be better if they'll try to teach us something more interesting, like programming in different languages,... The main problem why this has not started yet and it doesn't look that it will start soon is money. The technology is developing to fast. If they want to teach us new things that would mean that they have to buy kinda each 2 years new computers, new software, etc.Ant that's not really cheap. Just for one school that would be about 50.000 ?, I guess?And for whole country?? Each 2 years to spend that much money :D But still, if we look from other side, that's not good, because people need to know how to use computers if they want to get a good job in the future. :unsure:

guess what? i went to my college conference yesterday, thay are using windows me or windows 2000 pro, i dont remember but damn slow, crappy hardware. i think i have AMD 2500 in my secondary school and microsoft windows xp pro. anyway. the course in my college is worth 2 A-levels (basically 2 qualification) and all we going for the course is about learning how to built a computer, understanding mircrosoft windows office and that kind of things, i thought we need to write up programs or some script before i went there, this is really dissapointed me as we still doing microsoft office in college.

My school has a horrible budget for everything, but technology especially. Last year they installed Windows 2000 Professional on the computers and the computer teacher acted like she was given a free copy of Photoshop. Thats how horrible our technology is. By the way the computers are around 7-8 years old now.

Windows 2000 professional on those old computers!? I lost my mind when my teachers installed Windows NT on a bunch of old Pentium 1 machines (with RAM memory ranging from 16 to a maximum of 32MB)! Even on the "strongest machine" (233MHz, 32MB ram, 2.5GB HDD), Windows NT is sloooooow! I don't know how they even dared to try out Windows 2000...Thank God, we don't use these computers anymore, only the new ones, however, some classes are still learning Word 2000 on it!

My schools techonology is ok. I think they try to upgrade once a year or so. Thre is this new techonology that lets you touch the projector screen like you would on a touch screen computer. Its so cool. But we don't have that at our school. As it cost thousands. I tinkn it depends on the school. My school is a magnet so it has all these computer classes like BCIS and stuff. I guess it depends on city and state budget. I think you should move to some rich disctrict. They'll have updated stuff.

Heh, the computers at our school all use Windows NT, it's really stupid. But, well, their capacity makes up for it.Though they run games like Counter Strike (the old 1999 one) extremely slowly (as in it takes 20mins to make and connect to a server, and if more than 2 people connect at the same time it lags out :-S)But they upgrade the computers every year, so it's fine.

Well, when I was in high school I don't even know the actual look of computer because I don't computer subject... When I was in college I started using computer but found it to hard for me to used, word, excel, paintbrush is very difficult for me. Now I learned how important the computer is, and today, if you don't know computer phased out. he he he.. Lately I realize how important the technology is, so I think children now especially high school student should learn to live in the modern world. "COMPUTER" must be part of there subject... Anyway, kids now are very smart when it comes to computer, my neighbor having two computers at home for their two kids, the kids about 5 and 8 years of age, they know how to used computers, play counterstrike, warcraft, and many more.. how interesting but they only knew games,,, thats not what the children should learn about computer... not only games but instead, to play and to create the games...I agreed with you people, computer is part of our lives... :-) I started to think how to teach my 3 year old daughter to learn computer.. :unsure:

My High School has a couple of Computer Classes, but none are really any help. Computer Graphics and Design is a class in which you use Corel Draw to creat graphics. Digital Art and Design uses Macromedia. and that's about all. A new class has been introduced called independant study in which you can choose absolutly anything you want to do. I chose Web programming and so did a friend. so that's the only way we are able to learn anything usefull with computers. other people in that class chose other things that didn't have anything to do with computers so it isn't really a computer class either.

I really despise high school students that can learn real computer skills in their school; part because my school's computer program is crap.

154126[/snapback]

i dont understand your hatred for others who have it better than you, and those that have it better than them. Yes computer technology is a very useful tool in teaching wether in marking for teachers or powerpoints in teaching new subjects, techonology in my high school is used well. we have a fair amount of labs but courses not 'requiring' computers are still taught out of those things called 'textbooks' which can also be very useful.

you shouldnt hate those highschools that actual use technology you should hate yours (which you might already) for not.

also dont depend on highschool or college to teach you how to use a computer, more can be learnt at home. surfing the web.

I think my High School's technology program is actually pretty nice.All students are required to to BCIS (Business Computer Information Systems) which includes classes on how to use Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, PowerPoint, Access, Excel, and Publisher extensively.The BCIS class also shows you how to type correctly, and the basics of a computer.My school also offers training extensive in JavaScript, C++, and Visual Basic 6.0.Even though they teach us all of this, their networking system setup sucks.I'm a 15 year old freshman who has access to their main administrator account, I mean I'm not even that big of a nerd that I should be able to do this..I know at least 20 other people who have access to it aswell...

Technology has a big effect and contribute a lot in our life, imagine the world now without computer, so for me, it is important to be updated in school not only in high school but in the elementary, they should learn the basic as other said basics put you in the next level. if the technology is the center of every businesses we need to be in and to be part of it... I agreed that they must increase and improve the use of technology in school since school is the foundations of every students for their career...:unsure: hope to go back in grade school and study assembly language.. :D

i graduated from hs with our school not having that much in the techno world.times are changing and im sure one way or another these places will have to adapt for them in time...and yeah, some of my classmates dont know much about those pc programs either~

Hell yea, your case is "really" like me..computer at my school is tottaly out of dated, stupid broadband connection in fact sometimes it can turn on B)Computer at my school are custom made P4, when it first come it's works fine and quite fast comparing other computer at same class. But's it's getting way to slower, and because those some stupid student who way really behind in technology, studied computer at the same computer lab with my class.and the results 76 virus found, more than 200 spyware program, stupid ads ware program make the computer worse, pop up advertisement. at the day exactly 2 weeks old of the computer.Unfortunately, the teacher whose I think didn't know much about computer, not being arrogant but I think I'm better than him and befitting.Beleive this or not? I'm the one who introduced him antivirus program :D , my bad...Okay this is very personal of him, since he bit stupid and didn't know anything about cookies and history :D With some freeware program that easily found on the internet, I read his history of visited website, and what I found is really make me "shock" :D he open xxx website while not teaching any class or on break time, altough he already deleted his hitory on IE, with the program I'm still able to retrieve it again.Man this's too bad, however he's good at Microsoft Office, and he tought me much about microsoft excel.