xisto Community
Dragonfly

Yahoo! Mail Warns Me, Please Help *DETECTED* Online User Violation (true?)

I'm receiving the folloing quoted messages from mail@yahoo.com with zip file as an attachment. I am quite disturbed with the message. Could this message be true Or should I ignore it? As far as my knowledge is concerned I have never sent any spam messages using my yahoo mail account. And I hate spam messages too. What if they eventually close down my yahoo email ID!! :rolleyes: Does anyone get the same message? The thing is that this mail reaches to my Junk mailbox too. Please give your opinion!

Dear Yahoo Member,
Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.

Virtually yours,
The Yahoo Support Team

sounds suspicious... yahoo would not be in its right mind if they are going to send you an attachment of any kind, on the pretext that it needs to be "confirmed" so as not to run afoul with their service. more importantly, if it got filtered to your junk mailbox, then there is something definitely wrong there, since legitimate emails from yahoo are not filtered by them (yahoo), and they always fall in the inbox.clicking attachments is the "master plan" for all trojans to get into your system.

If the return address is a legitimate Yahoo! support team?s address, you really should respond and explain that you did no such thing.If this is a hoax (which I don't think so) Yahoo! cannot be used to serve as a mass emailing since its server won't let that happen. Worms are targeting personal computers and not email servers (such as Yahoo!). But in any case, if this is a hoax you can always click on spam block.Respond to it. Someone might have used your Yahoo! email as a return address (easily done with any offline email program) and sent spam out. Also, include in your response that you will cooperate to the fullest of your abilities. However, do not volunteer any personal information and when asked for sensitive information, do not give them over the email. Instead choose to call their 800 number.EDIT: Oh I just remembered, any email from Yahoo! itself will have light blue highlight on the line. Look for that.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

This is very strange. I would scan the file for viruses if you want to check if it is legitamite. It seems very unlikely that Yahoo would send of all files a zip file. Scan it and if there are no viruses investigate it. If you can, try e-mailing Yahoo after you investigate.

I have contacted Yahoo Customer Care Team through the Customer care support feedback form from Yahoo! Website. I hope they will respond me within few days. If Yahoo! ever suspend my account because of this, it will be a big problem for me because I use my yahoo account extensively and many important files are also stored there. Besides one cannot easily get a signatured-type of email address. Once you lost your prestigious email ID, you don't feel comfortable at all. It could kill your mood too.Last time I've lost one of my Yahoo! email ID. One girl thought that my email ID was his brother's email ID and used to send me a very personal email to me. I replied and informed her that she had sent it to a wrong address. After sometime i couldn't retrieve my yahoo password, it was really frustrating. Till now I haven't got back the email ID as well.

I get weird attchments from Yahoo all the time but in my bulkmail. I just delete them. Its good that you tried to contact Yahoo cause if its a hoax they will appreciate the heads up plus they can inform others. Dont click on any attachment if you are not certain of the source.

Most likely this is fake. First of all they wouldn't send a zip file. Second, people spoof yahoo customer support addresses ALL the time to get your info. Its a very common scam. Also, would yahoo use words like we detected a "huge" amount of unsolicited spam. I don't think so. They would provide more of a proof you did something wrong than "huge". Lastly, they are a huge company with millions of customers and would think nothing of simply terminating your account if they felt you violated terms of service. These types of things are more or less automated. There would be no questions asked. Now that I've thought it through completely, there is no doubt in my mind this is fake. Ignore the email.

Yes, I agree with others, and believe it to be fake. Yahoo ro such large services do not warn people, they just terminate their accounts, and that is the end of it. Second, they would not use email mail@yahoo.com. Most likely it would be office, support or something like that.One thing I noticed is they added some sort of verification service that the email is really originating from yahoo. Next, I really think they would have terminated your acccount, and send you notification on your other email address, you entered when you registered..I am sure customer support will tell you that this is fake email. And thank you for notifying us :rolleyes:

yeah, I am sure this is a fake.. coz.. Yahoo would never send you an attachment to click and confirm. In genunine cases, it would have a link on the yahoo domain where you need to go and furnish the explanation of something of that sort, but definitely online stuff and not anything to do with attachment. This is most probably a virus or a trojan. Another thing that you can do is view the header and determine th ip address of the source. Do an who is lookup for that ip and see whether it belongs to yahoo! . If it does not then it surely is not from yahoo! , but that does not mean that if it belongs to yahoo! it is genuine. There are ways to do that too but just a simple check which might be useful in some cases.Cheers.

Well, if you have a yahoo account, then I say open the attachment. Why? Yahoo will scan it for you to tell you if it has any viruses on it. If yes, then you know it's spam, so you shouldn't download the attachment. If the attachment is clean, download it and open it. Simple.

This is a pure hoax because:

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

153800[/snapback]

I have seen this sentence in a "phishing" scam e-mail message before! (I think that it was sent to PayPal members)

2. Yahoo! mail support doesn't send attachments in their e-mail messages.

3. If you have really sent a really large amount of spam e-mail messages recently, your Yahoo! Mail account would be surely terminated by now! Why would they ask you for excuses when you have a free e-mail account?

4. Yahoo mail messages usually come from support@yahoo.com

5. It reached your spam (bulk) mailbox! I doubt that Yahoo would deliver this kind of sensitive information would to your spam mailbox!

I guess that the attachment contains a trojan or a virus, but it usually contains "very important form that you need to fill". That form usually asks for you password! Yahoo staff will NEVER ask you for your password, and that includes other free mail services!

You can ignore this message, or report it:

GMail has a feature "Report Phishing", but I think that Yahoo doesn't have this one-click feature. You should forward that message with a brief explanation that you are not sure whether this e-mail message is a hoax or not to abuse@yahoo.com.

Keep your eyes open for these kinds of phishing scams!

Yahoo does send mail for new updates etc but its official, easy to spot...they go out of their way to let you know its them. If you are involved in groups and change your email they will ask you to verify you address but other than that they dont mail attachments so beware.

a good idea of what to do would to email support@yahoo.comof your problem and congirm if they actually sent that you never know hackers may have hacked into your account and actually spammed or... that mail is just a fake to a virus or some sort of infection to infect your computer

Actually, I read about how to send an email using any address. So I think that's not the real thing. I never heard of Yahoo! sending attachments! It has suspicious written all over it! I suggest you ignore it, and or delete it. Those types of mail aren't worth your time. Trust me. I agree with the others. It's highly doubtful that it's legitimate.