xisto Community
Dragonfly

Yahoo! Mail Warns Me, Please Help *DETECTED* Online User Violation (true?)

i got this too lol...but it had a *BLEEP* load of wierd email addresses up at the top like 7 other that were close to mine but not exact lol... so i was bored and my computer needed a refreshing load of windows anyways... so i opened the file .... guess waht big suprise... VIRUS!!!! norton and microsoft anti spyware picked it up so fast (instantly....)btw the yahoo thingy also detected it but i was bored... so i still opened itso DONT Open it unless your bored like me and like to reload windows alot lol

Funny how you all received this thing so late. I got mine last 2004. =^^=

I admit that I got a bit worried about it, so I e-mailed Yahoo! customer care for clarifications. The reply I got had a lot of copy-pasted material from their knowledge base, but it basically runs down to this: "The emails are scams." Well, duh!

The reply I got also had a little info about these kinds of suspicious emails. To see what it's about, check out this article in Yahoo's knowledge base. The information may be a little outdated considering that this all started back in '04, but it's still relevant. And in case you've received similar e-mails and are starting to panic, I'd like to quote a piece from the aforementioned article:

... simply viewing your email messages in Yahoo! Mail does not make your computer vulnerable to the worm. Attachments sent along with emails are not a threat to your system if you do not download or open them... The Yahoo! Mail Abuse team recommends that you never download files from an unknown source.

Simple common sense. =^^=

Interesting things,you can check the MIME code of this mail.then just download the zip,scan it with your anti-virus.then what for it>? just deleted the mail and do nothing to it.

I hold the same stand as everyone else here. Just ignore it and hopefully you won't have any problems.

But that's still a remote chance since Yahoo has implemented "mail originator" protocol where a hidden headline can verify if it was actually sent by Yahoo or not.

197879[/snapback]

In Gmail, which I use, you can easilty view those headers. To do so, click More Options at the top of a message, and click Show Original. That will show the email with all the headers and replies and stuff.

When you're using a Yahoo! account, whenever Yahoo! sends you mail, it is ALWAYS outlined in this blue color. Most of the mail Yahoo! sends to me is usually advertisement, and asking me to get SBC YAHOO! DSL (which I already have, ironic, isn't it?). If it is not outlined in blue, it is pure spam, and someone messing around and just have no life trying to give you a virus.

I think that you should reply to the message asking for proof of any sort that they are valid Yahoo! Support, and not just some hoax. If they are not, report it to Yahoo! and get them banned!P.S. - Gmail is better!

Well, if you have a yahoo account, then I say open the attachment. Why? Yahoo will scan it for you to tell you if it has any viruses on it. If yes, then you know it's spam, so you shouldn't download the attachment. If the attachment is clean, download it and open it. Simple.

I would necessarily rely on Yahoo's virus scanner, since it could be a new one some script kiddy whipped up. Most likely, you should allow Yahoo! to check if the email's really coming from their support team's email. Yahoo! tends to automate everything. You should call them up if worse comes to worse and you'd wish to verify it's not a scam. Another way would be to check the email it is coming from.

Seeing as how this thread is almost 1 year old, I'm pretty sure this issue is resolved now....Thread closed.