xisto Community
Milk

Broken Websites On Firefox?

Is there a reason as to why certain websites don't show up properly on FireFox?Like..for every website that I've made, the layouts look perfectly fine on IE, but when I get on Firefox, they get all messed up? Is there a way to fix this? Like for instance, my current site has a picture on the left side and an iframe on the right. It's perfectly fine on IE, but when my friend uses FF to view it, he was saying how he had to scroll down to see the content....like the iframe was moved to the bottom of the picture or something?

hmmm.....=/ So that means that FireFox is limited to only certain/some websites? Lame.

hmmm.....=/ So that means that FireFox is limited to only certain/some websites? Lame.

No, what it means is that you haven't coded your site properly. IE isn't a web standards-compliant browser; Firefox is. So is Opera. You should go back & review your code. If you're having trouble you should check out tutorials etc online or post here and I'll see if you I can help you.
And just for the record, I've only ever come across 1 website that wouldn't 'work' in Firefox.

or, you get yourself a firefox browser and create your website according to the firefox browser, cause firefox cant show IE can show, IE can show what firefox can show...

What Thyssen said. The pages aren't broken with Firefox, they're just broken, period.If I were you I'd try to make my page work in Firefox and Opera, and chances are that it will work for IE as well. And if it doesn't you can fix it. The point is that (in my experience) it is ofent easier to work with validating pages than just pages that happen to work in IE.Just my two cents.

@_@ I don't get all this mumbo jumbo. Oh well, thanks guys.

When you create your website you used Internet Explorer to view what you had created.Now when a Firefox user opens it up it looks all "broken".When you create Webpages you need to have the different browsers installed so that you can test your created page out.You need to install Firefox, and create pages based off of what it looks like with Firefox, and/or Internet Explorer.or You can simply put on your page best viewed with internet Explorer 5+, etc.

I suggest reading the standards set out by The W3C. All these standards and examples should display fine in all standard browsers. There are also tips all over the Internet concerning how to make a site compliant. It is a good idea to install Firefox to check any code you write will display how you want it to.

I've had FireFox, but I hate using it.I checked my code....it was fine, but I had to make a lot of adjustments =/ Thanks again...I suppose.

If anyone wants to see a site that works with Internet Explorer but doesn't with Firefox, here's one that I came across.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As you can see in Firefox, the menu on the left side doesn't open, the little titles for the textboxes don't appear, the little animations at the top of the page when you load it doesn't show, and the banner seems to be not aligned, which makes it look bad.

I would suggest not using iframes. Not sure why they're so popuplar anyway. I always design sites for firefox and it always works out in ie. Seems simpler. It's probably not your code, unless you wrote the thing yourself, but the code that's generated from the editor that your using. You should really get rid of all redundant tags.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Is there a reason as to why certain websites don't show up properly on FireFox?

Like..for every website that I've made, the layouts look perfectly fine on IE, but when I get on Firefox, they get all messed up? Is there a way to fix this? Like for instance, my current site has a picture on the left side and an iframe on the right. It's perfectly fine on IE, but when my friend uses FF to view it, he was saying how he had to scroll down to see the content....like the iframe was moved to the bottom of the picture or something?

153178[/snapback]

There are two reasons why some websites don't show up correctly on Firefox. The first is that the website is coded in ASP (Active Server Pages). ASP belongs to Windows, so naturally, it will only show up as intended on Internet Explorer. This is NOT Firefox's fault. It's completely Microsoft's.

The second reason is poor coding technique. People nowadays use frames and tables for layouts or they use an application such as Dreamweaver to design their site. Some programs generate poor HTML code, so they will show up correctly on one browser but not on another browser. I would recommend coding your site from scratch and reading up on W3C standards if you want your site to work on all browsers.

You might also want to check that web page against w3c standards: http://validator.w3.org/

153183[/snapback]

Sort of, but it's not Firefox's fault. Google "firefox and ASP" to read more on this issue. The other issue, as I mentioned above, is the coding technique.

No, what it means is that you haven't coded your site properly.

153203[/snapback]

Exactly.

I've had FireFox, but I hate using it.

I checked my code....it was fine, but I had to make a lot of adjustments =/ Thanks again...I suppose.

153371[/snapback]

Why do you hate using Firefox? It's more secure; it's sleaker; it's faster; and web pages will show up as intended.

Do you mind showing us all your code so we can analyze it for you? I'm sure somebody here will be able to point out your error.

I checked my code....it was fine

I think you're missing the point: if it didn't show up properly in FF, then your code isn't fine, it's wrong.

If anyone wants to see a site that works with Internet Explorer but doesn't with Firefox, here's one that I came across.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I wouldn't say the site doesn't work, just the menu on the left and probably because it's using javascript that hasn't been written properly to take account of all browsers.

There are two reasons why some websites don't show up correctly on Firefox. The first is that the website is coded in ASP (Active Server Pages). ASP belongs to Windows, so naturally, it will only show up as intended on Internet Explorer. This is NOT Firefox's fault. It's completely Microsoft's.

I don't think that's got anything to do with it as what is sent to the browser is HTML/XHTML, not ASP. But to follow your logic for a bit, if you're testing ASP pages in IE and there's something wrong, you'll often get a 500 Internal Server Error with no further explanation of the error. View the same page in Firefox and it'll point to the line in your code that is causing problems. Certainly doesn't sound like Firefox not handling ASP as well as IE. :P

I don't think that's got anything to do with it as what is sent to the browser is HTML/XHTML, not ASP. But to follow your logic for a bit, if you're testing ASP pages in IE and there's something wrong, you'll often get a 500 Internal Server Error with no further explanation of the error. View the same page in Firefox and it'll point to the line in your code that is causing problems. Certainly doesn't sound like Firefox not handling ASP as well as IE. :P

153430[/snapback]

For my defense, I wanna say that it's been a long time since I've heard the explanation, but I saw a segment on an old episode of The Screensavers where Patrick Norton explained it. If you try to download updates from Microsoft with a browser, it will often work better if you use Internext Explorer than it will in Firefox. Coincidentally, the extension name of the update pages is .aspx.

By the way, my name is snlildude87, not sunster13. :P I do agree, though, that Fast Reply is so much quicker than normal reply.

Edit: Fixed my BBCode.

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)