xisto Community
DoR

General Discussion: Artificial Intelligence (AI) Projects, software, tools... etc.

IT depends as long as we keep some basic control over the Artifiical 'Beings' (read: Things) then I cant see it going wrong, you know something along the lines of an off switch so if it started maiming innocent people we could just switch it off. This might seem to defeat the object but I dont think the should have emotions, I mean I don't want ny kitchen appliances suddenly not working cause I forgot it was its 1 year 'anniversary' or something like that. So yeah aslong as the people making them have ultimate control I really don't see why it should all go IROBOT on us. And on a little side note seeing as it was mentioned: whats up with the Matrix, why would they want to escape an nice albeit fake world where there are no machines trying to liquify their brains, and they don't have to eat slop in a can.

Robots with the ai at the level in a movie like I Robot are not going to be around any time soon, so as far as I'm concerned, I'll be dead before I have to worry about killer robots that take over the world. In the meantime, it would be nice to have a cleaning robot that cooks and does the dishes... Oh well. Maybe next century

I believe that if we built an AI society then we would come to depend to much upon them. If all of the sudden there was found to be a very bad programming glitch or something like that then what would we do. We would already be to dependent upon these things that we would scarecly be able to go back to work again or anything like that. Or another thing is if they got to smart and started wondering why they had to take orders from us do you know what kind of army that would be likly to create. AI is bad and it may help us to a degree but we can't let it take over all aspects of out lives.

Well ai Are around there are robots that can do things without a human interface... such as walk around a house... and not crash into walls.. but thats about what we have right now... such as the roombot or w/e the vacum thingy thats out by sharper image... but heh thats one of them...Nasa already has this stuff for the missions on mars with the rovers... be casue they time relay was too great that the robot had to be albe to think on its own so it wouldnt run into a rock or fall down a clif... so Nasa has some AI but they are very simple ones and cant talk or do chores for us and that *BLEEP*...also the irobot thing can happen but very unlikely.... because we would be programing the robots ourselves... and we cna program them not to thing of one thing our another... The 3 laws could happen and could work well but we would have to make sure "viky" cant take control... and we have a better way of stoping it...i say we solve the gas problem first and get hydrogen cars working first... then lets get AI going lol...

The huge risk with a topic like true AI is that humans will abuse it. You know that the gov't would use it for war. It's a guarantee. And chances are that it wouldn't be a robot war, but a war on humans with robots as the weapon. If you dropped 10 internal combustion style robots on an unsuspecting country, the impact would be devastating. You tell them to destroy everything in sight, and they do until they run out of gas. Then you go in, pick them up, and voila, no more little enemy. I know this sounds far fetched but it is actually very close to being a possibility now. Robots are incredibly strong and they can see humans as humans, cars as cars, and that's all they really need. Detect a threat and irradicate it. Shadow has developed a hand that would have no problem pulling a trigger, and there are others out there. There was also a British engineer who built a robot (supposedly) from the mini cooper. It was like 18 feet tall and looked like a transformer. His research pages can be found here. This has been attacked by a few people as a hoax, but there have been sightings in the area that he was supposed to be working, and the videos are pretty convincing.

I don't know.. I think that AI is a huge risk to humans simply because of the fact that we are destructive by nature.

merged with another thread of same general topic.

As far as AI goes, think of what a hacker could do to a computer system with a strong AI under his control? How easy do you think it would be to tear down the great wall shielding the DoD from hackers and run this country into the ground in a second. See a normal hacker it would take a long time to run a bunch of number even with a bunch of fancy programs and then they'd have to think of what to do next. With an AI helping them the AI can run all those number pretty much simultaneously and then tell the hack what to do to get around the next hole. AI is something I plan on researching when I become a professor but not for anything a robot or anything. I say we need to keep strict watch on anyone and everyone that uses AI.

I also think some of you are forgetting, AI is everywhere. When you play Need For Speed, there is AI controlling the traffic. When you program a television for certain ratings, there is AI determining which shows to block. I believe that almost anything that can carry out multiple functions based on the state of the input (Need For Speed example: Red lights, Other cars, Turns, Collisions) (Television example: PG, PG-13, R, M) is, in fact AI. Though, I'm sure a dictionary could prove me wrong, that's what I believe

The whole upload my brain and live for ever hell i'd do it and mothernature she is not going to do anything we already punked her. We pollute and trash up the place, cut down trees. You think we can kill this planet? It's been around alot longer time then us.

Edited by Spyk3z (see edit history)

If there was an artificially intelligent entity, it would realize that there would be no reason for it to create more of itself. Why reproduce when you would never die? A much more promising purpose would be thinking up ways to expand it's own memory, thought rate, etc. to improve upon itself, but as I said, reproduction would be pointless.Personally, I think that this world could use an AI dictator. Who else could rule the world peacefully, without any selfish motives that doom all other rulers?

Yea a world ruled by a super computer with Ai 100x smarter then the adverage man. I would live there It owuld be peacefull I think as long and we help it and show it we are not the enemey and he can help the world don't want the spot of termintor really happening.

I really don't think it will ever be possible to human-like AI. Humans have emotions that influence decisions, which computers will never have. Also the human brain would take up a lot of space if it was somehow ever put on a computer.

The whole upload my brain and live for ever hell i'd do it and mothernature she is not going to do anything we already punked her. We pollute and trash up the place, cut down trees. You think we can kill this planet? It's been around alot longer time then us.

We are already killing our planet, the only reason it was around so much longer than us is because we never existed. How could we possibly survive the ozone layer being depleted, all the heat from the sun would roast us easily. Also, no matter how many people attempt to prevent this, we have already dug our grave. I couldn't simply stop polluting and throwing out trash, it's the way I grew up. So many others couldn't either

If there was an artificially intelligent entity, it would realize that there would be no reason for it to create more of itself. Why reproduce when you would never die? A much more promising purpose would be thinking up ways to expand it's own memory, thought rate, etc. to improve upon itself, but as I said, reproduction would be pointless.

Personally, I think that this world could use an AI dictator. Who else could rule the world peacefully, without any selfish motives that doom all other rulers?

Yes, but if we could somehow emulate emotions, then why wouldn't the robots decide to take us over. Unless we make them live to support us, then they could decide what they feel they want to do with us.

Yea a world ruled by a super computer with Ai 100x smarter then the adverage man. I would live there It owuld be peacefull I think as long and we help it and show it we are not the enemey and he can help the world don't want the spot of termintor really happening.

How would you possibly want to live underneath something you created? I prefer the life I live now. I would like a robot to help around the house, but not one that can make decisions for me.

I really don't think it will ever be possible to human-like AI. Humans have emotions that influence decisions, which computers will never have. Also the human brain would take up a lot of space if it was somehow ever put on a computer.

Anything is possible, just think. We were at some point in time, first discovering fire. We had computers the size of a living room and they ran on vaccume (SP?) tubes. We have microchips now and computers 100x as powerful that run on your lap. We used to listen to records, now we con store thousands of songs in our pockets. Why couldn't we emulate emotions in the near future? Perhaps, a better question to ask is, Why would we want to give a machine that is much more powerful than us and that could think way faster than us emotions? What if we pissed it off?

Why create robots or computers with emotions? All we need is a program/computer that can think using reason and logic at a faster pace than we biological entities can. What would be the point of attempting to emulate emotions? It would only pose problems or, if nothing else, waste money. If one wants a dictator, one should use an emotionless computer that cannot be distracted by feelings that skew the facts. If one wants a friend, one can walk down the street and find one. There's no reason to attempt to create what already exists.

One word IROBOT lol, no seriously, AI infact is used in a game, but it is programmed to do it. AI scripting is indeed difficult but INDEMAND! If your job was to make scripts for poeple and code AI's, im sure you will be making alot of money lol. not no 5 dollars and hour lol.