xisto Community
DoR

General Discussion: Artificial Intelligence (AI) Projects, software, tools... etc.

Why create robots or computers with emotions? All we need is a program/computer that can think using reason and logic at a faster pace than we biological entities can. What would be the point of attempting to emulate emotions? It would only pose problems or, if nothing else, waste money. If one wants a dictator, one should use an emotionless computer that cannot be distracted by feelings that skew the facts. If one wants a friend, one can walk down the street and find one. There's no reason to attempt to create what already exists.

Yes, that was exactly what I was hinting at. Also, if this form of artificial inteligene were to exist, we should give it no physical abilities. Just in case that this would, in fact come to the conclusion that we are destroying ourselves, it couldn't harm us in any way. And yes, an emotionless form of AI is the best bet as it would decide our future based on facts and not feelings. AI with emotion would be great for the gaming industry, who wouldn't want to fight a bot that can actually get angry, scared or even surrender? It would bring a whole new revolution to the gaming world. But then, that is what makes me wonder. If we are killing something that can actually think, and feel emotion would that not mean it could feel to? Would that not mean that killing something in the game would almost relate to killing something in real life? It's such a blurry topic, as we humans are so complex. It's mind boggling to imagine to be able to create a real living entity to our world. I would never take part in this, however as I believe in god and I would like to leave life up to him.

But ruling by simple facts is actually worse than ruling with emotions when it comes to humans really. Because a human ruling with emotion can be compassionate and be very lenient even if an offender does something multiple times. But with ruling by facts alone you could have someone put to death for commiting a semi minor crime.Take the move IRobot. I know it is bad to use a movie as a reference since all movies revolving around this subject are entirly fiction, but the idea remains in my mind when you said to rule by facts. The robots in that movie were kiling off humans because they were programmed to protect humans at all costs. They could think feel, everything but they were governed by factual data not really emotions. Then ending realization was that the central AI for all the robots was actually trying to protect the humans by killing them all off. This sounds contradictory but think about what do to our bodies by smoking, drug use, food, all the things bad we do, and especially to the environment. We humans kill ourselves and the robots were trying to protect from ourselves. That is the problem of ruling by facts with a computer because computers can only do what we tell them to do. And if we say rule by strict facts then that is what they do regardless of circumstances. You would need emotion to be any kind of lenient and AI with emotion is bad news.

Gondero, don't use a cheesy science fiction movie like iRobot as a refence for ideas. In theory, maybe, but in practice, no. The world just doesn't work like that.And Wolves, a computer wouldn't have to have real emotions to give characters in a game emotion. It would simulate the emotion (by reacting to the character's actions in certain ways that we would percieve as emotion), but real emotion would be unnecessary (not to mention possibly impossible).

Project

General Discussion: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Hi I am very new to Artificial Intelligence. I want to learn something different and I choose this field. But it confused me a lot. Now they are telling me to do a project on my own for completing my masters. I got no idea what to do. Is someone there to help me or give me suggestion. I need to finish my masters anyway so there is no going back.

Cheers

Preethi

-reply by Preethi

--- admin reply ---

If you chosen it to be different, don't be afraid to learn it. You will grasp the concepts soon and you can deploy your projects yourself :)

Don't give up. Keep Trying.