xisto Community
mizako

Computer Does Not Start Three beeps and turn of

Hi,A friend of me call me telling me that his computer is *BLEEP*ed up. His computer turns off before anything comes into the screens. Three beeps sound before it turns off. He asked me for advice but i did not know what to tell him. I guess could be the Bios but i do not have a big background experience with this computer problems. He told me he was cracking a program or something like that. So, maybe a virus *BLEEP*ed him. If anyone know what is the problem and what it is the solution would be really nice.thanks in advanced!

This has happened to me before and this is what I did. Probably, the computer does not have an in-built VGA card. So try opening up the case and make sure that the VGA card is properly fixed in its slot. When the VGA (graphics) card is not properly in place, it gives out three long beeps and shuts down the computer. While you're at it, also check if the RAM is properly fixed in its slot. Try removing the VGA and RAM and fixing them back in place. This should solve the problem. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

I'm with Furor on this one. It happened to me more than once, while I had a PCI graphics card, to find it just slightly out of position. Of course, there is always a possibility that something else is screwed up. As Furor said, RAM caould also cause trouble. If there is only one memory module, and it breaks up, you also get beeps, although, I noticed a different types of beeps, on different MB's.But, my best guess is, that it's graphics card. Remove it, check the contacts, clean them, blow out any dust from the AGP slot (dust tends to crawl up in there :rolleyes:), and place it back, firmly screwing it in. If the graphics card is firmly in, and you still get three long beeps, it could mean that it's about to die (graphics card I mean). If you do not hear three LONG beeps, than check RAM modules.Also you mentioned the computer turns off... I never had my computer turn off, it would just sound three long beeps, and stay turned on, but not booting up... That kind of confuses me... Maybe it's RAM module(s)... Also, good idea to check if those things work, is to take them out, and try them on you machine. That would kind of give you some clue what to do next...Guess that's all the help we could give you... Inform us of your progress...

Also you mentioned the computer turns off... I never had my computer turn off, it would just sound three long beeps, and stay turned on, but not booting up... That kind of confuses me... Maybe it's RAM module(s)... Also, good idea to check if those things work, is to take them out, and try them on you machine. That would kind of give you some clue what to do next...

146134[/snapback]

Hi,

I just spoke with my friend on the telephone. I kind of missunderstood him before. You were right Galahad his computer does not turn off just stays turned on but not booting up. I told him to unplug the RAM modules and the graphic card and clean the dust on the slots. He will try this evening and we will let me know how it is going.

Thanks a lot for such a quickly answers!

Does he get a Windows environment at all, or any type of error message. I would do as the others suggest, and make sure that your HDD (Hard Drive) isn't janked up. Make sure all cables, RAM, PCI cards, and etc... are firmly in there place. Another thing to do is you can also remove the Mother boards battery to reset the CMOS. I don't think you would need to do that. However, when all else fails, try what you can. That is the bueaty of the Computer world.

the error beeps (or POST/power-on-self-test) can help diagnose the problem:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223
http://ww17.hi-tech.net/zones/help-beep.html
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

hopefully, after erring hardware is identified, you can finally resolve the problem. :rolleyes:

Hi ,There's some good advice in the previous posts.If you'r still having startup problems you can check out my website for a step by step guide. Also ther'es an indepth listing & explaination of ALL the beep codes & Error codes.Hope this helps,RGPHNX

At the end it seems that my friend's graphic card is broken. I borrowed him mine old one and now it works. Can a graphic card be broken by a Virus?

At the end it seems that my friend's graphic card is broken. I borrowed him mine old one and now it works. Can a graphic card be broken by a Virus?

146957[/snapback]

Well, if it can, I never heard of it... I seriousely doubt your friends graphics card breaking down, has anything with any sort of virus. I would put money on some sort of power surge, maybe factory defect, or his graphics card is just plain old :rolleyes:

Though, I think those old components were built to last, while these new hi-tech gizmos are built to last you a year or two, and then force you to buy new version of that hardware...

Anyways, to cut my philosophy short, chances that virus messed up your friends graphics card, is about 0.001 percent :lol:

Well, if it can, I never heard of it... I seriousely doubt your friends graphics card breaking down, has anything with any sort of virus. I would put money on some sort of power surge, maybe factory defect, or his graphics card is just plain old :D

Though, I think those old components were built to last, while these new hi-tech gizmos are built to last you a year or two, and then force you to buy new version of that hardware...

Anyways, to cut my philosophy short, chances that virus messed up your friends graphics card, is about 0.001 percent :P

147301[/snapback]

The funny thing is that the graphic card has less than a year. It is still on guaranty!!! He already brought it to the shop. ;-)

dell laptop

Computer Does Not Start

I have an inspirion and when I go to turn it on it beeps 3 times and shuts off. Not long beeps though.

it is EXTREMELY unlikely that a virus would do that.
infact, almost inpossible.
so i would rule out viruses.

Three long beeps = video card

Computer Does Not Start

Replying to mizakoThank you for the post about the video card. That is exactly what my Gateway was doing. I would turn it on and hear three long beeps and then the monitor would never come on. It did this frequently but every once in awhile the monitor came on. I took the panel off, reset the video card and that fixed it immediately.

-reply by Roger Cobb

4 beeps then 3 beeps... screen stays black

Computer Does Not Start

When I turn on my laptop it beeps 4 short then 3 short beeps. The screen stays black, LED lights are on. Nothing happens. Whats up? Anybody know? Thank You... Debbie

-question by Debbie

When I turn on my laptop it beeps 4 short then 3 short beeps. The screen stays black, LED lights are on. Nothing happens. Whats up? Anybody know? Thank You... Debbie

That could be one of three things:

Memory problems - check the RAM is seated correctly, and not damaged. It may need replacing.

Repalcement motherboard may be required.

Video card damaged or not seated correctly.

Not knowing what PC you have, what motherboard it uses and which BIOS it uses, I can't say which, if any, of the possible faults above could be the one.