xisto Community
mizako

Computer Does Not Start Three beeps and turn of

4 beeps then 3 beeps... screen stays black

Computer Does Not Start

When I turn on my laptop it beeps 4 short then 3 short beeps. The screen stays black, LED lights are on. Nothing happens. Whats up? Anybody know? Thank You... Debbie

-question by Debbie

I agree with rvalkass . It could be any of the three or may be two of three. btw You didn't specify which BIOS is there on your motherboard. or Atleast a Laptop model.

Thanks

Please, if It's possible, take a picture with a camera or something similar. This way, we can check the problem aswell as think about/of it, and we can give more support to what's causing this. :)

My guess, is that one specific BIOS setting was messed with, causing a black out to your computer.

Try turning off your computer, wait for 5 minutes at the most for the electricity to drain out of your computer, and take off your computers cover.

Please NOTE: Try not to have alot of static shocks in your fingers, even though we may not know it, your little chips in your computer can fry within seconds. No smell, no feel, and is also invisible to our eyes.

Take off your cover by un-screwing the cover, and find a very small circle shaped button. This is located on your BIOS chip.

Pressing this button will reset all of your BIOS settings to the default settings on your computer.

Your BIOS chip may look something like this:

Posted Image

See the little button at the top right? You need to press that button in order to reset your BIOS to the default settings.

I know this because this happened to me aswell. :)

Even if this is not the case of what's wrong, It is still helpful for future support. If this is not the same problem I had, then use this if it ever does happen.

-Sky

I have a dell inspiron 1420 laptop too... is that going to happen to me? hope not!Yes if computer when turn on is beeps and dont load the operating system, it must have problem with memory or video card. To test the memory, try changing slot, change the memory, to determine whether the slot is damage or your memory.

I have a dell inspiron 1420 laptop too... is that going to happen to me? hope not!
Yes if computer when turn on is beeps and dont load the operating system, it must have problem with memory or video card. To test the memory, try changing slot, change the memory, to determine whether the slot is damage or your memory.

having problem with a single Inspiron 1420 doesn't mean all the inspirons have this defect.. I've seen atleast two 1420 for around 6 months now and they are running properly without any problem.. Manufacturing defects are there with every product but that doesn't mean ppl stop buying that product .. Even Nokia has more than 30% failure rate but ppl still buy nokia phones :lol:

No idea if it's of any help, but my computer did that after there was a power outage... I guess there was a surge of power that went through the lines and into my computer (even though its in a plug with surge protection... stupid machines!) anyway, after the power came back on, my computer wouldn't start up and it just beeped and turned off.So I took it to the repair shop, and it was the some power box or something inside of it was blown, so they replaced it with a new one and everything worked out fine since then :lol: I was so worried that I'd need to spend a lot, but luckily it was only like $80 to replace whatever it was that broke. Much cheaper than a new computer lol...

Ah, this happens mostly in computers that havent been used for a while.

Open it up, and take the PCIs out, clean them off carefully, to get the dist off, then put them back in, dust being caught up can stop it working.

Check all connections, then try to boot it up. if it doesnt work, it could be a motherboard fault.

Yay! my 200th post

Edited by minimcmonkey (see edit history)