xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

have you found out what is causing this?Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I am right now exhibiting the EXACT same issues as you.  shut downs in games, while CPU is under load but great steady working otherwise.  And now, out of the blue, trouble starting up.  Starts and dies a few times like a car until finally turning over and running fine... Unless I play a game.  I am perplexed as to find the problem.  It seems everyone has a different solution.  Right now I am leaning towards a bad outlet thats screwing with the CPU as the only plausible explanation... But it sucks that no one really can say what the problem is.  are there places where you can take actual parts and guys will trace your problems through the circuits?

-question by rickey

Here is the situation, about 2 weeks ago one of my computers stopped in the middle of a game and shut down. That was it. I restarted the computer and it powered up and went into the normal startup sequence, it did hit the BIOS screen, then powered down unexpectedly. After that it could be turned on, but then immediately shut down, staying on no longer than about 4 seconds.-reply by Amit Kumar

same problem... pc restarts or stayson for about 2 seconds..Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

it starts up ...Boots, comes to the boot from cd page and then hangs... The monitor goes off and says no signal input or power saving.

sometimes it beeps once or twice. Sometimes it starts up completely to  my email and then goes off all over again. I recently installed some s/w devices I wonder if that is it. I even cleaned up the fans.And ... Sometimes starts ... Sounds like it does and doesnt start up till I bang on the reset adn shut down buttons.Sometimes it says theres a BIOS problem and shoud contact a network admin.Sometimes it says ... {after I reset the do not restart without error message on My Computer} ... That this is a BIOS problem or I have some driver problem with some new hardware or software component I added! how do I find out wht it ist?????

HELP!

-reply by charru

Just wanted to say thank you very muchPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

We just had the same problem today. We first thought it's the graphic card, we removed it and tried the built in one, but it kept restarting after few seconds. Then we thought it's a problem with the HDD so we replaced it with an old one but still the same restarting after few seconds. After many tries that took half a day and suspecting everything including the power supply we finally gave up and my boyfriend got really depressed. We were broke and it was the weekend so even if we had money it was hard to take it to fix it somewhere. Then I thought I would do some online search, while my boyfriend started watching TV and told me not to bother anymore. I searched Google and opened like 10 tabs to read them, and one of the first posts I read was this answer: "I had the same problem. My PC would shutdown in a few seconds. TheProblem was with my heatsink. When I pressed it hard enough on the moboIt started working fine again!" Actually this was exactly our problem as the heatsink had 2 broken things out of 4 of those things that attach it to the mother board. We pressed it like you said and it actually worked! So I guess it was a heating problem because the thing wasn't attached properly.

I don't know if the person who wrote this would read my message, but THANK YOU SO MUCH, and thanks to everyone else who take the time to share their solutions online for others to see. It really helped us and saved us bad moods and trouble and money, and I'm sure it helped or would help many others.

Thanks again and take care.

-reply by Roula

I was having the same problem after I did a cleaning of my system. I was about ready to take it in but what I did to get it too boot was...1. Turn off and unplug the PSU, give it like 5 minutes and try to discharge the cmos battery.2. I removed my 3 sticks of ram and left it out for a few minutes.3. I noticed one of the clips came off on my heatsink, so I pushed it back in securely.I put everything back together and it booted up again for me.-reply by Jeff Gardner

We experienced the same situation recentlyPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

We recently had the same problem, the PC shut down and then would shut down after starting up. We checked the hard drive and then replaced the power supply. After reading the post from Roula I inspected the CPU heat sink and cooling fan, I could move it and found it was not attached at two of the attachment posts.

I removed the CPU heat sink and cooling fan and found that tow of the post attachments were broken. I removed the CPU heat sink from another PC, installed it on the first PC, powered up and it worked.

The heat sink and cooling fan must be firmly attached to the CPU or the PC shuts down. I think that this is a safety mechanism to protect the CPU from being destroyed.

Jim

-reply by quality man

A solutionPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I had swapped a motherboard.  The new one would boott just fine but then the PC would shut down after say 10 seconds.  When I removed the CPU cooler then more carefully than ever secured it the problem corrected.  Apparently a CPU cooler not well secured will cause PC to shut down abruptly.

-reply by manfried

x2 on CPU coolers not being properly installed.It's a fail safe that I'm sure every motherboard has now. Although there may be other reasons for this to occur, this is the most likely case since the motherboard will employ the fail safe with the absence of an installed CPU cooler to prevent damage to the CPU. Read that manual, make sure everything "clicks" in place, and try again. Of course, this applies to CPU upgrades or new builds.There could be other problems that may require more troubleshooting. The PSU isn't always to blame. Sometimes, motherboards emit beeps from the system speaker that could clue you in to an error code. Consult your motherboard's manual, or get ahold of another PC to search online for solutions (obviously).If the computer is shutting itself off after a few seconds on boot or if it randomly shuts itself off abruptly (especially if it's a laptop), the problem is heat. Something is not keeping your computer cool for normal operation.For a desktop, you might want to make sure that ventilation isn't being blocked, restricted, or inadequate for normal operation. Add more fans, heat sinks (coolers), or consider a liquid cooling system. Remember that GPUs run pretty hot nowadays and that a GPU cooler can be beneficial. Of course, make sure that all this stuff will actually fit within your case.For a laptop, make sure that your vents aren't being blocked and that the fans are operating normally. Clean out any dust that may be impeding the flow of hot air outward. One of the larger culprits of keeping heat in your system is the horrible design of having vents on the bottom of the laptop. (Usually, people put their laptops on desks, beds, pillows, or what-have-you, rendering the fans and vents on the bottom of the laptop useless.) If you're going to locate your laptop on a desk or surface of some kind, elevate it. Do the simple solution and use card boxes or something stable to stand the laptop, making sure not to block the fans and vents in the process. You can get a laptop cooler (USB-powered or static), but they are mostly overrated and usually add to the problem. There are only a few of them that actually work as advertised... do your research if you decide to go with this route.

dont overlook the simple stuffPc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

I Had this problem today

took me most to the morning as I was bypassing a simple thing

the power leds were in the power s/w prong(I did not set up the system btw)

creating a closed circuit which activated the fast shut down function

-reply by miguel jose

I also encountered that problem...One of the computers in a computer shop near in my house asked me to fixed the problem with ther computer I just search the net...And found out some easy solutions...I've tried to swap some of the components of the mother board to a well functioning computer and found out that the memory is only the problem...Its the RAM...

I hope this simple message cud help a lot..Gudluck mamen! 

-reply by jhaym

I had the same problem. After spending a few days figuring thing out.

Here is the problem :

- Your CPU does not contact well with the Heat Sink.

Solution:

- Go get the heat transfer glue and put it between your CPU and heat sink.

- You can temporarily use cooking oil to get it working.

Pc shuts down and after 3 seconds, its back on again.Pc Shuts Down After A Few Seconds

Hello.

I have a very similar problem as well. But this only happens when I switch off the plugs otherwise, its runs excellent. When I switch of my pc and turn it on again, its starts perfectly fine.

This only happens when I switch of the plugs, my pc fails to start for 3 seconds and its back on again. 

Whats your opinion?

-reply by Umar Kaleem

I have the same problem with my PC. My PC will start normally and after 1 hour it shuts down and it will turn on and off for several times and then totally shuts down. I changed the PSU, MEMORY and the HD but still same problem occures. I already adden a fan and opened the side panel for more ventilationbut nothings changed. I'm using Pentium Core2duo, with 1gb pc667 RAM and no videocard.

-reply by jhoroz