xisto Community
ladyspanky

Q: Keep You Computer On Or Off When Not Needed? A: NO read this. i read it from readers digest.

Q: is it okay to keep your computer on all day, or should you switch it off when not in use?A: A standard desktop computer and monitor burn about the same electricity as a 100-watt light bulb. It might not sound much, but over a year that's about one tonne of carbon dioxide. Back in 1980's we were told not to keep turning our computers on and off because it put stress on the hard drive. All big computer manufacturers now recommend that you turn off your machine when you're not using it. Tofay some manufacturers test-run their hard drives to cope with 40,000 on on/off cycles -- that's equivalent to switching your machine on and off for five years. And if you're doing that in the office, you should really be rethinking your work practices.

I know I should turn my comp off when I'm going out for an hour or the afternoon but sometimes I'm just too lazy to do so (but I turn off the screens).by the way, did you know that several studies estimate that the USA's energy consumption could be decreased by 50% and the energy consumption in the "western" world by about 40% if people would just turn off their computer screens while they're not using them and shut down the comp over night or when they're not using them for a couple of hours?

I have had my PC on for about 5 years now.. I never turn it off (unless I have to, like moving, or upgrading), but I do reboot alot.. Either way I have never had a problem with any of my hardware.. Actually, one of my old professors told me that turning a computer off/on all the time creates stress on the circuitry which could lead to hardware problems.. I am not sure how true that is, but I still don't have any problems!!Although, I do believe in Energy Conservation, so maybe I should pickup on a new habit -_-

I turn my computer off whenever I leave it for 30 minutes, which is quite a short time for some peoples standards. If they can cope with 40,000 on/off cycles then why not just go Start --> Turn Off Computer --> Turn Off. If your not lazy enough to type that message then surely you can click your mouse three times -_-

system wisdom.... never turning your computer off didn't mean that you'll have a problem coming soon. but what i'm trying to say is that turning your computer off and wouldn't give you a problem either. and it'll actually help you in some ways to.. like saving up electricity. anyways.. thanks for posting up your reaction! -_-

In addition to saving electricity, turning the computer off gives it a break. The computers at my school are pretty much on 24/7 and they're some of the slowest I've ever used (relatively new, too). Mine is off when I don't use it and it does pretty well for it's hardware.

I recently started NOT turning my computer off for about 15 hours. (OK, my dad will flip) I started this downloading program of mine, and I always want it to keep downloading when I'm asleep. Unfortunately, my dad uses this to his advantage, and surfs the net while I'm leaving it on. When I wake up, the downloads were paused. *growls*

if you have to restart your computer cuz it get slow that means that your computer is older then you or you just have to much stuff running at the same time. sometimes i leave on fora few hours with the screen off or i sut it down completly, i have to do that with my laptop due to the fact the battery gets super hot afer a few hours of being on and doing stuff on it.

Mine is left on constantly, and I don't have too many problems with it. But once the system's memory gets too low I have to restart. I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to knowing whether leaving it on or turning it off is the right decision, but my computer runs the same as it did when I turned it on for the first time.

I switch off my computer when I am going to leave it for more than a 7/8 hours at office.. coz... its irritating when it takes long time to boot.. but I make sure I switch off the monitor(thats what consumes the maximum power)... and I switch the system off at weekends..btw m$ft makes sure that their OS forces you to reboot ur system occassionally(though frequency reduced these days... no more BSOD: blue screen of death)... c they are taking care of ur system and u just thought otherwise.. -_-Cheers.

I would have left my laptop on 24/7 had it not been so bad that it turns off and deletes the Windows folder if left on for more than 4 hours. I seemed to forgot once, had to format the computer, then it took 3 hours to format, used and hour to fix a bit of things. THEN, the computer shuts down with a blue screen, and I had to format again :( Oh how I hate this PC. I'm getting a new one soon though, Alienware for 3000$ or maybe more.

Yup, I see that people who have a laptop have trouble with turning the comp all the time. My laptop hibernates itsefl after a certain time so I dun need to worry if the battery gets hot :(

I have had my PC on for about 5 years now..  I never turn it off (unless I have to, like moving, or upgrading), but I do reboot alot..  Either way I have never had a problem with any of my hardware..  Actually, one of my old professors told me that turning a computer off/on all the time creates stress on the circuitry which could lead to hardware problems..  I am not sure how true that is, but I still don't have any problems!!

Although, I do believe in Energy Conservation, so maybe I should pickup on a new habit :(

137664[/snapback]

omg ... is that true? 5 years of not stop running ? What a pityful computer ... imagine a human doing anything non-stop for 3 days .. I know it's a computer .. but dont you think that they should take a "rest" too ? :(

I do shut down my computer whenever i dont use them unless im downloading something. Comeon , Let him rest ! :(

well, about our computer, we really would like to keep it off as much as possible to save electricity and also tothe fact that this computer never goes off. it's because all my brother's and sister's using it turn by turn and it seems like it has never been off even for just a while.