xisto Community
ladyspanky

Negative Calorie Foods its for everyone who wants to be slim and fit.

Ive heard that celery had the "negative calorie" effect, but I had no idea that so many others did! Thank yo uvery much for this list, it will definately come in handy. I love my apples, watermelon, orange, pineapple, carrot... You get the picture.Thanks again!

I don't know how valid any of this negative calorie stuff is. Of course it takes calories to digest food, but in terms of using this to your advantage to aid weight loss, I don't think it makes much difference. They say that several small meals throughout the day keeps up your metabolism which helps you burn more calories and stay slim, but really I think the reason this technique works for many is that it prevents you from getting so hungry that you binge on unhealthy food.Just use common sense...the foods on this list are fruits and vegetables which are good, healthy foods. If your diet is high in these items, you are less likely to get hungry enough to eat lots of junk. And once you get used to the healthy, "clean" feeling you get when eating right, you won't want to feel sick and gummed up from eating processed junk.

I always knew it was a good to eat fruits and vegetables! I don't think you should just eat these to try to diet. These are only a couple categories of the food pyramid. I see it as just meaning that its ok to pig out on this stuff. But just like anything else, you need a balance.

If you try to pig out on fruits and vegetables though, you probably won't get much more than 200 calories or so without feeling really full. Compare that to how many potato chips you could eat!

One thing I would like to add here is that these negative calorie foods are most effective when eaten in solid form. Say, for example, if you drink a glass of carrot and beet juice, it would not have as much effect as eating the solid counterpart.This is because the 'negative calorie' effect.......i.e. the calorie burn that happens due to digesting these foods happens from masticating them. You should remember to eat them slowly and thoroughly masticate them.

I always knew it was a good to eat fruits and vegetables! I don't think you should just eat these to try to diet. These are only a couple categories of the food pyramid. I see it as just meaning that its ok to pig out on this stuff. But just like anything else, you need a balance.

The food pyramid with carbohydrates at the "bottom widest" is ALL WRONG.

Vegetables (and fruits) should come first before carbohydrates.

Consumption of fruits should be moderate too because of its sugar content).

A diet with excessive carbohydrates (rice without its brown husks, white bread, etc)

= the body produces insulin. I

Insulin = food cravings = we eat more than needed = obesity...

we eat more carbohydrates = a dangerous eating cycle.

And it isn't really about how many calories you have.

If you follow the food pyramid and eat according to the calories, the only result you get is "diseases in old age".

Source: An article from CHICAGO TRIBUNE:

For starters, the only reference to corn on the USDA's new food pyramid is a graphic of a bright-yellow ear of corn amid a sea of other vegetables; soybeans are not mentioned at all. Yet U.S. farmers receive $15 billion in subsidies to grow corn and soybeans that are largely used to feed livestock (with harmful chemicals and antibiotics often added).

What's worse, corn and soybeans are used to make artificial sweeteners and partially hydrogenated oils -- the very ingredients the food pyramid urges Americans to avoid.

Comparatively so, fruit and vegetable farmers receive no subsidies whatsoever, though whole foods are supposed to make up the largest part of Americans' diets, per the pyramid's recommendations.

Discrepancies Noted

According to a former U.S. Congressman, farm policy has clearly been developed with little regard for the diets and health of Americans and instead is the result of a Depression-era program that was supposed to give temporary relief for low commodity prices. He further explained that those who attend hearings on domestic farm policies are largely lobbyists who protect the interests of a handful of crops, including:

* Corn

* Soybeans

* Cotton

* Rice

* Wheat

* Sugar

A nutrition professor at New York University said the USDA has fought with conflict of interest since its mission was expanded beyond farming to dietary advice and food assistance to the poor.

The result?

Lobbying from the food industry has historically influenced the agency's nutrition advice -- the composition of the new pyramid included.

Moreover, the alleged conflict between the agency's role in promoting both nutrition and agriculture even prompted former Sen. Peter Fitzgerald to compare the USDA, when it comes to farm subsidies, to a fox guarding the henhouse. He introduced legislation to move the nutrition program to the Department of Health and Human Services, but his legislation fizzled.

Farm subsidies are not the only USDA program that seems to contradict the advice of the food pyramid: The department also sponsors a variety of marketing initiatives that encourage consumers to eat more of everything.

You may be wondering why there is such a gigantic discrepancy between what corn and soybean farmers are being paid, compared to fruit and vegetable farmers.

The reason, as usual, is money.

The USDA doesn't give $15 billion to just anyone. In this case, they are guaranteeing themselves continued support from the mega food corporations, who make billions themselves from the sale of numerous products made with the ingredients supplied by corn and soy.

By itself, corn is used in an untold amount of products. Everything from conventional cattle feed to high-fructose corn syrup to even some forms of vitamin C are made from corn.

Of course, products made with soy constituents are equally plentiful. Many experts tout soy as a health food, despite the evidence that it is not. Most soy is grown for its uses in livestock feed and in the hydrogenated fats used in making processed foods.

It's unfortunate that the government doesn't place the same emphasis on your health as it does on capitulating to corporate conflict of interest. The above study only serves as more confirmation that there is still a long battle ahead to turn the health of America's citizens into one of its highest priorities.

Related Articles for you to Google:

US "Food Pyramid" Invalid as It was Made by Experts with Conflicts of Interest

Was the New Food Pyramid Worth the Wait?

New Conflicts Revealed in USDA Dairy Promotion

Are you getting updated information about the correct way to eat?

Notice from Kubi:
Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ warning issued.
Edited by Kubi (see edit history)

Interesting theory. There's fine print to that, but hey...a housewife can also be called a homemaker, right? :) With all due respect, activities + eating right can lead to a better lifestyle.The way i see it, anyone should make losing weight fun.(Remember the days in elementary school when we would have recess in sometimes, hot weather?)Thats how it should be. Not running on a treadmill at your local gym for half an hour.

This is quite interesting indeed. I did know drinking cold water helped burn calories to warm it up to your body temperature, but this is even more interesting. Thanks for the information, I will defiantly be eating more of some of those fruits and vegetables in the future.

SWEETNESS! This is great to me seriousness. And not to metion you could just follow this bit of info to do your own diets this is wonderful!/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley4.Gif 

-reply by Mariah

Hello all,

I may have missed this and one of you may have mentioned this but they must be raw to be classed as negative calorie foods.

An example with carrots, they are crunchy so chewing burns off calories the building blocks that make up a carrot need to be broken down to release the vitamins inside. When you cook them they go soft, therefore, no chewing and the heat breaks down all of the walls of the building blocks that make a carrot and thus your digestive system doesn't have to do that bit of the work.

This applies to all of the above as far as I can see.

Also note that for a regular sized icecube it burns off 15 calories for your body to heat it up to the right temp. There are around 50 calroies in a single vodka and diet coke so **** on about 3 and a half ice cubes that come with it and you're overall you have burnt off the sugar.

I don't believe in fady diets and I believe in non-restriction and training your mind and body to stop lying to itself. A diet that says you can eat this one day and this the next and this and that is crazy and you're kidding yourself. You can eat anything you like as long as your energy intake equals or is less than what you burn off. You can eat chocolate and any foods you like as long as you stick to this concept and then that's where your brain has to come into it - eating only bad food but sticking to this means you wont put on weight but you're going to get ill and that will proabably make you feel worse than being a few pounds heavier! So be clever use your body to work with you and have that vodka, diet coke and 4 icecubes and that chocolate etc. Just don't try kidding yourself if you are trying to loose weight and be healthy if you live an unhealthy lifestyle.

Oh also another tip - we are always talking on the phone for ages - if every time you are on a phone call you walk around the house etc. Or go up and down stairs (slowly so you don't sound too out of breath) while you're chatting you'll be surprised how long your exercising for overall in the week!

Take care, be happy and healthy and remember it's your life so no excuses!

Victoria

people if this was the case then if you only ate fruit and veg ie. vegan. Then you would starve to death as your body would  consume more energy than you could ever give it. Since all those vegans out there arent starving to death I'm inclined not to believe this! although I do agree eating these things would be good for you and help you loose weight. It is the negative calorie thing I dissagree with.

well the reason your skinny is because your genetics kept you skinny, if your past 18 then chances are you will always be skinny, however that does not mean your healthy. The only real reason anyone should eat this stuff is not for calories it is because they are good for you, this is why diets never work for long. People go on a diet then when they get their goal weight they stop dieting and gain all the wieght back, you need to eat healthy, not low calorie. And you need to keep eating healthy your entire life, you can eat junk food but not as a staple of your meals, you should have healthy meals most of the time in the house and ocassionally have pizza or something like on the weekend or whatever. I have been doing this for some time now and I feel so much energy, I love sports now whereas I wouldn't be able to run for long now I play backyard football with my friends, most of the time the games last over 4 hours (thats a ton of sprinting), sure we only have about 60 yards to play in but it is quite the run reguardless. 

-reply by Joshua

Concerning VegansNegative Calorie Foods

They (vegans) are eating other foods like nuts and beans which provide the body with "healthy fats." They are not just eating fruits and vegetables. Additionally, as far as I understand, not all fruits and vegetables have a negative calorie result, just some. 

-reply by Julia

Is that such a good idea?Negative Calorie Foods

Eating healthy is not all about eating the right amount of calories to stay thin. What you eat IS important. For example, just one can of soda significantly impairs your bodies immune system. The carbonation has been linked to causing weak bones (especially in woman). And the alternative ingredients in diet sodas can cause cancer! When you're choosing foods, don't only think about what will keep you thin; think about what will benefit your body now and in the future.  

Here's a link about soda; try googling for more information: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by Julia