xisto Community
soulsanctuary

How To Remove Ie Completely

I would imagine the task of complete Internet Explorer removal being very tough and not recommended at all. I'm pretty certain that Windows would really struggle to function without it as many facets of windows rely heavily on it. When you click on help, my computer or anything really it is in an Internet explorer interface. I'm not sure whether or not it does actually use internet explorer when in my computer and other things but it sure feels like internet explorer. You should pop the question to microsoft- see what they have to say about it -_-

Yes Internet explorer is pain in the *bottom* if you remove it completly from your system. Lot of programs that connect to Internet uses Explorers .dlls, so if you remove it you won't be able to use MSn Messenger, lot of Antivirus programms, Upadte features of XP, numbers of programs. Actually I was able to remove it only form WIndows 98, never have tried to remove it ffrom windows Xp.But Firefox is only good solution for web browsing, and Internet Explorer for Updating and some other stuff.

WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE REPLYING WITH THE SAME RESPONSE??

How To Remove Ie Completely

YES, it is RECOMENDED NOT to remove IE, BUT, if like me you are having beta issuses and are unable to reinstall IE7 because it detects "newer versions of IE" THEN HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GET THE CRAP OFF YOUR SYSTEM TO RETURN TO NORMAL??

PEOPLE, PLEASE do not try IE8 Beta, it is rubbish!

BTW, if several people have already said what you are about to write, don't write it, your just adding pointless posts that take up valuable space and time!

-reply by MCSA boy

Not TrueHow To Remove Ie Completely

If you are running Windows 2000 SP 2 or bellow with none of the other Microsoft updates then web browsers other than IE may be having issues. It is not an IE issue it is a Windows issue and you should think about running Microsoft updates.

-reply by dboz555

Ok, obviously you guys know nothing about system files.How To Remove Ie Completely

You can easily erase the files in the internet explorer folder in the programs folder in your designated system location (commonly the C: drive), if you think that other processes rely on the IE then you are DEAD wrong, unless you have comprised to use that browser in the first place. When installing a new browser, Crazy browser, Firefox, Safari, etc. It automatically overwrites priority over the previous browser if you let it do so.Yes you may think and say this and that but in the end you need to grow up, once the previous browser has been overwritten it then relies on the newer browser for access to the internet (if you have a firewall that will tell you whats going where). For the final answer to all your questions yes, you can COMPLETELY delete Internet Explorer (any version) just by typing commands in the cmd.Exe that will giving authority over the file and then delete it, or as if you users say the safest way is to "disable" IE just by going through the uninstall and untick the boxes until it says 0k.

Sorry for being rude but I was sick and tired of people winging what can be accomplished if they researched a little bit, sorry for those who have been offended.

And yes I just made a random name and email address so I can reply to you.

-reply by Beep

I have Windows 7 and have removed IE8 from my computer by deleting the Internet Explorer file in programs on c drive,or hard drive. I did this with the help of a tool called unlocker.If you delete the IE8 file you remove the program. Now IE8 is permanently off of my computer, but it has not effected it in the least. And there is nothing about Internet Explorer that I miss.So yes you can do it this way. Andrea.

Edited by andreaborman (see edit history)

Deleting IE from the command prompt is different from removing it. Yes the file was no longer existing but the registry files, the windows update hookup link, Explorer (used to be the base software for IE) still have IE hook ups. Deleting it from command prompt messes your system when you trigger one of the hook ups. All windows help files loads up IE, you may be surprised that they are being rendered by IE and not a specific Microsoft help file viewer.*************About overwriting browsers, when you install a new browsers, nothing gets overwritten unless you installed the same browser before. Some browsers like Firefox can fix this over writing error at least on version 3.x. Opera on its latest development cycles can automatically remove the old version and install the new one. Some other browsers are adopting the automated removal of old version for their browsers. The reason why this was being a trend because there are thousand of "dumb" (sorry for that word) users that believe that overwriting files will fix everything like magic.*************IE can't be uninstalled but it can be disabled, some windows 7 users was able to remove IE but not 100% completely. Traces are still in their however IE files are way to minimal and the hookup chain was fixed. I have no idea if this will affect help files (windows format), I can't uninstall my IE on my windows 7 so I can't verify the help file part.*************On windows update, you don't need IE to do a windows update1. you can use automatic update which uses a hook up system that don't use IE2. you can use Firefox or Chrome to download updates provided that you have installed the active X for Firefox/Chrome from windows update center3. you can install IE rendering plugin, IE may not be present but 80% of the time, the render library is still present thanks to Microsofts "inter operatibility" which presents more problem than fix.

I don't think there's any need to remove it. Just don't use it. Microsoft has integrated IE into Windows in such a way that it makes removing IE difficult if not impossible.

I don't think there's any need to remove it.

There are times when exploits targets IE. Even if you are not using IE to browse the internet as long as a virus, malware and trojan made is way into your computer, they can use this IE exploits. Sometime ago I saw one of the exploits where windows automatic update was tricked that it was downloading from a valid Microsoft patch server. The questionable file then installs a root kit software that uses an IE bug giving every website that have a visual basic script code and active-X to run as system user.

System user is 1 level higher than your PC admin account.

I have set my default browser to firefox from the system configuration. I mean the one from add-remove programs place. There is no random loading from IE so far and firefox working fine without interruption from IE. Yes you are right that some worms target IE and that is the reason browser requires update.

im not quite sure how but if you google it im sure you can find something on how to do it.

Yes there is a way but windows doesn't like it and will not operate properly, you can usually uninstall all of the upgrades and go back to your previous version though if you like.