xisto Community
choetry

Warning: Virus Spreading Through Msn Messenger any info?

I was online, and then a friend sent me that file, and I accepted it because he's been wanting to send me a program that improves the resolution of the screen. But then my email address was in the file name, so I asked him what that was.To my horror, he said 'virus', but it was too late, I already opened it and then several chat screens popped-up, and it was auto-sent to some of the friends on the contact list. Luckily i was quick enough to ask them not to click on it. And my norton internet security and microsoft anti spyware program detected it and asked what I wanted to do with it. And I blocked it of course.Then I updated my norton internet security and had to restart my computer. Upon restarting, the anti spyware gave a notice that the registry msm???.exe was blocked from loading, and I thought that thing was still in my computer.Because i forgot what the name of the file was, so i couldn't check on the internet for info. Does anyone know anything about it?Also don't accept any files that has your email address in the filename. It was auto-sent by your friends who got infected.

I am not honestly sure what to suggest. I only know the basics, which is basically the fact that you should be very wary of accepting files or clicking on links that are sent to you by your contacts, especially if they have your e-mail address in the file name. All i can suggest is that you try and detect it by running through Norton Antivirus, and then deleting it through that. I am not sure if you have already tried this or not, but it is all i can think of.

My friend did this just half hour ago, i clicked it thinking it was like allofmp3.com but i was wrong, i didn't open anytning though. It was just some weird link with my email in it. Plus i use gaim instead of msn. Jezus i hate tehse things, luckily ive never fallen for something like this before.

oh yes i use this site for this problems hihi

https://www.sophos.com/en-us.aspx

https://www.f-secure.com/de_DE/web/home_de/home/

Usually they post virus details and if u read them every day never give virushihii hate antivirus systems because they need many ram and many cpu power 100% used :o(oh my godits really bad

I think it's the MSN virus that was running wild a wild a while back, MSN said they'd do something about it, so you should check there first. It might be a whole new virus, so you might also want to send them an email about it, just try to find anything on http://www.msn.com/de-de?rd=1&ucc=DE&dcc=DE&opt=0 that you can, I will look for info on it on Google...Then I will reply with what I found.

for the future, I would be extremely careful who sends EXE files over msn. They can go a huge amount of damage if you dont know what that EXE is. So far, I never have a virus over MSN. Good thing I have an antivirus for these types of situations :o

The best (and only surefire) way to protect yourself from messenger viruses is to ask your friends what it is BEFORE you download it, or (even better) never download files with the extensions .exe .pif .bat or .com

That's creepy! I don't use MSN Messenger that often, since I only have one contact there. If I were in that situation, I'd freak. I'm not used to having viruses. Do you think telling MSN will do something? But then, I don't think they have control over what people are sending each other...

Hi, there is a virus spreading across MSN messenger. if you get a message from the people on your MSN list saying that they want to put there photos/pictures on your friendster/facebook/bebo/myspace, be aware that it is not the people you know. it is a virus, the message will send you a file called "image23.zip". don't accept (save as) this message. if you already saved this on your computer, don't double click it. just highlight it & delete. once you double click it, the virus is activated & it will give the same message you received to your freinds on MSN. This is not HOAX. I don't know what this virus is, I think it may be a keylogger or admin password stealer, so beware. PLEASE post this message to everyone-Mark

Hi,
there is a virus spreading across MSN messenger. if you get a message from the people on your MSN list saying that they want to put there photos/pictures on your friendster/facebook/bebo/myspace, be aware that it is not the people you know. it is a virus, the message will send you a file called "image23.zip". don't accept (save as) this message. if you already saved this on your computer,

don't double click it. just highlight it & delete. once you double click it, the virus is activated & it will give the same message you received to your freinds on MSN.

This is not HOAX. I don't know what this virus is, I think it may be a keylogger or admin password stealer, so beware. PLEASE post this message to everyone

-Mark

so is this only on msn? i read that someone on here has received it via gmail.... so does that mean that you can get it on aim/yahoo/any IM applicatioN?

Also, how do we know that its a virus/why are we freaking out since we do not even know what it does?
Edited by GaMeRrEmAg (see edit history)

Can you get a virus through a youtube link?

Warning: Virus Spreading Through Msn Messenger

Well I was wondering if you could get a virus through a youtube link with the url saying youtube.Com.

-question by Andrew

I've never came across anything like this before. Give your computer another scan, see if anything is found in your system. Or try using another scanner if nothing is picked up. You should have used your common sense, ask the contact what it is before you accept it! :)

i've never heard of a virus spreading through msn messenger. i'v never had any problems with msn messenger. its been very reliable for me. maybe because i run antivirus and programs and stuff on my computer or maybe i'm just lucky lol.