xisto Community
iGuest

How Long Did it take you to learn HTML

The basics I learned in a few days.But I'm still learning new things and little tricks about HTML Now I'm also learning CGI , that is harder than HTML... Keep trying to improve your skills and...Practice makes perfect.:D

I just picked it up as I made my site. The basics stick there but the long things don't lol. I have been learning HTML for 2 years now and I still dont know it all. I have never actually sat there and read it and tried to memorise it though to be fair!

the basics about a month.. but just until recently i just got standards and proper use and how to really write good html...so probably about 3 months adding up time

You can learn all of HTML in 2 weeks or less, but really master it and understand it you have to experiment with it. I've been making my web site for 1+ year now, and I don't remember every HTML tags. I have the habbit of going back to the book, but I'm nailing down the basics of HTML pretty good. It depends on the time you put in practicing it.

I will try and give you a quick reply here, HTML IS the standard (meaning it is used almost entirely in all web based applications, in fact it might even be i've never really looked into it.)

Look at html like the main language for all "browsers" like internet explorer, firefox, opera, etc to intrepret or "understand" meaning it reads the information (in a file much like a wordpad document, except this uses .html instead of .doc or whatever your wordpad would use.) this file is usually found on the server.

Basically, there are hundreds of different ways for the server to output the file the browser will read to translate into a website, some people use PHP, PERL, ASP, etc.. you can code these to do specfic things (like forum posting for example) These types of languages usually work by getting a bit of data from the user (like forum posts, username, etc.) and then from that it will turn it into html, this is where it outputs the file for the browser to read. but thats far too much for you now, basically by learning html you will create the basis from which you can create very complex websites.

For your consideration if you want to make really in depth websites it can be very fun, i'll recommend a few things for you.

1.learn html first, this is the basis for everything, learn how to do majority of things, it won't make things look pretty but you'll learn alot....

2.Look at software for making the graphical parts of your website (like the cool edges or borders you see on some sites...) my recommendation would be either GIMP or the trial for adobe photoshop cs2 which can be found from google, learn how to make interesting tables and wonderful graphics, once you feel familiarized with this you should move on to step 3. Also, http://www.good-tutorials.com/ can be a good place for learning specific things that you can search for, like typing UI in the search bar for example, just remember that alot of the pages because they are from external sources may not load.

step 3, this is the fun part, learn CSS, it's stillvery easy, if you wanted to you could learn photoshop while learning CSS (if your a coding geek you could probably pull this off..) CSS is a way of telling the browser of how to render specific parts of the html data, this is done by a .css file which the browser will read first.... you can turn tags like the <h1> tag into something completely different than the standard, you could make it bold, or anything really... CSS is amazing, you can do almost anything to a file. Look at http://www.csszengarden.com/, then click the links on the right, it's all the same website they've just "opened" different files on each page but the html code for the site is the exact same on each one, isn't that amazing? you could basically make CSS files for a users preferences.

step 4, learn a little javascript.
this is almost a programming language, and since the standards are screwed up it might be difficult to make it work for everything, but this can really help develop dynamic content.... if you have ever looked at google maps, the way it doesn't need to refresh is because of javascript, but the possibilities are endless, you can make butterfly graphics move across the screen at random... you could make a date/time script that actually keeps running without ever needing to refresh the page.

step 5, get into server side with PHP or PERL, I recommend PHP because its become a standard, learn how a database like MYSQL works... a great resource for all languages including html is http://ww1.w3cschools.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t, can be a great place to get started.... once you learn PHP you really will have an amazing amount of power availible at your fingertips. You could basically almost do anything in web design within reason and you'd rival anyone else here.

I hope you find that useful, if you need anymore information feel free to ask. And for your question, html can take anywhere from a week to a month to basically learn the most important things, 4 months usually of mastering specific things (usually problems that occur with the code that cause a a page to render incorrectly.)

Edited by hyper_monkey20 (see edit history)

it was taught in class during my 3rd year in high school, although it was more of a "quickie" since we just tackled it for a day. i got interested for a while then due to classes my mind was already taken off web designing. then in college, i just shifted to using php along with html. learning php took me about less than a month i guess.

I would say that it shouldn't take longer than about a month to get a decent page together. Depending on a couple of things, like how complex you wish to make the page, whether you are worried about having it validate, use of the positioning techniques that 'stretch the limits', etcetera. And how much effort you want to put into it.You should be able to get 'a page' together quicker than that, of course, but I imagine that it will take several versions before you are somewhat happy with the results. I've been playing around with it for 2 years now and I am still discovering new methods and tricks, so to become quite proficient will take longer, of course.Good Luck with it.

HTML didn't take me that long to learn at all, but I have a lot of programming expierence, which made it really easy for me to learn. I got the basics down in a couple days. Its an easy enough language to learn.

mmm it wasnt hard for me, and well i started way back in grade 5! Yeah my first page was on asianavenue.com. On that site I started using photoshop to make graphics and using basic html codes. The site, sadly closed down =( so after that I made my own website with the url parakiss.frih.net. My hoster was frihost, But unfortunatly i couldnt keep up with the site, school and everything was taking up my time. But while on that site, i learned how to use scripts and installing wordpress. Also basic RSS.

HTML is the base of web design, if you want to build a website, you would need to know the base language and that is HTML. If you have been in web design for quite some time, it may seem something easy for you. I learnt HTML in a couple of days, with the formatting, tables, span, divs ... etc it just all came through like that. HTML is not as complex as dynamic technology like PHP, JSP and ASP .... etc, if you want to learn to build a very powerful website , HTML is the way to start before jumping into other things like CSS, PHP, JSP ... etc.

I first got into html when I was eleven, so it took me about a month or something to be able to make a decent website layout. A long time, I guess, though back then I didn't really have the patience. It really depends on the person, I think, since I know people who took a web design class for four months and still couldn't really grasp the concept of html. If you keep at it and are generally a fast learner it can take you anywhere from two days to a week, I'd say.Html isn't very good by itself though, so I suggest that you also take the time to learn some css and maybe even a little bit of php.

Edited by Cherish (see edit history)

just to learn the basic html it will probably take you around two weeks depending on if you really work on it or not about two weeks ago i started out learning it without any previous experience with it and so far i have learned alot its really not that hard once you start it.