HOME       >>       Science and Technology

Is X-Men Possible With Genetic Engineering ?

sekhar

I think its possible by genetic engineering. But it takes time may a century to get through that.

webintern

A lot has already been said about the topic, and, unfortunately, I was not able to read every entry. There is no doubt that genetic technology can and will evolve to allow manipulation of human genes. Despite critics and ethicists (of whom I am one) who warn us against interfering with basic human nature, human inquisitiveness and our uncanny ability to rationalize against any form of morality will inevitably lead to the human race applying genetic engineering on itself. Society norms and values will catch up, regardless of how strong the opposition is during the inception of the first human clone or genetically-engineered baby.So the question is not IF, but WHEN will we begin to genetically engineer ourselves. Consequently, our ability to create X-Men depends on which mutant powers are within the realm--or even the edge--of possibility. Some possibilities include chameleon-like mutants, mutants who derive their energy via photosynthesis, or mutants with eagle eyes and wings. Less likely possibilities, on the other hand, are those that have not yet been effected by biophysics. For example, how will one conceptually create a mutant to control the weather patterns? How would one be able to become invisible or walk through walls? Controlling others' minds?On the other hand, we must also remain alert that all far-fetched and fantastic ideas are not necessarily beyond the grasp of reality. The cavemen could not ever imagine, not in a million years, of these so-called liquid crystal displays that produce images and change colors based on the user's will. Even the greatest philosophers of the Renaissance era may not have been able to remotely conjure the idea of invisible beams that transmit energy to objects floating thousands of miles away. In short, anything is potentially possible. But, we do not know what is or what is not.

cyborgxxi

Well I have posted in this topic before but not for a while and I don't really feel like reading everything right now.

I think that

So the question is not IF, but WHEN will we begin to genetically engineer ourselves. Consequently, our ability to create X-Men depends on which mutant powers are within the realm--or even the edge--of possibility. Some possibilities include chameleon-like mutants, mutants who derive their energy via photosynthesis, or mutants with eagle eyes and wings. Less likely possibilities, on the other hand, are those that have not yet been effected by biophysics. For example, how will one conceptually create a mutant to control the weather patterns? How would one be able to become invisible or walk through walls? Controlling others' minds?

I agree, we as humans will probably start to genetically engineer ourselves soon enough but like you stated I doubt that many of the Mutant powers will ever become reality. We cannot manipulate our cells into something to go through a wall or hide. However we may be able to enhance attributes but not create new ones.

zyzzyvette

I think that a lot of things would be possible if we knew a lot more about the human genome than we did, and had a lot more technology.I think the question is, why would you want to do that? It would be awful cruel to do that to a helpless little baby, and I don't think there's a real need for it. Making sure your kid is healthy is one thing, and trying to turn them into something bizarre just for the sake of it is another.

Aka_Bar

After seeing the X-men movies I have decided to ask today would it be possible to create real "X-men"? With current techniques we are able to remove and implant genetic material into living things. For example we insert certain genes into bacteria so it can make products such as factor 8, for people with hemophelia, and genes into cows that will allow them and their offspring to create upto 20% more milk. So what i'm asking is what is the next step and what will its ethical implications be. Will there ever be genetic manipulation of the human DNA sequence to better the human species? If there ever is than will these changes allow people ablities such as that of the X-men or will it never go that far?

You Know here is one THING about Current genetics very poor in imagenation of full information about DNA as i know they are only on way on it becouse genetics is the youngest science so they know only 2% about DNA and we can easly understand they are blind at nowdays, and i guess that ur dreams wont come true, as ingeneer one thing i can say! they shuold use Nano techalogies also coz its most potecial, and about ablities such as in Films there is one thing like LAW of PHISICS anyway u are HUMAN not a Stone or rock to do somthing like in Films!! thats way it call Fantasy Films

inportb

Maybe not simply genetic engineering. We need to figure out first how the physics works. If we can get these things to work with inanimate objects, then perhaps we can try genetic engineering.

webintern

I was watching and got hooked on the television series "Heroes" recently. It provides an interesting perspective on genetic evolution and the development of mutant powers ... sans the spandex. There is not much science in the shows, but it is quite entertaining to watch how otherwise ordinary individuals cope with and apply their newfound powers.

sparkx

I personally hope the researches stop before they make a major mistake. In my opinion you shouldnt be able to change weather or not you can do sertain things threw altered DNA. Im ok with them curing disiases and all but in my opinion it would make the would unfair. Giving the people that are rich but not speacual become better than others (like in sports) that trained there butt off to get strong, is just not fair. I hope they stop researching this subject (but stay on solving diseases). I think they may eventually go as far as "editing" a persons brain so they can learn faster or their body so they can run faster (ect). They should'nt do it but, who's going to stop them? Me? Im only 14.sorry about typing im using a very slow conection and it takes a while for the letters to go onto the screen. Ill fix it later if I remember to.~Sparkx~

punkazoide

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

check it out.... might be fake... but gives a perception on things...
more than major physical modifations, i think performance modifications will be the first step....
check out ray kerzweils thoughts as well......

cinemove

yer becouse there are jeans in the dna that allaw you to do that

imskaterpunk

i think people can be genetically altered to have super powers like the x men but i also think that if we give it time people will evolve on their own and gain the sweet powers. i would hope that if scientists figured out how to genetically alter humans to have powers i would want to be the first one in line to get mutated presuming there was no bad side affects that could kill me in the long run.

JohnNitro

the only known to me genetic manipulation thats been done, was to make you stronger, faster and less prone to fear etc just basically trying to make a better human if one in one way as to not mess up the structure., but like most experiments there are failures. shorten life spam is one another is over developed muscle in one area which is painful.

marcos1405241547

ahi va, estoy probanmdo a ver si sumo creditos

iGuest

Ok first people might say that it will never be possible for us to alter DNA to end up like magneto of wolverine but I disagree as if you look at some older movies with I don't know spy equipment and other technology not around then people would of said that these things will never be invented but look now mobile phones mp3/4 players things that people thought would never exist Ok a big step from that to DNA modification but stay with me one reason why it may never happen is due to the fact that some people think it is wrong to mess with DNA so you can only guess what will happen if you do, Now my attitude is that there will be some one out there willing to offer them self up if they have the chance to become like wolverine granted you would be left with lots of scares and develop a bone defect with having them covered in metal Adamantium yes it is real and yes it is virtually indestructible but it is a us government classified secret it is not found in nature but is man made but it is not an element as its properties do not qualify it for any known space on the periodic table any way also if it does ever become possible to change DNA to become like an X-man But they were naturally gifted and created not by man playing God which frankly if you can play God I think do it governments would not let just anyone get it done just in case they had an uprising like on X-men they would use it to cure conditions like Multiple sclerosis, cancer and AIDS or something like that or do the opposite and create a weapon that mutates people in to something like the secretary of defense in the first film or something like that any way I don't actually know if it is possible to change DNA to become like a man made X-man but I think it will be in the future.-rock God

iGuest

Ok said adimantium was real but its not read a stupid extract from a marvel comic some one was trying to pass of as a real article it is not a real metal but in fact a mineral so my apologies for that.-rock God

iGuest

Some may be possible, but making Cyclopes is out of the question. All you need is a vial of radioactive superman juice and a few genetic modifications. Just in case.

-classified

rockarolla

Not only lost limbs, they are doing quite some stuff for growing new organs for transplantation. But it seems not that easy - and thats because the experiments with anumals and ppl are forniden. I have some suspictions that at some places these is not the case. Probably secretly experiments of all kinds are carried out and not for the above mentioned noble goals...The best thing of course wll be to battle death I see myself as immortal

iGuest

Man-Made X-Men Is X-Men Possible With Genetic Engineering ?

Nothing is impossible. I wouldn't be surprise if we were to create a human into a man made superman or x-men.  Technology today is advancing at a fast speed.Take flying, in less than 90 years we were already on the moon. Sure thats a long time but now we are getting better and better technology each year. Cell phones are getting smaller, some with touch screen. Everything is possible. If you can dream it, you can do it.

-reply by GBunny

iGuest

Replying to yeh

haha well that confused me butI think its possiblePeople didnt think it was possible for zombies to exist but it turns out theres a form of rabies for HUMANs to catch and it spreads so there is many possibitys for this "mutant" ideaBy the wayUra dork

-reply by yurmom

surfermac

genetic engineering is developing rapidly so it may be possible in the near futurewe are already seeing the effects of the mutationbut all of them are mostly illif they could control the mutationsthen all the sci fi movies could come into life

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2Page 3

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.