xisto Community
JasperIk

I Don't Think Mcdonalds Is Contributing To Obesity Amongst Kids As Much As People Say They Are

I was watching the movie Super Size Me awhile ago actually, but anyway. It said that by having the playground and games at mcdonalds it makes more kids come, and they eat their food and it contributes to poor health. However, everytime i have ever gone to mcdonalds (i hate mcdonalds, especially because ive been a vegetarian basically all my life) and i looked out into the playground area, none of the kids were eatting the food. They dont want the food, they just want to play. I cant even begin to explain how many times i witnessed kids get in trouble for hardly touching their food, and just wanting to go and play. A lot of the kids only eat the food because their parents force them to, they rather go and play [exersize even] then to eat the mcdonalds food. They dont come for the food, their parents do and they only eat it because they have to. Besides all that, really the only kids who i have seen that do eat the food on their own free will dont like to play on the playground. Its like that with a lot of places even Chuck E Cheese, they just want to play not eat. Its not really Mcdonalds fault that obesity is such a big deal, its parent's fault for taking them to mcdonalds, or any other fast food restaurant, instead of packing a healthier lunch [like a sandwich] and going to a park.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit to shorten title. Split part into the description field. It was stretching the board.

i see your point there, JasperIk, lol, i remember as a youngster i wouldn't order food i woud just play and grab a fry and sip of my parents drink then run off and play again...some people dont realize that kids have allot of energy so they not only burn off what they eat...they burn off more than what they need in most cases..also allot of people are not realizing that babies now adays are getting loads bigger than what they used to be... i was 9 pounds 13 ounces when i was born...and 24 inches long too :)possibly another reason that children are getting bigger as life goes on is because of the way the mother eats when the baby is in her whom..because if i remember correctly, whatever the mom eats and drinks the baby gets allready chewed up parts of it..so if the mom is sitting there eating a gallon of icecream in a week because that is the only thing that doesn't make her nauciuas the baby is obviously going to be a big baby..so it is not the restuarnts fault, they also serve salads...when is the last time you saw parents buy their child a salad and have them eat it :)

Another thing I hate: Before I switched to Independant Studies, I hated my school's lunch. First of all hardly anything didnt have meat in it. The salad had meat, the pizza had meat, sandwhiches were filled with meat. Everything was greasy. Its like why not take effort, and buy stuff that isnt filled with grease? Have some fricking steamed vegetables, or even atleast fruit for people to buy. Its healthier, and tastes better. And when the school says it has a nice balanced food menu, that is BS ...cup a noodles may have vegetables in it, but it isn't healthy for you. The schools are killing their kids, just to save money for things like repainting the bathrooms cuz of graffity, guess what? Leave the grafitty its going to keep coming back, spend money on better food because the kids health is more important. I know that isnt exactly on topic, but im talking about poor choices made by adults, besides the parents dont have to pay for school lunches they again, can pack a healthier one.

It's all about self control and management. If people weren't so spoiled by technology like the automobile or eating so many calories and doing jack about them, there would be less obiesity in the world. I'll bet many of you don't even know it's ride your bike to work day!

What all I hear is people who are morbidly obese attack large chain food stores like McDonalds...I personally think what they get on with is rubbish, there is such thing as responsibility and free will.They go off and feel sorry for themselves and blame McDonalds because of their weight.I may sound harsh and I know that the majority of obsese people would not blame McDonalds, but I know that there would be a large minority who would blame fast food chains because of their own weight.

*comment: whoa, this is probably my longest reply yet. Hang tight!I saw ?Super Size Me? a while back and thought that it was an entertaining documentary. As a whole, I think that the movie had a rather profound effect on McDonalds (probably a financial one, to say the least) as I?ve noticed a significant change to their menu in recent times. McDonalds has strived to increase the amount of veggies in their long array of selectable menu/combo options. The introduction of their own line of salads, more lettuce in burgers and wraps? the list goes on.But drawing back to the central question of this thread, do I think McDonalds is contributing to obesity in children?Summary: Yes. I do believe that Ronald and his posse ?were? doing a damn good job.Kids like to play in the jungle gyms. Sure. I agree with that. But children also like the toys, toys that are given to them only if the parents buy the Happy Meal. Children also like fries, fries that are part of that same meal. Kids know what they want and when they want it (they cry, bicker, create a scene), parents oblige because they want to see their kids happy. Personally, I feel that the marketing scheme set forth by McDonalds is to target kids and only recently have that started to shift directions. Once kids are drawn in, parents follow suit. Here?s the other side of the fence ? my rationale for putting the ?were? in quotations. There is no doubt that parents play a huge (and I cannot stress this enough) part in their children?s upbringing. Children will look up to their parents and follow whatever model has been set up by them: dietary choices being the one of focus here. If parents eat Big Macs and fries often, so will the children. Poor choices will lead to poor parenting which will subsequently lead to the poor upbringing of their offspring.***Now, to address the issue of obese people suing someone/some corporation for causing their obesity. This reminds me of the time when a lady won her case after suing McD for not putting ?hot? on the coffee cup after she had spilt the coffee and burned herself. I think that?s just idiotic. Clearly anyone with common sense would know that coffee is hot. Likewise, it should also be common sense that unhealthy dietary choices will lead to obesity and other diseases. I find it sad when people use this as an opportunity to score some extra cash rather than to deal with their problems with dignity. Of course, we should not undermine the fact that obesity is in fact an inheritable disease and those individuals suffering from it should not be subjected to discrimination. ***And finally, the deal with school serving up unhealthy meals. A lot of school have contracts with companies like coca-cola (and their derivatives) and these companies regulate what foods can be served in the school. The principal (or other higher ups) usually choose this alternative because it generates more money for the school ? money that can be used, as was mentioned, for repairs, buying new equipment, etc.***My final comment: a proper diet is without a doubt pivotal to a healthy lifestyle. Essential nutrients (not made but required by the body) can only be obtained through the consumption of food. In fact, the line that divides ?healthy? and ?unhealthy? foods is pretty vague. McDonalds isn?t necessarily ?bad? for your body. It?s just that anything in excess does more harm than good.It?s all about balance and moderation.

Something I can say a lot about.One thing is that people should not blame the place for making the food. YOU ate it. No one else did. What a lot fo people dont realize is the people consume more than they are supposed to because they let them selves do it. People should control themselves when eating food. If you are going to eat something it it and then leave! Dont go back to get two more. If you are going to eat inside of the place park far away. That way you can walk and work some of the food off.Kids are obese becuase of their parents. When good parents good food and balance out what their kids eat, others buy the kids junk everday. I have this one family member who does not eat real food but only has soada chips and popcorn all day long. Candy is thrown in. His mom does not say anything. His dad just looks at his son saying he is a good boy.

mcdonalds do it not to get the kids obease, they don't care if they kids eat their food or not. they do it for the money! every kid in that mcD's playarea has a parent paying. And a noticeable side effect is that kids get to like the food. Cha-ching $$$$$

lol.. in my case, i'm 20 pounds below my weigh so i don't really care about consuming all those FATS from mcdonalds. What is better than getting 460 calories (double cheese burger) for just 1 dollar? I have to admit that the reason why i'm so skinny is because i have a really bad eating habit. I barely eat anythign in the morning before school (usually cup noodle -- which is very healthy), and also i don't eat lunch because i don't think it worth spending 2 dollars on some *BLEEP* food that makes you want to throw-up. I'm pretty activtive in school activities too, so i usually get home around 4-5 and eat my dinner. So basically.. that's 1 meal per day for me. Then that continue for the next day.

People well americans mostly need to just start eating healthy even if its at mc donalds dont order a large fry and a large soda.. get smalls and a double cheese burger there you go 900 calories out the window.There is no real reason some one should be fat.

The way I see it is that people have a choice, to eat or not to eat. Obviously they are going to choose to eat but they don't have to choose Mcdonalds now do they?This is somewhat off topic but dealing with the same issue. I read an article awhile back about an organization along with 2 parents sueing Nickelodian (the kids tv network) and Kellog's food for making kids fat because they advertise junk food so much during the time when kids are watching TV. But really it is the parents fault for going out and buying the junk food in the first place. If the parents would say no then bad things would not happen in the first place.So when people go to McDonalds and buy a bunch of junk food and then complain about getting fat they are just trying to overlook the fact saying they have a problem.

I don't think that McDonald should take all the blame here. Yes, some of their stuff is not that healthy, but no one is forcing parents to go and eat there. And nowadays - at least in the UK, McDonalds actually offers one portion of fruit or vegetable with their kids' meals. The fact remains that, going to McDonalds once or twice a month, like I do with my kids, won't do them a lot of harm. If they have an actively lifestyle and otherwise eat healthy enough, one greasy burger every other week is not going to make them obese.I must admit that we don't eat particularly healthy in my home. We only have 2 or 3 of the 5 portions of fruits and vegetables a day doctors keep on saying we should all eat. The kids have chocolate cereals for breakfast. We love our potatoes - whether mashed, roasted or in the form of chips or wedges. And there's always sweets and sugary stuff for the kids to eat...But then again, we walk everywhere. The kids have been taught that they only get sweets if they behave and eat the rest of their food first. They are involved in lots of activities and sports. The food I cook is always prepared without any oil. I only buy 100% beef burgers, so that you don't get all the crap that cheaper brand add to theirs.It's all a question of balancing food and an active lifestyle...