HOME       >>       Science and Technology

Broadband Over Power Line Standard Coming Move over Wi-Fi

Watermonkey

Imagine this: the fastest broadband known today is cable.
1) OC-28, OC-Lines (Up to 1GB of transfer) -- Cable.
2) Residential Cable (Fiber Optics) Up to 100MBPS -- Cable.
3) Governmental Labatory Internet (Fiber Optics) Up to 1 TB -- Cable.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly in the above quote, but the "O" in OC-28 (I've never heard of OC28, there's OC48 and other multiples of 12 -OC4, OC12, OC48, OC192 are the most common, but not OC28 to my knowledge) means "Optical" and a single DS-3 (43.12 MB/s if my math is correct) can't be transported more than about 100 feet through a single copper cable (similar in appearance to the type of cable used to connect your cable TV or satellite). In number 2 and 3 you have "fiber optics" in parenthesis yet you say cable. I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "cable". To me, it means copper. The only way to carry any of the above is optical fiber, not copper. Did I miss something?

There are problems with broadband over power, or at least there were. Perhaps they've ironed things out by now. The biggest problem with BPL is leakage, interference causing radio transmission and reception to be nearly impossible in an area near the BPL service. This flies in the face of FCC laws that have been on the books since 1934 and if those laws were to be removed amateur and professional radio would be in real trouble. As far as I can see through quick research this problem hasn't been resolved. I don't know how it's working in Oz...

mixxoys

Its not going to be worth it at all!

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.