xisto Community
serverph

Broadband Over Power Line Standard Coming Move over Wi-Fi

i remember hearing about this ages ago, i thought the idea died out since there hasn't been much media on it for quite a while now. i found it interesting that they actually used it in some areas; never would have guessed it too be australia haha! its just seems weird to me, we usually have one mainstream method of data transfer and stick to it.i actually thought that the technology was still in development and would some day replace cable/adsl, but now you say adsl with optic fiber is much faster (which is understandable) i'm pretty disappointed. i really wanted HIGH speed (ie. 100mb) data transfer through power lines, it makes a lot of things far more convenient; but then it brings up the matter of networking as well. would we still need hubs/routers to network pcs or would they automatically be networked through the power lines. if they were networked through power lines, then would all pcs be networked? i mean, if u still need to cable your pcs up with a hub, the whole idea of power line internet seems rather un-innovative. then again you could link up your pcs through wi-fi... but wi-fi is rather poor for home networking imo.ahh well, theres still the internet 2 to look forward isn't there? or am i mistaking it for something else? i remember reading an article about it having super data transfer speeds... would that be to do with the actually cabling or protocols used? ;t now i'm just confusing myself.

I think the ability to be able to access the internet by using power lines is a good thing and possibly one which will be used by most people in the future.There are many advantages for using the power lines to access the internet. :- using the electric is fast, easy, saves having ethernet wires through walls/ceilings, would most likely be a cheap method if it was a standard thing that broadband was to be included by electric cabling.However, there still are a couple of disadvantages. These are :- If a lot of people are using the internet at the same time. (I would guess that neighbours and nearby residents would be using the same connection), the speed could be greatly affected, there could be plenty of downtime, especially during storms and also if someone had poor fitted wiring, an electrician would be needed to come and work out why there isn't a broadband connection travelling through the electrics.Overall, I think being able to access the internet through electrical power lines would be a good thing and as said above, it would make the internet a lot easier and quicker to access. People would just plug into the electric supply and they'd be online.It would be good to see this method being used a lot in the future and I think it will.

Although Broadband over powerline may be the hype of today, the same can not be said about tomorrow.
Since Broadband over powerline is capped at a rate of 14mbps, 20mbps max, it will not become the future.

The future demands a strong baseline of speed, and the traditional DSL and 56k has it. No not copperwires, but Fiber Optics.

Cable has already adopted to these standards.

Although many residential cable connections are capped at 3mps-6mbps, its full capactity speed is at 100mbps. Your comcast internet cable provider is just limiting your speed!

Imagine this: the fastest broadband known today is cable.

1) OC-28, OC-Lines (Up to 1GB of transfer) -- Cable.
2) Residential Cable (Fiber Optics) Up to 100MBPS -- Cable.
3) Governmental Labatory Internet (Fiber Optics) Up to 1 TB -- Cable.

over the power lines?????
so we've got all these switching power supplies throwing line noise onto the grid that everyone has to buy power conditioners so they don't have problems that they have just caused, and now into that noise someone wants to throw signal and try to pull it back out again? Bizzare dead end.

Hahaha.I don't know if that kind of thing is feasible here in where I live, where poor people still have to pilfer electricity.This is a good idea though, and I'd like to see it in my place someday. I'm currently on cable internet, and it's okay; doesn't lag like DSL.

i just can't belive this.. i just can't... it's just.. strange.. very strange.. i was thinking about this idea for some time, and posted something for google.. what.. ok, discard this reply but.. strange. i'm going off now.. for a day or two maybe week or month. probably a year ;)

Imagine this: the fastest broadband known today is cable.
1) OC-28, OC-Lines (Up to 1GB of transfer) -- Cable.
2) Residential Cable (Fiber Optics) Up to 100MBPS -- Cable.
3) Governmental Labatory Internet (Fiber Optics) Up to 1 TB -- Cable.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly in the above quote, but the "O" in OC-28 (I've never heard of OC28, there's OC48 and other multiples of 12 -OC4, OC12, OC48, OC192 are the most common, but not OC28 to my knowledge) means "Optical" and a single DS-3 (43.12 MB/s if my math is correct) can't be transported more than about 100 feet through a single copper cable (similar in appearance to the type of cable used to connect your cable TV or satellite). In number 2 and 3 you have "fiber optics" in parenthesis yet you say cable. I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "cable". To me, it means copper. The only way to carry any of the above is optical fiber, not copper. Did I miss something?

There are problems with broadband over power, or at least there were. Perhaps they've ironed things out by now. The biggest problem with BPL is leakage, interference causing radio transmission and reception to be nearly impossible in an area near the BPL service. This flies in the face of FCC laws that have been on the books since 1934 and if those laws were to be removed amateur and professional radio would be in real trouble. As far as I can see through quick research this problem hasn't been resolved. I don't know how it's working in Oz...