xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Configuring The Extra Buttons On A Gaming Mouse

I know I ask a lot of questions.... (@yordan).... but I like asking questions more than answering them so please bear with me.....

So I have this gaming mouse that has 6 extra buttons than a traditional mouse. Its made by a local company and its known by the name Dany challenger g6000 gaming mouse (link). I do play games but not those FPSs that would require a sophisticated gaming mouse. The main purpose of buying this mouse was so that i can configure the extra keys for my normal activities in the windows.

To be more specific, I wanted the extra buttons to work for functions like cut, copy, paste, forward, back etc. Unlike the more expensive gaming mice, this mouse doesn't have its own software to configure the extra keys for custom functions. And by default the buttons work for some strange (and useless) things that i never need. For instance of the two buttons that are meant to be pressed by the thumb, the front one works for opening the homepage. So if I am working on this Xisto post, and press this button, it would instantly take me to the home page of the browser. This is quite useless (and possibly damaging too). The button behind the describe button does some strange thing that I don't exactly understand. When I click it, it would select the entire line of text, and sometimes the entire paragraph so I think that it works like double click or probably triple click.

On the top surface of the mouse are 4 buttons. One of these is the DPI button that changes the dpi mode of the mouse. This one works just fine. However the other three don't. You can see those buttons in the picture on the link provided above.

So what I would like to do is know about some solution that would make it possible for me to configure these extra buttons for custom functions of my liking.

I googled the issue, and the first result was about the software "x-mouse button control". It appeared to be the exact thing that I was looking for so I went on to download the software and then intalled it. But the UI was rather strange and I couldn't understand it enough to configure the mouse buttons. Moreover, it didn't recognize all the mouse buttons so eventually, I ended up uninstalling the software immediately.

So a software which I can use to configure the extra buttons of my mouse for custom functions of my likings with do for me.......

Anybody........!

I think your best option is to get x-mouse-button-control working for you. I'm not a Windows user, but it seems to be the best option.On Linux, your typical 3 button mouse is actually considered a 5 button mouse. Left, Middle, Right, Scroll Up, Scroll Down. There many methods to configure additional buttons, although would involve installing extra software.This can allow you to map all buttons of the mouse to whatever you want to happen, this would be a system wide default. You can then be more specific and configure it for each application, e.g. changing the defaults to work better with your program, whether it's a game or browser, etc.Cheers,MC

What do you exactly mean by references ???And please do tell me how would I know the references of the device....

some devices are just a re-badged version of another... for instance i use to have a Gaming mouse that came with my GS1 Asus Gaming Laptop years ago... it came with a Driver CD which has a Logitech model Mouse model number on it, i realized its a Logitech mouse just redecorated with the GS1 logo

I think your best option is to get x-mouse-button-control working for you. I'm not a Windows user, but it seems to be the best option.
On Linux, your typical 3 button mouse is actually considered a 5 button mouse. Left, Middle, Right, Scroll Up, Scroll Down. There many methods to configure additional buttons, although would involve installing extra software.

This can allow you to map all buttons of the mouse to whatever you want to happen, this would be a system wide default. You can then be more specific and configure it for each application, e.g. changing the defaults to work better with your program, whether it's a game or browser, etc.

Its nice to hear from you again @MC

So if the only option for me is x-mouse-button, I will need to assess a few things before investing my time into the software...
The first of these things would be to make sure that it recognizes all of the extra buttons (which it is not currently doing). There are a total fo 6 extra buttons (as compared to a normal mouse) out of which it is recognizing only two (named it button 4 and button 5 i think.... can't be sure because I have previously uninstalled the software and haven't resintalled it). The other four buttons are not recognized at all, so assigning custom combinations to them is currently out fo the question.

The other thing is that it should have the ability of creating key combinations of user's choice. In the available list of actions that can be assigned to a button, some important things were missing like "select all" (which I do use alot and would love to have a button for it on my mouse)..

If the software can be made to cover these things, then I am ready to invest my time into configuring it and setting it up.... But I would like to mention again that I am not a technical expert so I will need a lot of help....... (and this would consume a lot of my time)..

some devices are just a re-badged version of another... for instance i use to have a Gaming mouse that came with my GS1 Asus Gaming Laptop years ago... it came with a Driver CD which has a Logitech model Mouse model number on it, i realized its a Logitech mouse just redecorated with the GS1 logo

Ok so the first question that came into my mind after reading your post is that how do I find whether this mouse is a badged up version of some other mouse. Is there some kind of code on the hardware itself or I will have to contact the manufacturer...... tell me @manu....

if you look up the model number of the device, google it or go to manufacturer website... you should find there more info about the device, and hopefully drivers as well

Well unfortunately, XBMC will not work until you have a driver that can support the additional mouse buttons. Windows only natively supports 5 buttons max (excludes Scroll Up and Scroll Down as buttons).If your mouse has any identification markings on it, like an FCC that could possibly shed more light on it. Otherwise, I would intentionally try a Logitech driver like Setpoint or Logitech G-Series. Drivers for mice aren't really that special and usually anyone's driver can control another mouse. Just be sure you know how to work the keyboard to remove the driver if you can't get the mouse working under these conditions. Once you have a driver that will identifiy all your mouse buttons, you should be able to use XBMC or even the driver software to configure the buttons.Cheers,MC

Before I try drivers of the more commonly known gaming mice, there is one idea that is coming to my mind....As I have posted sometime in the past, somewhere in the forum, I use lots of low quality generic gamepads for gaming. Sometimes, these gamepads won't work properly with a game i.e. some of the buttons would work and some won't. One easy fix for this is the emulator for xbox 360 controller. When I setup this emulator with my gamepad, everything works fine and every button behaves as if I am using an xbox 360 controller.So are there any emulators available for gaming mice. Something like microsft gaming mouse emulator or logitech gaming mouse emulator....Has anyone heard of anything like that.....?

Before I try drivers of the more commonly known gaming mice, there is one idea that is coming to my mind....
As I have posted sometime in the past, somewhere in the forum, I use lots of low quality generic gamepads for gaming. Sometimes, these gamepads won't work properly with a game i.e. some of the buttons would work and some won't. One easy fix for this is the emulator for xbox 360 controller. When I setup this emulator with my gamepad, everything works fine and every button behaves as if I am using an xbox 360 controller.

So are there any emulators available for gaming mice. Something like microsft gaming mouse emulator or logitech gaming mouse emulator....

Has anyone heard of anything like that.....?

i haven't... but i think gamepads are a much more popular topic than gaming mice interms of emulation... because a lot of games more heavily rely on the keyboard keys, and the usual 3 buttons on the mouse is normally sufficient for most PC Games... you can somehow map some of your keyboard keys to your extra mouse buttons for gamings (am not sure)....
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

A driver and an emulator are sort of the same in this sense, they provide software access to the actual hardware. That's really what you require, is software that will understand your device. So whether you find an emulator or a driver that can do it, either way would be fine.Cheers,MC

Ok, so if there aren't any emulators then I think I would have to follow @MC's advice and try the drivers of other more commonly known gaming mice. Lets see what happens....

Ok, so if there aren't any emulators then I think I would have to follow @MC's advice and try the drivers of other more commonly known gaming mice. Lets see what happens....

similar ones to yours