xisto Community
manuleka

Firefox Os Launches On Mwc

Another web based operating system! I kind of saw this coming! I remember when Google first announced their OS, I was a bit skeptical. Obviously, Firefox is starting off small on the web scale before moving on to anything more drastic! However, I'm interested in seeing what they have to offer in COMPARISON to some of the big boys in the mobile indiustry (Apple, Android and I know Blackberry is trying to make a return.) Thought though.. doesn't Google own firefox? With the whole premise of being web-based... I'm going to be interested in seeing if there are going to be some offline options, allowing people to use those apps when they don't have any signal (or on airplane mode.) That's one of the downsides I see of using solely web-based applications is because of that reason. Yes.. I know in the digital age we live in, we're in the realm of some type of wireless or 3G/4G coverage for the majority of the time... BUT for me, personally, there are some times when I need to save some battery life... so being able to put my phone in airplane mode and STILL have access to the apps is important.I'll keep an eye out on Firefox and see what surcomes of this.

Mozilla owns firefox. I expected Mozilla to be an independant company.Or do you mean that Google owns Mozilla?

i think the Firefox project was backed and greatly funded by google, i'm not sure if they still do now...

unless it is google again backing this new OS since its Chrome OS didn't get the expected or wanted traction since launch

Google funds a lot of projects. Ben Goodger who grew up in Auckland, NZ was the lead developer for Firefox, he use to work on Netscape before this which Netscape actually gave Firefox some of the features they had today, especially extensions/add-ons. Google hired him some years back to help with Chrome I believe, but he still is sometimes helping Firefox as well.Google is trying to use their name as a means of targetting consumers, but goodwill can only do so much. I would believe Android is doing beter than Chrome OS and I'm actually waiting till google stop working on both and just merge it into one. I'm sure this is bound to happen eventually.Cheers,MC

I am not a big fan of web-based OSs... The reason is that here we still use GPRS (no 3G or 4G) so most of the time you are offline... So for us the OS which has most features available offline is the best one.

The beauty of android (and for that matter Ios) is that they are as functional online as they are offline.... and that is why I like them both (android more so because of it is open-ness)... :D

For web browsing purposes, a web-based OS could be useful.

And of course Linux is probably the best (and free) solution for a standalone system, which may from time to time connect to the internet.

I love the android way, which makes your tablet being a standalone computer when you are far from home, and a connected computer when you can reach a wifi access :D

I liked the demo on youtube. I think such OS have its place but you cant use them like you do with android and apple. So basically you should go with that phone only if you are not planning to use it like any other android or apple phone. It is going to be a cheap phone so that is not a bad deal in my opinion, worth trying.

I guess that you need to have an unlimited web access for that? It will probably not work very well if you have a slow or limited or no internet access in the place where you are using your phone?