xisto Community
Rob_BCFC

Reputation is a way a user can say thank you by raising the reputation with +1 and if he or she thinks you need to improve your posts and stay on topic they can give a negative reputation point.So it's a way to see who are helping out in the forum and if the individual spent some time on helping you with a problem and even if it wasn't solved to your satisfaction you can grant a postive rep point for the effort.On the other hand you have an issue and are asking for some help and you get a nonsense post "LOL, I don't think so" or "Read the book" then that person is not helping, just posting to post. :) so a negative rep "can" be given.It's all up to the individuals here who you and they give rep to.Nils

As NilsC has said, if you help people, they might give you a reputation, or if you posted a very good tutorial. However, it's up to the users to give reputation. I hope you enjoy your day, and I agree that this forum is full of features! For more features, refer to the navigation bar on the top of the forum! You'll find that this forum is more than just chatting... it also has army systems, arcade, and the RPG Kenka game! Good luck with getting reputation too!

hey, i asked that same question awhile ago. seems really hard to get one i don't think i do cause i gave up checking. This place is great but you have to keep posting posting and more posting just to keep your site. that's not exactly easy sometimes.
round

round, I disagree just a little bit about posting. I've gotten to 17 credits and have maintained that amount just by posting once or twice a day, and those aren't to significant of posts (length). Just look to post around 7 - 10 times a week...good posts...and everything should be fine. As for reputation, I'm not too concerned with mine...just as long as it doesn't drop to -10 or somethin...that'd be concerning

Notice from NilsC:
This ninny tells you to stay on topic or I will give you a warning

Reputation is a way a user can say thank you by raising the reputation with +1 and if he or she thinks you need to improve your posts and stay on topic they can give a negative reputation point.

69079[/snapback]

Or it's a way for some ninny to tell you that they don't like you.

The reputation system motivates users to refrain from saying anything controversial, to keep everything very vanilla, and avoid stepping on toes.

"To hell with honesty, I have a reputation to look after!"

I hope that future versions of the Xisto fora omit reputations.

Notice from NilsC:
Stay on topic or you will get a warning. Watch the language, the filter does not abolish you from receiving a warning for bad language
ya. many people here are always pretend to be goody two shoes. say something different and you are automatically an *BLEEP*, stupid, and generally of lower class.Please realize that this forum is not a place for intellectual conversations. If you are looking for that, it will be very one sided. People here prefer to talk about computer games, and making useless polls.Also, keep in mind that many of the people here are kids. Probably half the people here are under 18 and those that are older than 18 are not that much older either. Most of the "older" people here are still in university.so, knowing this...you can either join them in their mindless banter or post a more controversial opinion. If you post the opposite of what people "want" to hear, then you can get your post count up because people will try to argue with you. Just don't expect those responses to be very intelligent.

Notice from NilsC:
Stay on topic, or create your own topic. All caps are considered shouting and is very rude.
REPUTATION NEEDS TO BE DONE AWAY WITH!

Looking at the knee jerk reactions here I think one of the reasons you don't like the reputation point is that you received a negative one. I see some revenge negative points happening and I will suspend the right to give rep when that happens. I use the rep to praise because when you do something I don't like or that are not kosher when it comes to posting I give you a warning. This is a community that is put together with members from all over the world and from all age groups. We have to learn to co exist and respect each other and each other?s opinion. So by ignoring the posts we don?t have anything positive to say we may help in keeping the spirit up. I see a lot of posts that I could comment on but they are nothing but a ?flame? invitation and I refrain from answering. If you feel the need to answer such posts you should stay on topic and not try to insult the person who posted it in the first place.I see some comments here that I take as veiled treats to another member of this community and this is a fact since I have kept an eye on it for the last couple of days. This post started as a question on reputation and reputation points. Some of the answers are nothing but an attempt to intimidate. If you don?t have anything to say that covers the question at hand, create your own topics and don?t hijack someone else?s topic.Nils

ok. i thought it was clear that my post is actually ON topic. I guess I'll spell it out. Question: How to raise rep?Answer: Don't say anything controversial and be a nice guy no matter what.Nils, if this is still off topic... feel free to give me negative rep.

Although I don't have any reputation points so far, I'm just content with posting a comment here and there and perhaps start up a topic. I believe the points will eventually come if I provide a helpful link or, as some others mentioned, post a tutorial.

Yes, for example I think I have only one reputation point. It was given to me by a user whose question I answered (i?m not so wise to answer too much questions, hehe). So whenever you ask for something or want some help in the forum and someone gives you a good and useful reply, you can give him a reputation point explaining why do you give it.I think that?s how it works but I could be wrong. :(

When I received my first rep point, I said to myself, ?man the person who game me a point sure is a nice fellow.? All I did was post a link to his question and I got one. The second point came unexpectedly with a reason that my ?post really flows?. Now this was the tear jerker! I received a reward simply being honest with my thoughts and shared with my forum community. It gave me whole new perspective on my presence here at Xisto. There were feelings and anticipations growing in side of me much too familiar. Do you recall some Japanese game thingy called, Damaguchi (SP?), where an owner has a digital pet and needed to keep it happy by entertaining, feeding, exercising, etc? Well, my purpose in this forum was to keep my free hosting alive, initially. But now, I am more inclined to participate as though my appearance depended on it. To further explain, it?s like my daily chores to keep my house cleaned and checked?always dusting, mowing, recycling and keeping trash tied up. So I dust (looking through new topics and threads), mow (keeping my post concise and straight to the point), recycle (going back to old unresolved threads) and my trash tied up (instead of coming back with one, two punch lines to display my ego, I hold it for few days in my thoughts and respect other?s point of view). Participating in Xisto?s forum gave me further sense of ?I belong here.?

I?m glad I read NilsC?s post http://forums.xisto.com/topic/9858-reputation/ before I had the chance to counter post on one of my threads. I felt that one post in particular was well written, well researched and well represented. However, one of the responses was simple and narrow minded. The post basically denounced my intended message. Oh, I sat at my desk and tried to come up with an answer to put that poster to shame! But this is a forum and not a political debating table. And the reputation follows just like in real life?people will judge you however they judge no matter how good are your intensions. You cannot please everyone and everyone cannot like you. If you want your reputation points to increase, I?m sure you know what you have to do. But I think above all, reputation starts within you. It's how you view yourself in this Forum and your view of this Forum.

To get reputation, members who feel that your posts have contributed something to the community, have helped them in a problem, or are worthy of "praise" [ like for example a well-written poem ] will raise your reputation. It's usually not an easy feat to earn reputation, but you will be surprised. Personally, I don't find reputation that useful, but I don't own this forum, so it doesn't really matter what I find useful here or not. The reputation system can be a blessing and a curse - you can credit those who deserve, but then it can also be used to someone too much reputation - whether it is good or bad. But, that's basically how the reputation system works.