xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

The Correct Way To Use A Laptop Battery With Ac Power Plugged In.

That's a curious opinion. In order to save the laptop battery, you suggest buying an UPS ? It's not the cheapest way to to solve this problem, is it?Moreover, one of the most comfortable feature in laptops is the fact that they don't need any UPS because they have an embedded battery, so removing the battery and connecting an external UPS doesn't look the smartest way in my opinion. Except if you are the UPS reseller?

I also have a similar opinion. I personally am in favor of desktop computers because I think they are faster than their laptop couterparts. Furthermore they are easy to upgrade and repair. But I bought myself a laptop because I wanted to make sure that I would be able to work even in the absence of electricity and I could carry my work with me when I travel to distant places. The price at which I bought my laptop, I could have bought a Desktop with a much better hardware configuration plus a nice UPS to be protected against power failures. But then there was the question of portability and it was so important for me that I went for the more expensive and less performing option.

Now if I am to buy a UPS, the portability reason would just die and it would become extremely difficult for me to carry my stuff around when I move around. So I don't think this option is practical for me. Plus I think it is better to use your battery without caring about its life span and when you feel that battery doesn't last enough to let you work, then buy another one instead of buying a UPS. I think both solutions would cost the same.

I am in currently situation where there are more power cuts per day than they were used to be before. Earlier there was only one in the morning but now there is one in the morning and another at random during 2:30 pm or 4:30pm depending on their mood. This makes it really hard for me to use the desktop machine because it takes more time for the backup to charge. This is the reason I am also considering buying new laptop and replacing the current old one. I do think that desktop is still the best but the time it takes for the power failure and then rest of the daily routine. It makes it very hard to use the UPS and desktop. I am sure that there are similar situation where people are getting more than 10 hours of power loss (its quite common in any asian country). I don't understand how many people manage to maintain the desktop without UPS in such situation. I am sure that one of my hard drive failure was because of sudden power loss and lack of the UPS. Now that I have it though i don't think it helps considering the more power failures these days.

@starscream, this is the exact reason why i now own a laptop instead of a powerful desktop, which i could have bought for much cheaper. But i guess in curent circumstances only laptops with battery backup of more than 2 hours are our only solution. In my country there are occasionally power failures that last for more than an hour several times a day. But power failures that last for more than two hours are not that common atleast in the city i live in. So a laptop that gives me two hours of battery backup even when i do demanding work is the choice for me and fortunately enough i my current laptop does qualify for this contion. So i would suggest yluateou to evaluate your needs first and then invest accordingly.

It would pay to invest in a Solar recharging equipment... I'm not sure about Laptops but I've stumbled a few iPhone Solar chargers on our local ebay... If power cuts are happening randomly without a specific time limitation then i suggest finding solutions like these

For a laptop, you need a wide solar charger, because you need at least 150 watts. So, mobile generators for ships are a good solution, very easy to find on the market. But be careful, it costs about $300, probably more expensive than your laptop. But it's simply an infrastructure fee, you must feel this as part of your house, and not a part of your PC!

it might be another good option to invest on an UPS as mentioned before... Solar technology has been around for sometime but the overhead cost is just not cutting it enough to compete with other forms of electrical supplies

I don't think sources that utilize solar energy are developed enough to be used for things such as charging a laptop. They might be working very well in experimental conditions and research facilities but for a mass scale use, they don't have that kind of presence and ease of access. So it would be better to invest in something other than solar energy, at least for the time being.UPS is a good investment, but as it is mentioned in another post, why would anyone bother to buy a ups when the laptop's own battery is functional and providing enough backup.

Problem with solar technology is that it will take a day to charge the mobile. Imagine powering the solar battery for the laptop or desktop. I don't know how to harness the solar energy. I am sure there are some research going on that front but from my observation it seems that the sensors are not yet advanced enough to capture the sunlight enough to charge quickly.If you check the amazon.com for the solar battery, i am sure you'll find some good products that can charge mobile or the ipad. But then again they take more time to charge as they are USB based and also are advised to be charged without connecting the instruments. So during the charing process of those solar machines, you can't use your instruments.If you look at these issues and then think about the need if you live in the powercut zone and then calculate the ROI from the UPS. Then your obvious choice is the UPS. Your decision of using the UPS makes more sense compared to using the solar charger. I doubt if there are any people using the solar charger here in asia for the use.

Problem with solar technology is that it will take a day to charge the mobile. Imagine powering the solar battery for the laptop or desktop. I don't know how to harness the solar energy. I am sure there are some research going on that front but from my observation it seems that the sensors are not yet advanced enough to capture the sunlight enough to charge quickly.

The solar device has it's own battery. The battery needs a whole day to be charged, but when you need to charge your laptop the solar battery has already been charged by the yesteday sun exposition. So, you simply have to be sure that the solar cell has sun every day.

The solar device has it's own battery. The battery needs a whole day to be charged, but when you need to charge your laptop the solar battery has already been charged by the yesteday sun exposition. So, you simply have to be sure that the solar cell has sun every day.

normally that's how solar chargers work, except for smaller devices which usually charges directly to its local battery....

I doubt if there are any such batteries out there that can keep the laptop running for 3 or so hours. I mean we can't just get good supply from solar chargers as of now. I know there are some AC batteries out there that can give us some good backup but solar chargers for laptop with high efficiency? not sure. Though I will check for some green sites that are promoting such products.

Amazon doesn't give you much results for the better products in this category. I mean most of the results that were thrown for the laptop based chargers are not much of cheap. Also there are only warranties of 1 year or so. You get that bag which is at cost say 49 bucks or so. Check here for results.

By the way 49 bucks mean 2550 bucks in my country. Not much expensive but not much cheap either. By the way anyone here using the solar charger for the mobile? it would be good to read the personal experience.

You cannot say "this does not work", you should simply say "this is still very expensive".
Here is an exemple of solar generator, http://www.mobilesolarpower.net/ you can today buy commercial solar generators.
Simply, if you need something comfortable, you will need several square meters of captors and a lot of additional materials, inverter, regulator, and of course a huge battery for storing the whole thing. In the near future, we will urgently need this kind of things, when petrol will start being an unreachable resource. And we will have to choose between having a huge solar cell, or stop using my laptop.

I do not meant a new UPS. But a new one will work, yes it is more expensive. Look: this is an extreme situation. If you are use to have power for sure 99.9999% of the time, Oh! sure my proposal is non sense. But if your power is cut anytime for any long, as it have been in Cuba during the 90´s (during the worst years of the Periodo Especial), then this is a valid solution. And it is not a vague idea, I, myself used to have that system and it worked better than any other I tryied after and before.

Also it may be hard to replace or just have an extra laptop battery pack.

This are solutions for the 3rd Word (maybe for the 4th too)!

Kalisto Kilowatt

Read carefully my original post again. I am suggesting to use the UPS at home or just where you spent most time, while you have power. Keep your batteries charged to 80%, as LiIon batteries live longer that way. Take batteries off the laptop where they get hot and keep it cool as that way they live longer. If you foresee a need for portabilitiy just top laptop batteries to 100% charge. But if the power is cut without warning you still have the remaning energy on the UPS, plus the 80% charge on your laptop batteries. I just forget to point out: recharge laptop batteries as soon as power returns!

I am thinking that you work on that laptop, have deadlines to keep, and that your earnings depend on that work, as it was at that time for myself. This is not a suggestion for gamming or Facebook posting or Twiter.

I also have a similar opinion. I personally am in favor of desktop computers because I think they are faster than their laptop couterparts. Furthermore they are easy to upgrade and repair. But I bought myself a laptop because I wanted to make sure that I would be able to work even in the absence of electricity and I could carry my work with me when I travel to distant places. The price at which I bought my laptop, I could have bought a Desktop with a much better hardware configuration plus a nice UPS to be protected against power failures. But then there was the question of portability and it was so important for me that I went for the more expensive and less performing option.

Now if I am to buy a UPS, the portability reason would just die and it would become extremely difficult for me to carry my stuff around when I move around. So I don't think this option is practical for me. Plus I think it is better to use your battery without caring about its life span and when you feel that battery doesn't last enough to let you work, then buy another one instead of buying a UPS. I think both solutions would cost the same.

I do not meant a new UPS. But a new one will work, yes it is more expensive. Look: this is an extreme situation. If you are use to have power for sure 99.9999% of the time, Oh! sure my proposal is non sense. But if your power is cut anytime for any long, as it have been in Cuba during the 90´s (during the worst years of the Periodo Especial), then this is a valid solution. And it is not a vague idea, I, myself used to have that system and it worked better than any other I tryied after and before.

Also it may be hard to replace or just have an extra laptop battery pack.

This are solutions for the 3rd Word (maybe for the 4th too)!

Kalisto Kilowatt

Read carefully my original post again. I am suggesting to use the UPS at home or just where you spent most time, while you have power. Keep your batteries charged to 80%, as LiIon batteries live longer that way. Take batteries off the laptop where they get hot and keep it cool as that way they live longer. If you foresee a need for portabilitiy just top laptop batteries to 100% charge. But if the power is cut without warning you still have the remaning energy on the UPS, plus the 80% charge on your laptop batteries. I just forget to point out: recharge laptop batteries as soon as power returns!

I am thinking that you work on that laptop, have deadlines to keep, and that your earnings depend on that work, as it was at that time for myself. This is not a suggestion for gamming or Facebook posting or Twiter.

man i feel so lucky where i am having not to go through some serious power issues like you... but it seems to me that UPS would probably be your best solution...

I just checked that site for the mobile generators pricing yordan. But none of them have the price and they want clients to call for the pricing. Maybe some marketing gimmick to give some random discount etc. In any case site does show some poweful models for the solar energy panels. I am not sure anyone here tried it out otherwise i could have used it long back.I have seen that most of these models can be easily moved from one to another place. Just not sure if you are not travelling with huge RV then how come it is going to be benficial. I mean if you are travelling via plane then surely you need small solution for the battery. Earlier I posted link to amazon which shows some of the small options for laptop and mobile charging, maybe that could be solution for folks like me.