xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

My Laptop Runs Too Hot All The Time

I have hp dv6 3040us laptop with AMD phenom N830 processor. Before I ever had a computer with AMD cpu, it was known to me that AMDs run a bit hotter than their intel counterparts. But now when I have one, i realize that they acually run a lot hotter. Whenever I check the temperature of my cpu, it is above 60 degrees centigrade. I did some research online and found that this quite hot for a laptop. The normal running temperature should be between 30 and 40 degrees centigrade. When I run some milde games, like Fifa 12, the temperature kicks up to about 80 degrees centigrade and when I run games like dirt2 or Just cause 2, the temperature rises upto 86 degrees celsius. That is very hot and I am startying to worry about how long the lappy is going to sustain this.My research on internet tells me that ordinary running temperature for this particular processor is not that hige. So there is some problem with my laptop or the way I use it. I have a cooling pad and it does help the temperature drop by about 5 degrees but not more than that.What should I do to make sure that my processor doesn't burn?

You don't have to worry too much about the CPU temperature. A CPU can handle 90-110°c without any problems and it shuts itself down automatically at something between 100°c - 120°c. So no matter what happens, your CPU won't burn.
On the other hand, high CPU temperatures do decrease the lifespan of your CPU, but by the time your CPU dies you've probably already bought a new laptop ;) .

Now, I don't know who told you the normal operation temperatures should be between 30°c and 40°c but that is really low for a laptop. My Core i5 is now idleing at 40°c and that CPU is much more efficient than the N830.Even a slight load already makes the temperature increase to 55°c.

Now, if you're realy worried about the temperature then you might want to try RMClock. This tool will allow you to do two things:
1) Alter the CPU clock speed
2) Lower the voltage applied to the CPU depending on the speed it is running at.

By altering the CPU clock speed you can force the CPU to remains at a lower frequency for a longer time (lower frequency == lower voltage == less heat). This will make it more comfortable to use the CPU while surfing and you'll hardly notice the speed impact.
However, this will not reduce the heat produced when playing Fifa 12 because you're CPU will always be running at it's max speed (and thus also it's max voltage and thus it's max heat output). Using RMClock you can also change the voltage which is applied to the CPU depending on the speed it's running at. Now, there is no rule how much you can lower the voltage, this is just trial and error; lower it, test it and if it doesn't crash it's fine.

Now, be aware that changing the CPU voltage and speed (and using RMClock) is at your own risk ;) .

Try to clean up the dust in your laptop with a vacuum cleaner or some blowing device, it usually makes the laptop temperature lower about 2x, you don't need to open your laptop, maybe just the keyboard, depends on the model. Dust is really traps heat very well.

if i were you i'd try opening it up and giving it a good vacuuming and dusting... another factor would be where you usually use you're laptop on, do you use you're lap alot? ensuring you use you're laptop on a clean surface most if not all of the time reduces dust inflow in to the laptop coolings

another factor would be where you usually use you're laptop on

He says that he is using a cooling pad, so he should not have cooling problems. Definitively this looks like an obstruction problem, an the vacuum or dust blowin solution is the right way to go.

The next natural question I would ask you folks is that what is the best method of cleaning and dust blowing a laptop. Should I use a vacuum cleaner or a blower? I have read somewhere that I can use a blower to blow the dust out of my laptop without even opening it. But I am a little hesitant to use this method because the blower I have access to generates a lot of pressure and I am afraid that it can most likely damage my laptop. However, I might be worrying a bit too much but my quesiton is: Is it a good method? What alternatives I have?

I would say that you can't do anything harmful with a vacuum cleaner. So, I would first try with the vacuum cleaner, and see if it changes something in the cooling behaviour.

When I bought my laptop it ran really hot after just a few weeks. These things worked for me:1)Try not to keep it on dusty surface - Dust inside ur pc can burn itself to the components and it will be damaged2)Try not to cover the fan holes under the laptop3)Try to vacuum it or maybe use dust-off to get all the nasty stuff out of it4)Get a cooling pad, my friends laptop works fine after he got one of those.5)Another friend of mine used "SpeedFan" to regulate the speeds of his fans(this was on a desktop computer,tho) and it worked fine.At the moment I'm just trying to not cover all the holes under mine. It usually helps alot. Also if none of the suggestions you find helps, you should try contact the computer manufacturer. The heatsink for the CPU might be broken and doesnt cool off or some other component is not working as it should.Good luck - Laptops running hot isnt fun :(

Edited by hoppsan4 (see edit history)

Just out of curiosity: How long is my laptop going to last if it keeps running this hot (above 60 degrees Celsius) all the time. From what I have read on numerous places online, I can say that I shouldn't expect more than a couple of years at most. What you folks have to say about it:/