xisto Community
manuleka

Using Safari On Windows?

I'm just curious about how many people here uses Safari on Windows? I'm just testing it on my Laptop and i kinda like its elegant look and feel but i'm wondering how you find it's performance (in Windows) compared to the other popular ones like Opera, Firefox, and Chrome

If you are a mac user, you need to use safari when you are away from home and need to use a PC. So you don't care about performances of other browsers, because you never use them. :unsure:

I have installed Safari on Windows, but I don't really use it, I prefer Opera and Chrome over it, Safari for me personally seems to work slower, the gui itself, maybe if I had a mac and would use it frequently on macos then maybe I would use it more on windows too, because I would be used to it :unsure:I only use Safari for testing purposes, but it's results of working is similar to Chrome as they use the same engine? Or they don't anymore? ;) Didn't really read about it, but the last news I know, Chrome is using Webkit which is also used by Safari. ;)

I have installed Safari on Windows, but I don't really use it, I prefer Opera and Chrome over it, Safari for me personally seems to work slower, the gui itself, maybe if I had a mac and would use it frequently on macos then maybe I would use it more on windows too, because I would be used to it :unsure:
I only use Safari for testing purposes, but it's results of working is similar to Chrome as they use the same engine? Or they don't anymore? ;) Didn't really read about it, but the last news I know, Chrome is using Webkit which is also used by Safari. ;)

i agree... slower than the more Win popular Chrome, Firefox and Opera but i like it's elegant look and feel... safari's speed dial page is probably the coolest in comparison to chrome and opera

I haven't used Safari on Windows for years, but I remember it being very slow, not in page rendering necessarily but the GUI was slow, like tabs on IE7. It didn't have extensions back then either (I'm not sure if Safari on Windows has extensions now or not) so it wasn't of any interest to me. Then again, I don't think Chrome was out back then, if it was then it was probably in its Beta stage only.As for the speed dial page, I find Opera's best, Chrome I don't have the speed dial page but rather Applications. I use Chrome as my primary browser and it's definitely the fastest. Opera I launch once in a while to connect to the rare IRC chat room, but otherwise I don't like browsing on it.

I remember years ago Safari for Windows used to use MacOS style on Windows and it was really slow and looked horrible as a Win app, but later they've made it look more attractive for windows users, it got a bit better, but still it's not as fast compared to other browsers, but elegant :unsure:

... but still it's not as fast compared to other browsers, but elegant :unsure:

yes it still isn't as quick as Chrome with page loading and rendering, even the whole applications loading time on start up isn't up to the sick slickness of the mighty Chrome browser or Firefox

makes me wonder how quick Chrome and Firefox is compared to Safari running on Mac ??

If i'm not wrong then chrome and the safari are using the same rendering kit called webkit. So as far as speed is concerned for rendering both should be same. Unless either of them is using any other way to increase the speed. I know that google chrome for one uses google page speed service for their browser users. This is similar to that of opera turbo and is faster like that on the slow speed connections. I don't know if apple safari offers any such service.Somehow their browser and the chrome looks same to me. Only difference is that safari on windows doesn't come up with as many add-ons like firefox or chrome. Both of these other browsers (chrome and safri) are good at browsing and looks but compared to firefox and opera i doubt if they have dedicated add-ons at numbers like firefox. As for looks of the safari, it takes modification of native look. I mean slightly looks like apple os window border but stil takes same buttons and the location of close button for windows app. That aside i have not seen much of the improvements in the look of safari browser. I think that's okay, i dont want much eye candy from browsers. But i guess chrome smoothness and the speed is making many other browser developers change their designs. I am not going to be surprised if firefox changes the look to somewhat like chrome or safari in future.

one thing i find quite cool with Safari is it's speed dial page (empty page)... it's kinda like a 3D view of all speed dial (quick link) pages... like opera and chrome but curved in view