xisto Community
mahesh2k

Slitaz - Smallest Linux Distro

I came across slitaz a few years ago and found it a nifty little distro. I only really got the distro to use aircrack with. I threw it on my acer aspire one (slitaz was originally designed for that netbook) booting it off a flash disk using unetbootin to put it on. It was incredibly handy because I was able to just carry the key around with me and 'test' wireless security around my various friends homes.I couldn't find much use for the previous versions beyond aircrack through as KDE would crash four out of five times when startx'ing it up and it didn't really have any other software worth using on the command line. I thought the crash might have been related to the flash disk, so I tried putting it on cd and still the same problem. After that I installed it off the cd on to a hdd and yet still the KDE server would crash when loading the GUI.What you were saying about the german keyboard layout being default wasn't the case the previous versions, it was US, but you also had 5 seconds on the initial startup to change the keyboard layout as well simply by typing uk, us, de etc. during startup (which was handy because i'm sick of US default OS's lol) but the selection was kind of limited. I think there were only about 10 different keyboard layouts.Downloading the latest version of slitaz now to have a little look. Since they've released a newer version recently hopefully they have sorted the stability issues. I noticed they've updated it with a 2.6 kernel, the older one was only 2.2 so that's a bonus. Also they've included a wider variety of keyboard layouts and expanded the UTF library.Glad to see slitaz is back in development though.

oops... tried installing it to my usb but it wouldn't boot... i think it isn't supported (yet) by the tool i used or it's just not live capable???

Have a look at the wikipedia article mentionned by Quatrux, in order to check the way installing the USB boot (using tazusb or netbootin).