xisto Community

Another thing is that firefox release issues makes it hard for add-on maintainer to update the addon. I mean they updated version from 3 to 4 and now 5 ? i think this is too quick and there are hardly any benefits which are notiable on windows. I don't know if there are operating system tweaks or performance improvements. I have gone through the links about early release but there isn't much in favor of firefox. I mean not in terms of normal users. Many users found it hard to update firefox because of this release cycle. I'm one of from them. I also think that plugin_container.exe issue is not solved at all in this browser. So my opinion is to stick with mix of browsers instead keeping all the add-ons(eggs) or work in one basket. I'm going to use browser in swap way and use it to get better performance.

I like the way Chrome and Internet Explorer 8/9 handles plugins. Yes I do keep a mix of browsers as stated above (at one point a few years ago I had 10 or 11 of them installed). Opera I only use the IRC client at times, I wouldn't even want to try using the browser part of the software.

Chromium was started to correct the issues of plugins and rendering in firefox. I guess they picked webkit for the same reason. I don't know how much change are there from the original chromium browser but google added their own services to chromium. So that makes it more complex browser now still very small footprint compared to firefox or internet explorer. I hate internet explorer and can't stand with it. First thing i do for any clean windows install is to replace internet explorer with either firefox, chrome or opera whichever downloads first or gets to disk. Internet explorer is too buggy for me and i have lots of issues with it while browsing the sites. There is also no ad blocker on internet explorer as far as i know. I may be missing it if there are any available for public download. Also internet exploere if kept default browser eats a lot of resources. I prefer not to use it even though it is simple browser with less complexity. Chrome on the other hand is much better than IE and in some cases firefox. It doesn't eat too much CPU. But i noticed 2-3 services of chrome while running incognito mode. So not sure how much chrome is using memory in comparison to firefox. So default usage seems to be less heavy than standard firefox browser. Add-ons are also good and less resource hungry but are less in variety and major add-ons are missing which you can easily find on firefox. Turbo feature of the opera got me attracted towards it. I found that for slow connection this feature saves a lot of bandwidth and if you read too much on web then opera can save a lot of bandwidth. I think for that i'm going to give credit as there is no parallel sevrice like this in google chrome or firefox.

Just installed portable firefox 10, the beta version. Now the portable version has national language, till now the portable versions only had English Menus and English popups.

firefox portable... what do you use portable firefox on? and why? i'm just curious...

When I am on a friend's computer, I don't want to install things, putting strange things in the Windows Registry. That's why I use the portable version of Firefox.
If my firefox does not work any more, I simply remove the files from the PC and I am back to the previous stage.
If I want to debug, I uncompress the original file and check that evrything is OK again. Then I add my "profile" folder, and see that nothing works again. Which means that the problem is coming from my own local settings.

firefox is now copying chome..1. rapid release cycle2. each tab - new process will be implemented in ff as well3. omnibar will be incorporated4. tab option like close other tabs to the right etc5. sleek looking tabs on top.

aah i see... interesting, do you use you're friends PC a lot?

Today"s funny thing.
My friend could not connect to his gmail mailbox.
I came with my Firefoxportable on my USB stick, and I showed him how to use it.
So he could simply use the Portable Firefox where his PC's Windows Internet Explorer could not work correctly.
So, a fast diagnosis without installing or uninstalling everything.
Then I said :
"You have two solutions :
1) You upgrade your IE version to a more modern one, but you could have problem with your favourite websites which work correctly with IE6 only
2) You work with my portable Firefox version, if you happen to not love it any more, simply remove the folder."

Today"s funny thing.My friend could not connect to his gmail mailbox.
I came with my Firefoxportable on my USB stick, and I showed him how to use it.
So he could simply use the Portable Firefox where his PC's Windows Internet Explorer could not work correctly.
So, a fast diagnosis without installing or uninstalling everything.
Then I said :
"You have two solutions :
1) You upgrade your IE version to a more modern one, but you could have problem with your favourite websites which work correctly with IE6 only
2) You work with my portable Firefox version, if you happen to not love it any more, simply remove the folder."

IE 6? that's ancient, i remember last time i use IE 6 was a couple of years agon on Linux... it was for testing Websites, was known as IE4Linux

You should encourage your friend to Upgrade...

You should encourage your friend to Upgrade...

Of course. However, quite a lot of applications work only with IE6. For professional purposes these people need to stick with IE6.
And, of course, I just wanted to show that the PC and the router are able to reach the modern-stytle websites, and I'm happy that this demonstration was possible without touching the Crosoft install by itself.

Gmail issue with the firefox and other browsers is because of the google and not firefox. Google is forcing users to use gmail. I have noticed that experience of javascript loading is much slower in FF compared to chrome. I can compare that with other browser and see the same result. I guess it is because of the chrome. Not only that it is also taking add-on trouble like FF had. I think there are many bad things going last 2-3 versions of the FF. I can put them one by one.In any case I don't like the rapid release cycle. I mean what is the point of the release if it is slow and buggy. FF has yet to resolve the issue. It is good to see that flash is going out this year but still i would love to see HTML5 progress or else the slowness of the plugins will make ff almost unusable. Another thing is some rapid releases that makes major version changes like 3-5 and 9 are forced. I used to get the dialog box earlier but now a days it is forced upgrade and ff becomes slow in the background to force the upgrade.Not happy with at all. I used Ironbrowser these days along with opera and only issue is with ad tracker and blocker. If i get that in opera or any other browser then I am free to move to another browser.

When I installed Firefox some time ago, can't remember which version, it was strange for me that it had a top left corner icon to open the menu like Opera, as I am not firefox user, but seems that all browsers tries to use the best practices or something like that. :D

They are trying to minimize the menu stuff and the icon for quite some time. I mean i don't like chrome for the same reason. It needs single click to access multiple options and this is very painful. I know that compared to firefox they have a minimal set of features and interface too. But they annoy a lot because they present less options and single page looks more cluttered.As of now Firefox is in process of reaching version 11. I find it hard to maintain their useless release pattern. As I am using linux so ubuntu is saving me from the reelase cycle hell as base browser is firefox and there are hardly any updates for it. Maybe there is manual upgrade option but I am not going for it as of now. Just skipping it so far. I think with ubuntu 12/04 maybe i have to upgrade at the end of the day anyway.They have new version and lot of changes like HTML5 changes in new browser. Their javascript and html5 test console is good. It makes me want to use it on old version too but can't use it. Javascript support for the mozzila's product is quite good. I wonder why they're behind javascript compared to any other web based languages. Anyway looking forward to their apps service and mobile phone os with browser built in, on that point i'll open thread in future.