xisto Community
Eggie

Connecting 2 Pc's With Usb

I'm not sure what security concerns are raised about this? If you could suggest something that makes this type of connection insecure then do so and I might be able to elaborate more on it, but for me, this is just the normal security concerns that you'd face with any network.This type of connection is just a p2p (peer to peer) network connection and is no safer or secure as serial, parallel or ethernet crossover connection from 2 local connected computers.The type of usb cable needed has a small bridge circuit/chip in the middle, which means no ordinary USB A to A cable would work as you need the bridge circuit to handle communications between the two PCs as well as preventing it from burning your USB ports, as the ports send voltage through it. I think it's just called a USB bridged cable or you could just say USB networking cable, hopefully most would understand that. Should also mention that if it's USB2.0 for both PCs and the bridged cable, then you could expect 480Mbps, however price wise, it's probably cheaper to buy 2x 1Gbps network cards if you don't have them already and a CAT6 crossover network cable. It's also probably the more flexible option if your network expands.So to answer all your questions, it's as safe as you can make your PCs out to be in any network environment and it's possible with the correct USB bridged cable.Cheers,MC

I don’t know if getting two Ethernet cards and a cable would be cheaper than a bridged USB cable but I get the feeling it might be close. The ones that I saw were bundled in a package called a Windows XP or Windows Vista Transfer Kit. I had to do a double take because they wanted around $30 for the whole package. I believe Ethernet would be a better long term investment but if you know you are only going to do this once then USB might be OK.A second option might be to get two regular Ethernet cables and a networking hub. Most computers that have been manufactured within the past 5 years usually have the Ethernet card built in. Create a small network and then you will have a permanent communication channel between the two computers. If you want to add a third, fourth. or fifth computer to the mix, all you have to do is buy more Ethernet cables.

It's as safe (or unsafe) as a regular network connection because it's exactly the same as a regular ethernet connection, but instead of using a CAT5 cable you use a USB cable. It however works in a different ip address subset than your normal internet connection thus the (ip over usb) connection is completely seperated from your normal internet connection.

well...the reason for this question was because i was wondering if it was possible with as u said A to A usb cable....so...i need bridge cable...well...that is what i expected...nothing is as easy as it looks :Dthanks..Eggie

i think its better to use ethernet connection as it is much more safer to use than that of a bridged usb connection and ethernet card is coming inbuilt with your computer and easy to install so just go for the ethernet connection

How secure really is connecting 2 pc's via USB?i heard that was possible but not safe...
Someone tell me can this even work??

Of course, if all you want is simply to connect two PC's, instead of a USB cable you can simply use an Ethernet cable.
Use a scart Ethernet cable, connect one end at each PC's ethernet port, and give a private ID fixed address to each PC (192.168.1.11 to the first PC and 192.168.1.12 to the second one for instance). Then both PC's will be connected and will be able to share files.