xisto Community
takerraj

Are These Spam?

I have a wordpress blog and I receive some suspicious comments. I said suspicious because, the people enter their site as chinese site and email address belong to Russia i.e. gmail.ru. Is it possible for people from china to use russian email ID and vice versa. There are around 10 to 15 such comments. Will linking to those sites through comments make google ban me?

First of all, I guess that it's possible to obtain an e-mail address in Russia without leaving in Russia. When I was in the United states I continued using my mail in something.fr without problem.Secondly, there are a lot of ways for sending mails which seem to come from another e-mail address, even a fake address. So, unless being a network expert, it's not easy to know if a mail is really sent by the guy whose name is shown as sender name.And, of course, if you have stupid things in your blog, you should remove them, because people like me will not want to come back to your blog, and neither will be the robot ranking your site.

And, of course, if you have stupid things in your blog, you should remove them, because people like me will not want to come back to your blog, and neither will be the robot ranking your site.

The only stupid things on my blog are the sites of people who comment. During commenting they have to fill up the following
1. Name
2. Their blog address (Optional)
3. email
4. Comment.

I suspect that the blog address they give are suspicious. This is the area of concern. If those sites are malicious then will I be affected by it?

The first thing comes to my mind is that did you make you blog as dofollow attribute, right? If you leave your blog as nofollow attribute. I am afraid that the comments would not get some PR juice passed from your page so that the spamming comments would reduce a lot. And you can delete them all if you smell something fishy there and, of course, you check the content of the web linked first. Google do penalize the blog if you link out those they think as bad neighbors. As for they enter the site as Chinese site and email address belong to Russia i.e. gmail.ru. I do not think it would be a problem. We can easily obtain it by this free email server. So the key is that you'd better check their content. If their content is legal, there's nothing worry about it. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

How about installing akismet? It will automatically put junk comments inside spam folder so they won't be shown in your site :o

The first thing comes to my mind is that did you make you blog as dofollow attribute, right? If you leave your blog as nofollow attribute. I am afraid that the comments would not get some PR juice passed from your page so that the spamming comments would reduce a lot.
And you can delete them all if you smell something fishy there and, of course, you check the content of the web linked first. Google do penalize the blog if you link out those they think as bad neighbors.

As for they enter the site as Chinese site and email address belong to Russia i.e. gmail.ru. I do not think it would be a problem. We can easily obtain it by this free email server. So the key is that you'd better check their content. If their content is legal, there's nothing worry about it.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Recently I have converted all my dofollow attribute to nofollow attribute by using Nofollow reciprocity plugin. Till now I didn't understand what are these dofollow and nofollow attributes. Can somebody tell me what they are and what they do?

You could implement a CAPTCHA verification image in the comment form if you want to prevent those who spam using bots to fill in the fields and submit the spam comment. However, if it human spam, you might want to try blocking certain IP addresses from posting comments.The best way is to activate the Wordpress plugin Akismet which would screen out spam comments that have already been submitted to their spam database.

Google is not going to ban you for that and I don´t think this people be hackers or something because wordpress is a serious enterprise and they are protected from menaces like hackers. But I have to make you a question: What is the propossite of your blog? It is not a blog of warez or hakers of pheakers right? Because if your blog is dedicated to these things you maybe have these visitors because Russia and China are the main hackers countries.Your linking is not going to be alterated. But you maybe have to implement the CAPTCHA like Atomic0 says.I can suggest you that if your blog is a big one you maybe want to contract the services of BlockDos.net or McAffe Secure Internet but these services are very expensive but if your blog makes real money with Adsense you will have not any problem.Well these are my suggestions, althought you can contact to Wordpress.com to get help too.I hope my tips help you.Regards.

Well, I've tried using Captcha! It didn't worked. I forget it's name, I think it is something like this : Peter's custom antispam or something like that. It didn't worked. Can anyone suggest a good captcha plugin for Wordpress 2.8. Thank you!

But I have to make you a question: What is the propossite of your blog? It is not a blog of warez or hakers of pheakers right? Because if your blog is dedicated to these things you maybe have these visitors because Russia and China are the main hackers countries.

No no no.... I don't entertain such things. My blog is related to everyday computer problems and their workarounds. That's it. I hate warez whatsoever.