xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

The Great Processor Debate Its amazing no one did this...

The Great Processor Debate  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By the way, if you are comparing current processors, shouldn't you look at the i7 istead of the i5?

the i7 would be way better in performance but cost a hell lot more... when looking at the Bull Dozer AMD cpu like the FX-8120, its a great buy and even setting it up with a motherboard would be cheaper than an intel i5 + mainboard but ofcourse that is if you already have an 800+ watt PSU because once you start overclocking it, its power consumption skyrockets. Also note that the BD cpu is already sitting on a 125W TDP stock...

If i was to built a PC that i would play games on, i would go for an intel setup... for a light tasking PC (web surfing and word processing) i would go with a cheaper AMD setup

By the way, if you are comparing current processors, shouldn't you look at the i7 istead of the i5?

I was comparing via price point, you can't get a i7 for anywhere near the same price.

Also, the gentleman I built the system for put it up against his friend intel i7 based system (which cost almost 2.5x as much to build) and it kept up with it in gaming and video/audio editing. I didn't build the i7 system but I'm happy with what the AMD did, and it wasn't even overclocked. I remember having a similar debate when the Barton core AMD's were on the market.

I was comparing via price point, you can't get a i7 for anywhere near the same price.
Also, the gentleman I built the system for put it up against his friend intel i7 based system (which cost almost 2.5x as much to build) and it kept up with it in gaming and video/audio editing. I didn't build the i7 system but I'm happy with what the AMD did, and it wasn't even overclocked. I remember having a similar debate when the Barton core AMD's were on the market.

Yip AMD competed with their pricings... i have an intel system running on a G620... i can't afford an i5 or i7 at the moment, i would probably upgrade to an i3 ($180~$200 NZD)

well now , the awesome chips are coming so cheap, i mean to say the technology is changing so price is falling.I usued to think when i get a p3 machine for 23000-30000 with little memory and lottle hdd, but now the price falls and in about 20-30 ,000 i will get 3gen intel .amd pc.its now a grate time for electronic goods.Well i must say my personal favorite is amd it performance is better then intel and also slight cheap from intel.

... Well i must say my personal favorite is amd it performance is better then intel and also slight cheap from intel.

ok so which AMD cpu are you referring to? because at the moment the 3rd gen i7 will out perform the latest offering from AMD

ok so which AMD cpu are you referring to? because at the moment the 3rd gen i7 will out perform the latest offering from AMD

I agree, if I had a lot of money, a 8-cpu i7 would be my better choice, with at least 16 gigs memory.

I agree, if I had a lot of money, a 8-cpu i7 would be my better choice, with at least 16 gigs memory.

hehe i think all of us would love to have that too plus a couple or so of 250GB SSD

hehe i think all of us would love to have that too plus a couple or so of 250GB SSD

Not sure I will buy SSD disks. I think these disks are read-most, and on my computer I often add-modify-delete files.

Not sure I will buy SSD disks. I think these disks are read-most, and on my computer I often add-modify-delete files.

don't quite get what you mean by read-most, are you referring to gaming and stuff like that? I think at least an SSD for the System partitions... faster loading time i guess...

they still are quite pricey though

don't quite get what you mean by read-most, are you referring to gaming and stuff like that? I think at least an SSD for the System partitions... faster loading time i guess...
they still are quite pricey though

That's the main problem. The SSD disks have bad lifetime data, they are dead after about 10000 write/erase cycles. This means that they should not be used as system disk, because a system disk constantly writes/removes logfiles and other data.

That's the main problem. The SSD disks have bad lifetime data, they are dead after about 10000 write/erase cycles. This means that they should not be used as system disk, because a system disk constantly writes/removes logfiles and other data.

so what's the average lifetime of an SSD? i have a lot of friends who uses SSD and they seem to last ok, well i haven't heard any of them saying that they have issues with their drives so far... all they say is the performance boost is quite noticeable compared to the plater drives

so what's the average lifetime of an SSD? i have a lot of friends who uses SSD and they seem to last ok, well i haven't heard any of them saying that they have issues with their drives so far... all they say is the performance boost is quite noticeable compared to the plater drives

What do you mean by "they seem to last OK" ? A standard magnetic disk last several years, sometimes about ten years. I'm not sure that an intensively write/erase SSD disk will last ten years, I expect that the usable stoarage will shrink to almost nothing after less than three years.
Hower, this is only a bet towards future, let's see how your friend's disks will behave during the next few years.

What do you mean by "they seem to last OK" ? A standard magnetic disk last several years, sometimes about ten years. I'm not sure that an intensively write/erase SSD disk will last ten years, I expect that the usable stoarage will shrink to almost nothing after less than three years.Hower, this is only a bet towards future, let's see how your friend's disks will behave during the next few years.

mechanical hard drives are usually advertised with less lifespan (~ 500,000 hours) than ssd (~ 2,000,000 hours), one of my friends bought an intel SLC SSD couple of years ago and he said the trick to keep the drive last longer is to make sure it doesn't go pass the ~55% usage mark...

mind you this is being used on a Home PC... i wouldn't think SSD would be ideal for a server/swap usage

but as more people start using SSD, the technology will only improve and get more robust...

If i had the extra $$$ i would invest in an SSD to boost my PC performance - most of my friends run this setup (SSD for system and HDD for data) and the performance boost is just amazing

I recently bought a new laptop with the following specs:Model: Dell Inspiron 7520Processor : 3rd Generation Intel® Core i7-3612QM Processor 2.10 GHzRAM: 8 Gigs DDR3Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7730M DDR3 2GBHard drive: 1 TB @ 5400 rpm....As you can see the system is pretty good and I am happy with the performance. But I was wondering, how much performance boost I can get if I replace the hard drive with a SSD. Or as @manuleka mentioned, use ssd as a system drive and the rotating disk hard drive for storage. Will the performance boost be reasonable and worth the price?I have one additional question.Will the performance boost seen by a system with faster processor and more ram (after shifting to a SSD from a typical hard drive) be equal to the performance boost seen by a system with slower processor and lesser ram.Let me quantify the situation... will the perofrmance boost seen by a system with 3rd generation core i7 quad core processor and 8 Gigs of ram be equal to the performance boost seen by a system with 2nd generation core i3 processor with 4 GB of ram.?

I recently bought a new laptop with the following specs:
Model: Dell Inspiron 7520
Processor : 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor 2.10 GHz
RAM: 8 Gigs DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M DDR3 2GB
Hard drive: 1 TB @ 5400 rpm

As you can see the system is pretty good and I am happy with the performance. But I was wondering, how much performance boost I can get if I replace the hard drive with a SSD. Or as @manuleka mentioned, use ssd as a system drive and the rotating disk hard drive for storage. Will the performance boost be reasonable and worth the price?

I have one additional question.

Will the performance boost seen by a system with faster processor and more ram (after shifting to a SSD from a typical hard drive) be equal to the performance boost seen by a system with slower processor and lesser ram.

Let me quantify the situation... will the perofrmance boost seen by a system with 3rd generation core i7 quad core processor and 8 Gigs of ram be equal to the performance boost seen by a system with 2nd generation core i3 processor with 4 GB of ram.?

wow nice laptop :)

performance boost worth the price? well there's a saying my friends use - once you go ssd there's no turning back, from my limited experience using my mates SSD systemed PC, Windows boots up a lot faster, application load times a hell lot quicker...

It all comes down to preference really, at the current price of SSD i would give it another year or so before i really consider getting one

In your case - i think an SSD would still be a boost but i can't really say as my friends PC runs on i3 which is slower than your laptop CPU... a bit of googling mite help out