xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

The Great Processor Debate Its amazing no one did this...

The Great Processor Debate  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mechanical hard drives are usually advertised with less lifespan (~ 500,000 hours) than ssd (~ 2,000,000 hours), one of my friends bought an intel SLC SSD couple of years ago and he said the trick to keep the drive last longer is to make sure it doesn't go pass the ~55% usage mark...

The 500 000 hours have to be compared to the 10 000 read/write lifetime of the SSD disk.
So, the SSD disk will not die because of mechanical failure, it will die bye loss of read/write ability, 10000 times is nothing compared by the standard current disk which performe about 100 read/write operations per second.

The 500 000 hours have to be compared to the 10 000 read/write lifetime of the SSD disk.So, the SSD disk will not die because of mechanical failure, it will die bye loss of read/write ability, 10000 times is nothing compared by the standard current disk which performe about 100 read/write operations per second.

you make it sound like SSD are quite bad... i have read a few threads about user feed backs on SSD so far and they seem to be quite happy with its performance and reliability so far - though its still early because SSD in the market hasn't matured enough to fully analyze its reliability in a real world scene

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssds-are-fast-but-do-they-last/

And we are familiar with using our current hard drives during five to ten years. Let's see if SSD users will be able to use their drives during ten years, with the full capacity available.

Seeing as how the tech behind SSD is quite similar to thumb drives I have to say that I have a 1 gig thumb drive that I have had for MANY years and have used it a lot. I've transfered info to and from it more times then I can count, and then used it as the swap file when I got my first XP machine, and now I use it for my aging laptop with Win7 on it as a system boost drive. It's lasted for years with no failure, however I've had othe drives that quit working 6 months after I get them. In the end, as with old platter drives, it comes down to luck of the draw and manufacturers quality assurance. Given time, if there are problems with the tech, it will get worked out and they will get more reliable. As for the drives being reliable and trust worthy, there are companies that use SSD tech as their main drive system. As an example CCP, the company that makes and manages the EVE Online MMORPG game uses SSD server drives in the server cluster for their game. I seriously doubt that they would rely on the tech for their server clusters if it wasn't reliable and had low failure rates.

And we are familiar with using our current hard drives during five to ten years. Let's see if SSD users will be able to use their drives during ten years, with the full capacity available.

at the moment i think 10 years would be pushing it but hopefully in a couple or so of years from now better and more robust SSDs will be available to migrate our data to

mind you the idea of system on SSD means that Data are still being stored on HDD which means if SSD dies out Data most probably will not be lost

Seeing as how the tech behind SSD is quite similar to thumb drives I have to say that I have a 1 gig thumb drive that I have had for MANY years and have used it a lot. I've transfered info to and from it more times then I can count, and then used it as the swap file when I got my first XP machine, and now I use it for my aging laptop with Win7 on it as a system boost drive. It's lasted for years with no failure, however I've had othe drives that quit working 6 months after I get them. In the end, as with old platter drives, it comes down to luck of the draw and manufacturers quality assurance. Given time, if there are problems with the tech, it will get worked out and they will get more reliable. As for the drives being reliable and trust worthy, there are companies that use SSD tech as their main drive system. As an example CCP, the company that makes and manages the EVE Online MMORPG game uses SSD server drives in the server cluster for their game. I seriously doubt that they would rely on the tech for their server clusters if it wasn't reliable and had low failure rates.

this is exactly why i do consider shifting to SSD (if it wasn't for the high price obstacle)... i've had a 4GB flash (not known brand, i got it cheap) for like 5 years now and have been using it almost every day and its still going hard :)

Ok its have been about an year since we had this discussion @manuleka, @yordan, @OTHER PEOPLE,. What do you people think now about it. How has the SSD technology grown within an year (almost an year :P)

I quickly went through the posts and it reminded me that there were two main things that we discussed about SSDs. The First thing was that SSDs have a short life span as compared to Disk Drives. Plus their storage capacity decreases over time as they are used more and more. I would really like to know how much improvement has been made in this category. I mean are the SSDs more stable now?

The second main point of our discussion was the price factor. As per our discussion, it was the main reason why many people would stick to their Hard Drives and not shift to the SSDs, So how much change have we seen in the prices of SSDs during this period.

So what you are saying @yordan is that you can't use SAS drives on normal laptops or desktops.... Is this right ???

probably require SAS controller for the drives to be usable on PC, i wonder if some motherboards for standard PC has these

probably require SAS controller for the drives to be usable on PC, i wonder if some motherboards for standard PC has these

Nope, SAS disks are standard for high-end servers, not yet on family workstations.

So, if you want to have an ide of the scale

- IDE disks

- SATA

- SCSI disks

- SAS disks

- fiberchannel disks

Of course, you need to purchase a fiberchannel adapter in order to use fiberchannel disk cabinets! :D

Great explanation @yordan...

My next question would be:

Suppose I want to use a SAS disk on my current laptop, which doesn't appear to have the "whatever" that is required by a SAS disk. So is this possible that I add this "whatever" to my laptop so that computer becomes compatible with SAS disks.

Or this is some kind of built in feature, which would employ that I would have to buy a new mother board (or possibly a new computer) that is made compatible with the SAS disks during manufacture.

I hope you get what I mean..... :/

Suppose I want to use a SAS disk on my current laptop, which doesn't appear to have the "whatever" that is required by a SAS disk. So is this possible that I add this "whatever" to my laptop so that computer becomes compatible with SAS disks.

No real problem, have a look at the results of "SAS adapter for PC" at google.

The only problem will probably remain the price : such disk adapters cost about 180$, which is rather expensive for personal use :D