xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

The Great Processor Debate Its amazing no one did this...

The Great Processor Debate  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Huh ? Your comparison is not completely honest. You are comparing the most modern smartphone, with a previous generation PC.Now the current PC's you buy in a supermarket have 4 ou 8 cpu's, and at least 4 gigs memory and 1 Terabyte disk.

Huh ? Your comparison is not completely honest. You are comparing the most modern smartphone, with a previous generation PC.Now the current PC's you buy in a supermarket have 4 ou 8 cpu's, and at least 4 gigs memory and 1 Terabyte disk.

your right... just wanted to point out how quickly mobile devices are getting more powerful...

I have used both intel and AMD CPUs. The current cpu I have now is an AMD X64. I must say here that so far, I am really impressed with AMD CPUs. Before buying this one, I was really reluctant about AMD. I had read a lot of reviews about AMD before I bought this one (which is my first AMD CPU). The major problem that kept me at a significant distance from AMD was excessive heat production. Intel CPUs are much more efficient in terms of heat production, as compared to the AMD cpus. Not only was it evident in the reviews all over the internet, but I witnessed it myself when I bought my first AMD CPU. It produced much more heat as compared to a similar intel CPU. This thing concerned me because the region I live in has a harsh summer. Temperatures are at the level of 50 degrees celsius in summer, which lasts about 6 months. So buying a CPU wihich produces excessive heat and has a potential to break down in the long summer was the last option for me.But the price of the AMD CPUs is unbeatable. You can not even thing of buying a comparabel intel CPU in the same price range. But I must say that I am very happy now with my AMD cpu. It does produce a lot of heat and runs at significantly higher temperatures than intel cpu, but the main point is that it can tolerate higher temperatures better than intel CPUs. I can say this because my current AMD cpu runs fluently on 85+ degrees celsius while the previous intel CPU alwas looked like it would just die when I crossed 80 degrees. And as far as my CPU keeps working, I don't have any concern with temperature.I have not yet seen the hottest summer with my current AMD cpu and I will be able to judge it better after I use it at temperatures above 50 degrees. If it keeps running at the same level of fluency at those high temperatures, I think I would say goodbye permenantly to intel CPUs at these are much expensive.

i remember when AMD first released their AMD 64 CPUs... they were pretty good and out-performed Intels' (back then) highly clocked CPUs, AMDs 2 GHz CPUs beat Intel's 3GHz... now Intel is pretty much dominating the performance side, so AMD relies on their cheap pricing system

I think the best thing for intel CPUs is that they are much more efficient than AMD. And this efficiency translates into a lot of things such as less heat generation, greater runing times on battery for laptops, and faster performance. No one can deny that intel are more efficient than AMD but what AMD has done brilliant is that they have reduced the performance and efficiency gap to such a low that you won't even notice it when doing normal stuff. Considering that, the significantly lower prices of amd cpus are unbueatable.

i remember back when i use to have a machine that runs an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred ... it was clocked at 1.8GHz but capable of keeping up with higher clocked P4 at 2GHz... the only problem i came across was when i try to swap heatsinks/fans... because the die didn't have extra covering like pentium4s

I've used both Intel and AMD chips since the first 386 based desktop I had, it was AMD. Since then I've used both AMD and Intel, and have suggested both to clients I've had over the years based on what they were planning on using their computer(s) for and their price range. I personally go with AMD when building computers for my personal use, I just find that I get more "bang" for my buck with them. Yes they run hotter, however, from my personal experience, they just perform better and last longer.

I've used both Intel and AMD chips since the first 386 based desktop I had, it was AMD. Since then I've used both AMD and Intel, and have suggested both to clients I've had over the years based on what they were planning on using their computer(s) for and their price range. I personally go with AMD when building computers for my personal use, I just find that I get more "bang" for my buck with them. Yes they run hotter, however, from my personal experience, they just perform better and last longer.

i have been an AMD fan years back... when they released their initial AMD64 cpus that whooped much higher clocked Intel Pentium 4s, now i'm using intel because they run cooler and uses less power but also performs much better than AMDs...
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

i have been an AMD fan years back... when they released their initial AMD64 cpus that whooped much higher clocked Intel Pentium 4s, now i'm using intel because they run cooler and uses less power but also performs much better than AMDs...

Give them time, it's always been like that. Intel and AMD switch back and forth. Heck I just helped a client with a new computer and he ended up with an AMD system, and I wish I could have had it for myself...lol. It has 6 cores and a top end ATI video card, the thing smokes through anything. Just give AMD a bit of time and they'll be smoking Intel again.

Give them time, it's always been like that. Intel and AMD switch back and forth. Heck I just helped a client with a new computer and he ended up with an AMD system, and I wish I could have had it for myself...lol. It has 6 cores and a top end ATI video card, the thing smokes through anything. Just give AMD a bit of time and they'll be smoking Intel again.

I doubt it...

I doubt it...

Why do you doubt it? I see no reason that AMD can't come back and have processors that out perform Intel again. I'm not refering to AMD having a larger market share than Intel, just processors that out perform Intels. They did it before and I have no doubt that they can do it again.

Why do you doubt it? I see no reason that AMD can't come back and have processors that out perform Intel again. I'm not refering to AMD having a larger market share than Intel, just processors that out perform Intels. They did it before and I have no doubt that they can do it again.

there's quite a big gap in performance difference in the two architectures... although AMD is competing with price, in my view performance per price intel still does better... especially in the lower to mid-range desktop cpus

Well I hate to disagree with you yet again, but... If you compare price and performance of AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor and Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor i'm sure you will see that price wise this this the closest you can get for AMD vs. Intel. Yes the Intel offering has a higher clock rating and a lower power usage rating, however the AMD offering is Unlocked, and twice as many cores. If you go to the closest Intel equivialnt the price is almost twice that of the AMD and the performance is still a bit less than the AMD offering.

looking at those 2 models... that FX-8120 stands no chance at all against the i5 unless overclocked... you also have to consider that the i5 runs on about half the power consumption of the FX... i like AMD products and cpus, at the moment i'd prefer an intel CPU