xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Hdd Causing Cpu Overheating

It could be a factor. The room I am currently in, is a total mess and its not equiped with an AC. But, its the onset of winter and temperature's expected to drop by 5-8 degrees in the coming weeks.

I had this problem during the nicely hot summer in Paris. I had to open my computer box, and then I put my living-room fan (the big thing which is 30 centimeters in diameter) in front of my PC and then I had no problem.

I've also heard that hardly any softwares of today can utilize the full power of Intel Core 2 Duos; and as such, going for a quad core would be a waste.

That's partly true. A single current software cannot use the full power of a duo. However, if you open your Mozilla window for writing down your webmail while you are downloading in a second window, this will use the two cpu's of a Core 2 duo.And if you happen to read my next tutorial concerning Oracle RAC self-training (this tuto is in my head and will slowly go down until my fingers on the keyboard) you will use the 4 cpu's of your Core 2 quad.
Simply remember, a current single application cannot use several cpu's. However, Oracle is able using several cpu's without problems. And, in real life, a standard geek does several things at the same time (writing down on a keyboard inside one window, compiling inside another window, compressing a movie in the third window, running a batch shrinking his holidays pictures to 640*800 in the third window), each action being able to overload a single cpu. So, yes, a program cannot overload a cpu, but the tens of running windows on my own computer are able to. Mainly, I will need an extra cpu for the virus analysis, a second one for ad-aware and spybot, and the third one will defrag my C: disk :rolleyes:

I have never heard of the HDD causing a CPU to overheat, unless it's just the heat from the HDD itself...But they usually don't emit too much as long as you do have cooling in your system.One thing to look into could be the power. If you are pushing too much power because of the new HDD then your fan may not be working properly, and that may be the issue.Not really sure about that but it's worth a try. Never pass up the 'simple' solutions, you'd be amazed at how often they're the culprit.

I have never heard of the HDD causing a CPU to overheat, unless it's just the heat from the HDD itself...But they usually don't emit too much as long as you do have cooling in your system.
One thing to look into could be the power. If you are pushing too much power because of the new HDD then your fan may not be working properly, and that may be the issue.

Not really sure about that but it's worth a try. Never pass up the 'simple' solutions, you'd be amazed at how often they're the culprit.

You'd realy have to pull a lot of power to drop the fan voltage from 12V to below 7V ... basicaly, if this happens your whole system gets undervolted and nothing will work.

It could be a factor. The room I am currently in, is a total mess and its not equiped with an AC. But, its the onset of winter and temperature's expected to drop by 5-8 degrees in the coming weeks.Thanks.
Mine barely goes below 55 °C when its low on usage. I think I'll stick to this for the time being considering that it has been able to surive 20+ hrs of daily onslaught for 3 years now.

I saw your machine. It appeared very pretty with that, LED heatsink, was it? I doubt those are available over here. I'll probably have to order those. Also, it was very clean & shiny (must tell you mine didn't look so even on the first day). I am curious to know if the current generation of AMD processors can beat/match the Intel dual core CPUs in performance. They are known to produce less heat and consume less power, aren't they? I've also heard that hardly any softwares of today can utilize the full power of Intel Core 2 Duos; and as such, going for a quad core would be a waste.

lol, ya, I actually never knew it lit up when I bought it until I turned it on. I was like whoa, what? Ohhh, glowy and shiny xD... anyways, any type of copper based aftermarket fan would be nice enough for your CPU. It doesn't have to glow to be great ya know, it was just a perk for me =P.

As for AMD, ya, AMD does lag a bit, but I haven't had an obstacle where the Intel Core 2 Duo really outshines my CPU. Right now my system is roaring just as fast as my cousin with an Intel Core 2 Quad. Obviously, his machine will beat me when it comes to handling more threads due to the extra cores (and the fact he has a much better graphics card than I do) but for "regular day-to-day" application performance, there's negligible performance difference.

I'm waiting for my local computer store to get some AMD Phenom stock so I can get a hold of one, their stock has been dried for weeks >.<"

xboxrulz