xisto Community
liveblue

I Want To Get Linux, Which One Is Best?

Seems pretty awesome.... But as I have mentioned in one of my other topics, if there is one single thing that I am dying to have on a linux machine is support for new games...... I hope some day developers would take this into serious consideration and we can have a serious competitor to windows that can be used by everyone.

Seems pretty awesome.... But as I have mentioned in one of my other topics, if there is one single thing that I am dying to have on a linux machine is support for new games...... I hope some day developers would take this into serious consideration and we can have a serious competitor to windows that can be used by everyone.

steam on linux is on beta stage at the moment... Linux Gaming's future looks bright :)

http://gamingillustrated.com/linux-and-steam-what-does-it-mean-for-gamers/

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

I hope so...

However, one thing should remaine obvious. Linux operating system has a free version. Linux version of commercial games will exist as a commercial version. Linux games have no reason to be free, else game creators will get no salary and will stick to Windows games :)

However, one thing should remaine obvious. Linux operating system has a free version. Linux version of commercial games will exist as a commercial version. Linux games have no reason to be free, else game creators will get no salary and will stick to Windows games :)

yip i think the pricings is just the same as in Windows... but one can always go with the humblebundle game deals

because valve's steam is making a move, hopefully it will encourage other devs to port to Linux as well

To add to that.... Game creators will also have to think about the linux user-base before putting their efforts into developing linux versions of the games. If they don't think that they would be able to sell enough copies of the linux version (i.e there aren't enough linux gamers) to make profits, they simply won't try it. So in addition to other important factors, the user-base who wants to play games on linux is also important.

I feel rather curious toward this point today.

Are you convinced by Linux today? Which Linux flavor have you tested?

I see most of common private people still use Microsoft Windows on their PC.

For budiness, RedHat seems mostlyprefeed.

Mandriva did not give new versions since long ago.

As for a free Linux, I'm rather fan of CentOS, and you? The last one I played with was the 7.0

I run Linux Mint because it worked out of the install for my laptop although I'm still a fan of Fedora and have run many other distributions, it all came down to which one installed without a hitch. I just find that it's not about flavour anymore but more about being able to do what you need to do with less configuring. I just find myself not having the time to set my systems up how I would normally do it.

There's only subtle differences in the major Linux distributions. For those in a rush, Linux Mint would be a good place to start. On older machines, you would be better finding distributions specifically tailored for you and there's many options here too. Pick many to trial, you don't have to settle on your first choice.

Cheers,

MC

Pick many to trial, you don't have to settle on your first choice.

Most of the today's distros have a LiveCD, this is a very nice way to test a Linux flavor. Boot of the LiveCD, if you can't connect do an Internet search or you can't open a document, this means that this distro is not suited for your hardware.

If booting off the DVD you get a nice display and a fluent surf and text processing, then, this distro is for you, install it on your hard drive!

I feel rather curious toward this point today.

Are you convinced by Linux today? Which Linux flavor have you tested?

I see most of common private people still use Microsoft Windows on their PC.

For budiness, RedHat seems mostlyprefeed.

Mandriva did not give new versions since long ago.

As for a free Linux, I'm rather fan of CentOS, and you? The last one I played with was the 7.0

Convinced by ? I even can't imagine a server with any OS rather than linux, it would be waste of resources !

Debian and CentOS are the most used linux distros by me. Both good for different purposes. For daily usage like internet surfing and watching movie i use Android :D but for gaming still use Microsoft Windows. Also with help of office 360 i just think that there is not any usage for windows remained other than gaming which means if I get a console i will probably delete windows from my laptop.

I'm  a fan of centos, it brings the highest stability I have ever seen in free linux also it is always good to know with just some simple steps you can switch to enterprise support of RedHat. I should say that linux desktop environments are just not as good as windows yet. Currently I think the best one is KDE, but it is still not as users friendly as windows and mac but fortunately it can be hgihly customized.

Anyway microsoft windows will remain popular and may even get more popular because it is just a better start for anyone who don't even know how to turn on a computer. With so many different linux distros out there, there is only a little guid available for each problem you face in them and also there are so many problems you face and you don't even find anything about them in internet. But windows is not like that.

Fedora is a community-driven distribution supported by Red Hat. It focuses on using cutting-edge technologies and serves as a testing ground for new features. It's suitable for users who prefer the latest software updates.

Arch Linux 

Arch Linux is a Linux distribution that is known for its customizability and its rolling release model. It is a good choice for users who want to have complete control over their Linux system. Arch Linux is also a good choice for users who are interested in learning about how Linux works.