xisto Community
toby

How Can I Get From Iso To Usb, Without Writing A Cd?

I've been looking through all the usb distributions. Most of them need you to burn a CD, then copy the files, which I can't do. Is there some way of skipping this, some virtual disc or iso unzip tool?

why not just download daemon tools or magic ISO.

I am not really sure if magic ISO is free, but I know that daemon tools is free.
here is the Download link: Daemon Tools

Edit: BTW. magic Iso can be used both as an unzip tool, and as a virtual drive. but after some research, I found out that it isn't free.

Regards //Feelay

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

Which OS are you running? On Linux the mount -o loop option allows you to browse an ISO like a folder.

mkdir filesgohere mount -o loop someimage.iso filesgohere
Don't forget to unmount the new "filesgohere" directory when you have finished browsing the ISO.

In linux, if your pc supports booting from USB, you can dd the image to the USB drive (and IIRC there is a dd program for Windows but I do not know if you can dd a file to a USB drive)

dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/<USB Drive>

There is another method that most people say use which is installing syslinux on the USB drive, I have never been able to get this to work.

But to get you sstarted with the syslinux method:
First extract the ISO, this can be done with, as stated above, WinRAR or mounting to a loopback drive in *nix.
then you can pretty much follow this guide http://knoppix.net/wiki3/index.php?title=Bootable_USB_Key

Use 7-zip How Can I Get From Iso To Usb, Without Writing A Cd?

The 7-zip archive tool can read ISO files.

-reply by M. Rubin

I've been looking through all the usb distributions. Most of them need you to burn a CD, then copy the files, which I can't do. Is there some way of skipping this, some virtual disc or iso unzip tool?

there are many tools available like already mentioned deamon tools lite which is free and available at filehippo.com
and you will also find a section of tools for writing onto a dvd or cd which are mostly like the daemon tools on which you can mount the iso as a disk drive
you can also use alcohol but you need to buy this

I have linux and Winrar, which I didn't know dealt with them, thanks.

I must confess that I am very surprised. Winrar is able to read most of the iso files and copy them to a usb stick.And Linux knows how to mount an iso file as a Linux filesystem, so on Linux you use an iso file exactly the same way as you would do it from a burned CD.
What iso file are you talking about, and what exactly are you trying do do ? Are you trying to create a bootable usb disk ? Or are you trying to boot directly off an iso file ?

Hello! how can I create a bootable usb, like with the startup disc creator on ubuntu? I have two laptops and I need to install win xp on the other one (non ubuntu). Ive tried with startup disc creator but it only lets me make linux based bootable usb's? I want to install mini xp and I don't know what program to use to make the bootable usb, I am using ubuntu 10.04 lucid...

-reply by overubuntu