xisto Community
surfinhu

Norton Or Mcafee?

Norton Antivirus ProblemNorton Or Mcafee?

I have been using Norton 360. A couple of weeks ago it did a live update that stopped my antivirus from working. I contacted Norton because I couldn't unistall it. Norton said to use the removal tool, but that didn't work. I contacted Norton chat support where they accessed my computer remotely and tried to use the removal tool to unistall Norton. That didn't work. They tried deleting files and while they did this they lost my internet connection. Norton said I had to ring my ISP because it was a problem with them. I told them it wasn't a problem with my ISP, since I have two computers hook up to the same modem and the other computer works fine. Anyway they said they could not help me until I contacted my ISP. I contacted my ISP and they checked my line and said there was  nothing wrong with it. (what a surprise!) Contacted Norton and told them my internet connection was fine. I had to do a system restore just to get my internet connection back. Norton now were asking if I had installed any other programs or done anything to my computer because the problem is with my computer. I told them my computer was fine until the live update error. They accessed my computer to use the removal tool again. I said to them how many times are you going to do the same thing, it obviously doesn't work. They left me with a frozen computer, no help, no support, no nothing. So I sent Norton an email letting them know I was not happy with what they had done to my computer and their reply was you can contact Norton chat support. A week after Norton rang my mobile at 12:30 in the morning with someone on the other end I could barely understand. The next day I received an email asking me to reply to a customer survey asking if I liked their support. What a joke!! So basically I now have a computer that I can't go online with and I can't unistall Norton. I will never use Norton again.

-reply by Tiffany

I have been using Norton 360. A couple of weeks ago it did a live update that stopped my antivirus from working.

Did you try a system restore to a point before the live update, and then use the removal tool ?

McAfee the bestNorton Or Mcafee?

I am using McAfee since 10 years. Although I allowed a virus inside my computere I called up Norton and was really frustrated about Mcafee. But norton couldnt help me. I again contacted the macfee, to my goodness I got my virus removed remotely by a technican from another department where I paid only $90. They done  a good job. But norton told me that I may lose some files ifthey do that. Hats off to MacAfee. But thisis the first time I'm infected with a virus with MacAfee installed. The time taken is just 30mins to remove virus by the technician, also explained about the way the virus got in throgh the conversaction.

Macafe is best

-reply by Joane

quote: moonlightcity: mcafee is the best and I get it with my cable services.

______________________________________________________________ ok you think mcafee is the best?  man have you got it wrong.  I too was able to get mcafee with my cable services. BUT I kept catching rouge antiviruses.  mcafee caught them? no  my friend put in panda antivirus and it wiped them out.  later I found out the supposal antiviruses had really got my PC skrewed.  I wound up having to to a format of the entire thing thanks to mcafee and those antiviruses. Now I am using avast! antivirus.  have I got any more rouge antiviruses? NO. But still   THANKS ALOT MCAFEE. Compared to avast! mcafee is lint

/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley7.Gif

Mcafee vs NortonNorton Or Mcafee?

I have used both Norton and Mcafee. Both I got at the store.. As for norton its a fast anti-virus and doesnt slow you down. Fast scans and overall a great program I have never had anything wrong with it. As for mcafee it has Slow scans and dosent really offer the same options as norton. Many times norton has had virus's encripted into it. I'm not talking down to it but I have never had  a problum with it. Its really up to the people behind it. If you go on sites you have no idea about then your asking for a problum Altho mcafee is free with your cable service you sould look into getting something you buy. Free is nice but not always the way to go if you really wanna keep out unwanted things on your computer. So I donno I like them both cause ive never had a thing go wrong with any of them when I used them. 

-reply by Justin

Replying to canalilhaI feel their reasons to the consumer are a bit misleading but Comcast just switched from a free-for-customers McCafee to Norton. McCafee has worked very well for my Intel Q6600 Vista Ultimate system for the past 3 years and has coexisted with my ErrorFix and worked well with IE7 & 8 and FireFox. I used both products for many years previous as at one time McAfee had the better Virus-Scan and Norton the better Firewall but a couple of "engines'' later neither were compatible with each other. The Norton product had too many adjustments and McCafee seemed to go out of the box.I've been a bit skeptical of Norton because I had a couple problems with it. One at my work when Norton's own SMS.Ex- file got infected/hijacked converted and transfered to my USB Thumb Drive. This trojan was a clock changer usually not a problem unless your dependent on correct time services or even night time updates. Anyway taking a known risk, but knowing how to fix it, I decided to plug the known bad USB drive in at home and McCafee caught the trojan right away.My brother-in-law had his Google and Yahoo home pages hijacked and redirected and though he had active Norton 360 it didn't catch or fix it even in safe mode.Therefore, I've been partial to McCafee.Still skeptical of Norton, it was free from Comcast so I unloaded McCafee and downloaded Norton to two of my portable machines that are networked at home. One with XP-Home and the other newer with 7-Home. For two weeks it has been just short of a nightmare on the XP machine better on the new 7 OS. Slow and locking up sometimes not being able to even bring up Task Manager to look or get out of it without a restart.Norton is very robust and does do quick-scans faster than McCafee, but also slows down the PC more than McCafee; especially when you have the look ahead or real-time monitoring enabled (Note: most any real-time scan will slow access features down for files and/or Internet/http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to use Norton with the World Wide Web or the Internet has been challenging to make it work even by what I consider to be my more advanced abilities. Note that I said make it work not Disable it which for some reason has required a PC reset whenever I try to change it. I don't think the average PC user switching from McCafee is going to be as happy if they have to reconfigure Norton's many features.At this point I'm going to pay for McCafee's Security Center if necessary in my desktop at least until I can get a stable version of Norton working in the other PC's. 3/4/2010-reply by Swedishpassions

McAfee vs. NortonNorton Or Mcafee?

McCafee! Other than real-time scan slowing your PC searches as with any product, it has worked very well me for many years. Auto updates are great except when a new engine will restart your machine onece in a while. Norton does do quick scans faster but is too convoluted.Too bad Comcast decided on the other guys. Norton doesn't seem to be as consumer friendly and a bit too restrictive when web browsing in it's default mode...

-reply by Pixtacy

I recommed to all of you that you have to use kaspersky to have a good security system because kaspersky have a lot of tools like firewall and parent control included in the software because it´s important that you have a good security system in your computer that operates like a single software because if you have a antivirus and then install an adware or spyware software you can have some problems because some of them are not compatible and crashed easily.But your question maybe is better mcaffe than norton but I only tested norton once and I have to say you that that software sucks...Bye.

Without a doubt I would have to say Norton. Mcafee uses way too many resources on my computer, while Norton is so much faster, quicker, and it really got rid of the viruses on my computer better than what Mcafee had done for me at the same amount of time. Macafee also cost more for me then Norton did as I just bought Norton from Wal-mart and that was it, while I bought Mcafee from their website and for some reason they charged me a lot of money for it, more than I really wanted to pay, but you see at that time I was under this weird notion that Mcafee was the best virus protection software out there. I do not know why I had thought this, but I just did. I soon found out that yeah, Mcafee was good, but again it slowed my computer way too much. I was just checking up the resources and how what percentage of what was being used on my computer and it showed that the # 1 program that was being used that was wasting my usage was Mcafee. Now, that's really not good at because i only had 2 GB of RAM. That means that Mcafee was using up almost 1GB of RAM which only left me with one more GB ram to run ALL of my programs. I use many different programs. I am really into movie editing software, which at the same time THAT uses up a crap load of RAM too, so what was happening was my computer would turn off whenever I would try render my videos. The reason being, again, Mcafee would use up most of my RAM so that would leave with 1GB of ram left, which was not enough for moving making, nor doing anything else.Now, with Norton right now, I have the Anti-Virus software. I do not have the whole security center one that includes a lot more nifty things in it like firewall protection and things like internet fraud security. Things of that nature are not included, but I do get really good Virus protection where if something is trying to install a virus on my computer or if I am on a website that is trying to steal my data then Norton will automatically block the program from accessing my computer and block it from damaging anything. Actually, today I clicked on a link on Facebook. It waas a friend's facebook account and I had actually realized that this particular person's facebook might have been hacked. Well anyway this person had posted many different links on there saying that I should go check it out and that they were videos of me on there or something of that nature. Of course, the gulliable guy that I am I ended up clickingo n the link and once I did Norton came up and said that some unwanted file was trying toa ccess my computer and that uit was going to block it so it would not do so. I was at first surprised that the link I had clicked on was actually trying to damage my computer. I started to think that maybe my friend was a big time hacker, but then I realized that of course it was a facebook virus that was trying to take over my profile or whatnot.ANYWAY, Norton is way better in my honest opionon then Mcafee for all the reasons I have posted above. I hope that helps :)

McAfee does not stop anything on my box. Wachovia had to wipe out all of my accounts because McAfee did not catch anything. The free Spyware Doctor not catches 15 to 20 a day as soon as they hit. McAfee wanted $89 to fix what they did not do right in the first place. Their Indian tech guy would not help at all. Blieve it or not, he recommended using free software!

-reply by Fireball