xisto Community
LegallyHigh

Wireless On The Xbox 360 Without An Adapter.

Alright, I'm not sure if anyone owns an Xbox 360, or uses one at this forum. However, the other day, while playing video games on my 360, I came across some valuable information. If you have ever been looking to go wireless with an Xbox 360 this may help you out. You may have realized the very high cost of wirelss 360 use. The adaptor for wireless is $80+ and of course you will need a wireles router (about $30), aswell. However, while I was playing Gears of War, a popular game on the 360, I was told if you already had a laptop (with a wireless adaptor), you would not need to purchase an Official Xbox 360 Wireless Adaptor. Instead, he claimed, he used his Laptop to output, or rather, split, the wireless signal to the Xbox 360. To do this you must have a laptop recieving wireless internet, and an ethernet cable. Plug the ethernet cable from the laptops port to the Xbox 360's so they are connected, sharing a connection. Now all you have to do is go to (on your laptop, if it is wondows, I'm not sure about Macs) Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections find your wireless connection, right click it, and click "Bridge Connections". I was surprised this was so easy, I ran wires all the way from the second floor of my house to the basement so I could get onto Xbox Live, but I would never have if I knew I could use this much easier method instead. However, I'm guessing my wired connection is probably more clear than a wireless connection would have been since my wireless router has a weak signal. I hope this tutorial helps some people out, Good Day.

hey, great guide right there. After reading your article, I decided to try it out. My wireless router is in my room, and my xbox is in the living room. I hooked the xbox up with my laptop(which is able to get wireless internet), but no other connection attached to it. However, when I get to the step where you click "Bridge Connections", a pop-up message say that I need two high-speed or LAN connection to set up the bridge. I did some additional research on the web that says the same thing. Did I do something wrong?-reply by jason

Hey, great guide right there. After reading your article, I decided to try it out. My wireless router is in my room, and my xbox is in the living room. I hooked the xbox up with my laptop(which is able to get wireless internet), but no other connection attached to it. However, when I get to the step where you click "Bridge Connections", a pop-up message say that I need two high-speed or LAN connection to set up the bridge. I did some additional research on the web that says the same thing. Did I do something wrong?-reply by jason

It actually worked, and for iGuest:I had that same problem, I had one LAN that was connected and an other one that wasn't connected, I selected both of them and than bridged it, and it worked, so try that and see if it works. Even thought it worked, I came up with alot of problems, like if I were to close my laptop so it would go to sleep or hibernate, my xbox live wouldn't work, than after that, my wireless router had limited connectivity to my laptop and it barely worked, so I just unbridged my connection and kept it the same, I could just use a switch and make my xbox live worked, I just tried so I could maybe help other people. But anyways, thats what happened to me

.-reply by afuNk

Wireless 360 without an adapter using a laptopWireless On The Xbox 360 Without An Adapter.

If my laptop is really slow will this affect the gameplay with lag?

What about the wireless adapters for laptops?Wireless On The Xbox 360 Without An Adapter.

Does the usb port on the 360 support the usb wireless adapters sold for laptops? I completely understand bridging the wireless connection to the wired connection. So please, don't try to explain it to me. I was just wondering if anyone has tried a usb "dongle" type wireless adapter in one of the 360's usb ports.

To get your xbox on live with a pc or laptop with a wireless adapter built in, right click your wireless adapter and go to properties, click on the advanced tab and make sure 'allow all other network users to connect through this computers internet connection' is ticked. Plug in your xbox to your pc or laptop and turn it on,  then click on library in media player 11 and go to media sharing, tick the 'share my media' box and your xbox should appear there. I've helped quite a few of my friends this way, hope this helps anyone else.

-reply by David

IP addressWireless On The Xbox 360 Without An Adapter.hey man thank you so much! We got this working on my cousins 360 saving him 100 bucks. However, its not working on my 360. My console says it has the network adapter wired but it says that there is something wrong with the IP address. I never clicked/saw anywhere on my computer that said bridge connection. I have a vista and I don't know if I did anything wrong. If you have any idea let me know.Thanks again.-question by Gmoney

when you bridge  your connection it will actually be SLOWER, for a vista wut you would want to do is just got to the network,then go to network and sharing center, then  go to the wifi's properties and go to the sharing tab and click both boxes then pres ok,(the second box has something to do with NAT, which sumed up allows certain privlages like talking on the mike and stuff as in IMPORTANT) then make sure you go directly to you network settings on your 360 to test xbox live connection,if you have halo you'll see if you go to a halo match and press select you can see your connection and youll see that you have full bar instead of a little red one, but if you need a video I can get you it just youtube it tho so look it up The only thing thats different from this method and the bridge is that on the bridge it also shares music which takes most of the ethernets usage space which leaves more chances of being diconected from xbox live, but thats the only real difference is that you cant share musicHey but its the same theing on a xp only way easier cuz its just a click away but follow the steps after you got to net. ConnectionsHears the vid link anyway http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/]

(response to iguest) i have the same problemWireless On The Xbox 360 Without An Adapter.

I went through all of the motions, I successfully bridged the connections. Plugged 'em in, even watched a video tutorial on youtube. But nothing. My laptop recognizes the 360, but the 360 remains unconnected to xbox live. Its frustrating, simply because everyone else is raving about how easy it is.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY ADVICE? I might just have to buy the f*cking wireless 360 adapter.

-reply by burney

Reply to jasonWireless On The Xbox 360 Without An Adapter.

open network connections, highlight both wireless and LAN connections then right click and bridge

be sure to turn off all firewalls on the laptop, it will NOT work otherwise unless you allow the connection but it's easier to just disable them

it won't work with dial up

only broadband service works (ex. Cable/DSL/FiOS)

-reply by Collector