xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
buherath

Annoying Virus! Need help.

I have this strange virus on my computer and McAfee does not detect it. It does not do anything harmful. What it does is that, when I am going around 'my computer' and accessing files I get this very annoying message saying "your computer has a major virus. Please click yes to download the antivirus".It just pops up when I am in 'my computer' and when I am in 'windows explorer'. When I click yes they tell me to buy this antivirus program which I think is completely crappy.Even McAfee does not see this bug as a virus as it does nothing harmful to my computer. But it is very annoying and I do not know how to delete it.Is McAfee a good antivirus program. I have tried Panda, NOD 32, Norton and Kaspersky and have finally settled with McAfee because I think it is good. Is it really good?What is your opinion about the best virus scanner? Does anybody know how to delete this annoying popup alert?

I have this strange virus on my computer and McAfee does not detect it. It does not do anything harmful. What it does is that, when I am going around 'my computer' and accessing files I get this very annoying message saying "your computer has a major virus. Please click yes to download the antivirus".
It just pops up when I am in 'my computer' and when I am in 'windows explorer'. When I click yes they tell me to buy this antivirus program which I think is completely crappy.

Even McAfee does not see this bug as a virus as it does nothing harmful to my computer. But it is very annoying and I do not know how to delete it.

Is McAfee a good antivirus program. I have tried Panda, NOD 32, Norton and Kaspersky and have finally settled with McAfee because I think it is good. Is it really good?

What is your opinion about the best virus scanner? Does anybody know how to delete this annoying popup alert?

I just got done cleaning a similar virus from my fathers PC yesterday. Your best bet is to be certain that your definitions are up to date and run a full scan. Additionally run a program like Adaware or AVG offers their product free for a month. After that run Hijack This and post the log on their board.

Yeah. I still have any annoying Virus on my computer, too. It tells me to purchase the full version of some product called Obsidium, and I can;t figure out how to disable it yet. I just can't figure out who hads the time to create the viruses and what do they get out of it?

1) make sure you have the latest version of McAfee and the newest virus definitions (be sure to check the data of the virus definitions) and do a complete system scan. Something to take into consideration is to enable heuristic search for viruses (heuristic scanning can detect self-modifying and new viri) and enable scanning in compressed files.2) If McAfee doesn't find anything, try out some online virusscanners (google :) ).3) Also run AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Hijack thisThese are the minimum things you should try :P . It's a bit risky becaus this way you loose any possible way to easily restore windows if something goes wrong, but when your computer is infected with a virus it's not a bad idea to disable the system restore because it's almost impossible to remove a virus that's stored in the system restore.@LegallyHigh: have you searched on the net for specifics way to remove the Obsidium virus ?

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

i know how you feel.had the same problem, and as soon as it appears with these message boxes, saying u got problems on ure computer or sends you to another site, i know its usuallyits an adware, spyware,etc junk. Try downloading VET anti-virus(cost like 40 bucks) or the best free one AVG(in my opinion.). (latest versions. :mellow: )if this doesnt work try ad-ware 2008(heard its gud and costs......) . Last opinion is reformatt my harddrive. :o WARNING: ONLY if u know how too reformatt ure harddrive :Di hope that helped Pasanator

I'm going to sound like a bit of a prat saying this, but seriously... for what it's worth, try looking at Linux. After using Linux as my primary OS for a number of years now, I have missed some of my old games (MechWarrior) but every time I got to assist someone with computer problems and they are on Windows...

...it is so slow to boot up because there is so much antithis and antithat ware running amok on their system

...and even then they have every other progam clashing, or interrupting with dumb pop ups like you describe.

Unless you're doing something only Windows can provide, if you're only using your computer for Word Processing, Spreadsheets, email and web browsing... the only rel difference you would see is improvement.

how to delete the fileAnnoying Virus!

I may be wrong but to me that sounds like one of the fake bat file viruses you can make with notepad and when it says that next time just search the name of it that it says on the top of the message and go to start at the bottom left corner of your computer and on the right side on the bottom click on run and search for the name of the message then if you find it delete it please tell me if it helped any

-reply by josh

Dealing with virus is not as bad as you think. First of all, don’t be panic. This is some guides I can share you: 1. Use also anti spyware, beside your antivirus. I use SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebyte. 2. Run online scanner. You can use Kaspersky, Panda or Trendmicro. Trendmicro can scan and clean. But Kaspersky only scan, to clean it you can install the demo version for free. 3. For me, the most helpful is Hijackthis. Most important is avoid the virus: 1. Be careful with emails. Don’t click any link/ attachment if you are not sure. 2. Be careful with offers from sites particularly the free ones. There are plenty good free stuff but there are also more nasty ones. If you have problem with the virus, please post here clearly. Try to get information about the virus as much as possible. For example, what fake antivirus did you get? Then we will help you easier. But be patient, we can go step by step.

Edited by kecikwati (see edit history)

After cleaning the virus, make sure you go to hosts file and delete the bogus entries virus put in there.

The file sits here: C:windowssystem32driversetc and you can open it with the notepad.

do not delete 127.0.0.1 localhost entry.

-reply by Giedrius

this is a vbs file which is a fake virus and is made in notepad, you needed to open search and type in the name of the messege at the top of the window and delete it.

Pete  

-reply by Pete

virus problem Annoying Virus!

Hi,

I am fedup with one virus problem. When ever I open one window from another window it goes back automatically. E.G if I am trying to open eny web site from google, after opening the purticular webpage I need  the window goes back to google automatically within a fraction of second. This happens even when I open the folder inside the PC. Even McAfee antivirus cannot fix the problem.  This gave me some financial loss due to uncompleated transaction because of backing the page automatically. Please help me.

-question by Renjith