xisto Community
buherath

My Site Got Hacked!

Recently my web site got hacked. Actually my former hosting provider got hacked and now when I visit my site it says that it is owned my some hackers. here is my site,

http://www.fitnesspro.woeps.com/

My site is actually a hosted wordpress blog. I spent many days making it and now everything has gone wrong. I even set up an autoresponder.

Is there any way that I can backup my site? I can access my files from CPANEL and FTP. I did use backup from CPanel and downloaded my site and MYSQL databases. But can I use the same backup to restore my whole site (through cpanel backup-restore) to the Xisto account when I get one? Is the change of the address going to be any major problem? Can I fix this address problem? Can I?

If any one is familiar with wordpress blogs please help! Anyone?

You will have to work a little bit. for instance, probably, the server site has to be looked in each .ini file, in order to verify that the hostname is always "localhost".And also, be sure to have a sql backup of each of your databases.But, yes, it should be possible. At least, it's a good exercise.Of course, there is another solution : wait until your current provider gets rid of his hacker's problem !

Well obviously that host wasn't very good on security (or you didn't have a good password). Good thing no files were deleted, passwords weren't altered (I'm assuming because you said you could still access FTP/cPanel).I'm not very familiar with WordPress, but you can check all your links and URLs to make sure they are either relative or they go to your Xisto site. This may take from a few days to several weeks to backup, verify and restore.Good luck.

I would switch your host, obviously the one you have currently isn't secure enough. Your lucky though, the hackers didn't corrupt your site or do anything except alter the Index page, it was sort of like they gave you a heads up.

Edited by LegallyHigh (see edit history)

WordPress is very easy to install. Because of that, versions before 3.5 were found to have major security holes, that are widely known among hackers. Make sure you have 3.5 or 3.5.1 when you restore your website!

WordPress is very easy to install. Because of that, versions before 3.5 were found to have major security holes, that are widely known among hackers. Make sure you have 3.5 or 3.5.1 when you restore your website!

Slight typo here doc :) I believe you meant WP 2.5 or 2.5.1. Those figures you mentioned are quite a thing of distant future - though Matt Mullenweg would be more than happy to set his eyes on 'em. :P

-----------------

Mea culpa! :P (For those of you in Rio Linda: My Bad!) Thanks for the correction.

docduke

If your old host cannot recover from a hacker attack within 24 hours, it's just a very poor quality one. I suggest switching to a new host, like Xisto. Anyways, get an SQL backup and any other files you need (skins, etc) and upload them to your new host, and restore the SQL backup there. Edit the configuration file to the new host's details, and you're done.

No, it's best to avoid using that webhost. Be sure to join well known webhosts to ensure that you won't get hacked by blackhat hackers.
xboxrulz

I would hardly call him a blackhat hacker, as website defacement is usually done by script kiddies.

Wow, that's Harsh, I've never been hacked, but i suggest (even though this was your hosts fault not yours) using a very strong password, like the ones below(dont actually use these rofl :rolleyes:)aSTAh0sT18jLoaDD1NGDJ6U8ghGGhmmT3hJ0hN:P

I recommend you to use a firewall in your pages.The Firewall script 2008 is the best online firewall. It is a PHP based program than runs on your hosting protecting your pages against hacker, virus, everything.I recommend that you solicitate it to the hosting where you host your site.