xisto Community
toby

Two Connections For Faster Internet?

When dialup was common, I heard about people connecting two phone lines so it was faster. Could I do that with broadband, the router delivers 12mbps, but I get about 2.5, and I have a extra cable.

the router delivers 12mbps, but I get about 2.5, and I have a extra cable.

The problem is not due to your cable. I guess that your NIC is a 100Mbps one, so a single cable is able of sustaining 100mbps. The problem is the cable between your modem and your Internet provider. This distance is probably several kilometers, which imbeds a slow connexion. As the link until your home is slow, no use to have a faster link inside your home, the problem is outside.

the speeds that the ISP tells you are always theoretical and never seem to be exact. I have DSL 1.5mb and it never gets that fast. There are many different factors that reduce your speed.

I think what tody is trying say is whether he can use 2 cable and achieve 2.5 x 2 = 5mbps.Well, theoretically you can. I've seen that option for dial-up during the days of win98se. As for cable, it's more or less like load balancing on server system. So, our ordinary OS might not support load balancing, which is a pricy option.The other issue is like what yordan and jimmy89 mentioned, the speed of the external line. Even if you manage to use load balancing, the bottle neck is still the speed of the line outside your house. Unless they pull another cable all the way from the ISP to your house, else you still get 2.5 x 2 = 2.5One last thing. With 2 cable connected simultaneously, you need 2 account on your ISP side. I don't many would fork out double of the monthly rental to do that, unless it's for business.

Even if you have a 12mbps connection, this doesn't mean you actualy get 12mbps. First of all, there are a lot of factors that determine the maximum bandwith you get and the most important one is the distance between your house and the closest street cabinet, the further away, the slower the connection gets. If you are too far away to actualy get 12mbps then I'd suggest you to go to your ISP and get a cheaper connection :) . Combining two lines is possible, but then you'll have to get yourself a second connection to your ISP and a router that supports load balancing. Running two cables from your router to your computer is useless, the router can only deliver 12mbps so connecting it with a 200mbps line to your computer is serious overkill.

I presume you are talking about multiplexing two separate lines from two ISPs.in that case you either need Hardware that supports load balancing (I think Dlink has a router that does that)or use two Lan interfaces and find some software that will do the load balancing.

I've always enjoyed the idea of doing this. While it seemed pretty straight forward for dialup modems (I head two phone lines + two isp accounts (or one that you can log into twice heh) + two modems in one computer = 56k*2 speeds) as mentioned it'd be more complex for broadband plus the prices get pretty crazy pretty fast when you start introducing multiple broadband accounts, cards, and special routers into the mix. It's cool in theory but the execution has always, even with dialup, seemed like it may not be worth the effort.

It might work for DSL connections but it will definitely not work with Cable connections because your house only have 1 cable running through the house from the master cable which is threaded into many other houses in your neighbourhood. Even if you thread an extra cable, that's like cutting another piece of an already very partitioned connection. Thus, the extra effort wouldn't really be worth it since you're still sharing the connection anyways.xboxrulz

My school used to have two DSL connections before they upgraded to cable broadband. It defiantly did make a difference with the speeds, but I'm sure, as others have said the cost for hardware would be huge!

Two B or not to BTwo Connections For Faster Internet?Most ISPs offer 2 simultaneous connections using the same account, but from different locations. In your case, the other location would have to be a seprate dedicated line for ADSL as one cannot use the same line for both connections simultaneously.The best way would be to have some sort of software that bridges the connections or a router that does it for you. That way you can use one line for the upload link and one line for the download link. Upload usually requires less bandwidth, which is why ISPs distinguish between the two. Example 512/256Kbit which means you can upload at a maximum of 256Kbit and download at a max of 512Kbits (bearing in mind that DSL / ADSL is a best effort service being shared by a multitude number of users on the same exchange / area).Normally that would not make sense to use the above setup (since you would have to pay DSL line rental to your utility provider twice). If you do not mind that cost, the second const is the bridging software / hardware cost. Unless you plan to inter-connect PCs / offices over the WAN or intend becoming a torrent leacher as well as seeder, I do not see the advantage of the slight speed gains. Keep in mind that in addtion to DSL being a best effort service, many sites are inter-continental and bottlenecks can occur at any place enroute to the site. (Just tracert https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl to see what I mean).So there you have the long and short of it - not cost effective at the end of the day.-reply by Uncle Bob