xisto Community
evansmaster

Windows Or Mac?

the eternal question that has been answered millions of times :rolleyes: It really depends on what your doing in terms of using the computer. Mac has all your video editing, sound editing, picture editing while windows has most of the market and runs the majority of the software on the market - so in other words windows is just good for anything you can't do on a mac!
Personally, I can't decide, they both have their upsides, and both have their downsides!

I think Jimmy is right i would say that Mac is for media stuff (editing, music, pictures and movies). While Windows is for work related, most if not all software can be run on a windows while not all can be run on Mac. I would get a Mac and dual-boot it since then i get the best of both worlds.

I always like this saying:

A Mac are PCs but PCs cannot be Macs like squares are rectangles, but rectangles cannot be squares

Of course I know you can run Mac OS X on PCs but I'm of course talking about legally obtaining and running it.

I mainly got my Mac as a portable UNIX workstation and multimedia centre. My Windows machine for games and heavy-duty tasks.

xboxrulz

I've never found an interest in Macs. The only reason I would get a mac is it is a bit cheaper and is pretty good for general tasks, such as facebook, homework, etc. Windows can basically do all of the things a mac could do.

I've never found an interest in Macs. The only reason I would get a mac is it is a bit cheaper and is pretty good for general tasks, such as facebook, homework, etc. Windows can basically do all of the things a mac could do.

how's it cheaper? Even I own a Mac and don't find them cheap at all.

xboxrulz

from what i have seen of mac laptops they cost nearly £1000 when windows laptops cost £300 - £500 i d say that is a big giant hole in price range.this is another reason why i prefer windows and don't forget there is less games for mac's because a mac is designed for media and windows is designed for gaming and among alot of other things.another thing which i have heard about mac's is that you can not change as many parts as you can on a windows computer so i d that wins over mac any day.

from what i have seen of mac laptops they cost nearly ÂŁ1000 when windows laptops cost ÂŁ300 - ÂŁ500 i d say that is a big giant hole in price range.this is another reason why i prefer windows and don't forget there is less games for mac's because a mac is designed for media and windows is designed for gaming and among alot of other things.
another thing which i have heard about mac's is that you can not change as many parts as you can on a windows computer so i d that wins over mac any day.

Most of those laptops in the 300 - 500 pounds is usually poorly constructed compared to laptops in the 1000 pound range regardless if it's Mac or PCs.

I have a Mac laptop and it is built sturdier than my friend's PC laptop, my laptop requires a lot less repairs than the PC counterpart. However, PC laptops that are in the same price range for my Mac is about the same in sturdiness so, it's all about you get what you paid for.

Also, I'm no artsy guy, I'm a computer science student and I would rather have a Mac for a laptop than a PC laptop. For desktops, I have a PC at home.

xboxrulz

I say Mac even though it is higher because you can't seperate hardware from OS, which IMO is stupid! Mac would dominate more market share if you could just install Mac OS on other computers than just their own systems, but anyway. the reason i say go for Mac is because, it is based on BSD, which was at one point derived from UNIX, you can read more on it on wikipedia.org surely lol. Because it's based on BSD it is gonna be more stable than windows and less prone to viruses as well, but from what i read some time ago, mac's do get viruses but still beats the amount of viruses windows gets.

i prefer windows since it runs at the speeds i like and it also runs on my computer theres a reason for me not having a mac os the mac os can only go on apple hardware which is too expensive when you can build a computer cheaper and faster. the reason why there are more viruses that attack windows out there is because they have to be built to target certain files and structure since macs structure and files are different the virus can't be a virus since it one can't be ran since macs use different executable files and everything.windows is getting better almost everytime they release a os (i don't count vista as a os since it wasn't meant to be a full release ms just milked it). that is my opinion on the operating systems. i have never used a mac os so i can't really compare so if i seem a bit biased towards windows thats because its the only os i ever used.

An age old question. If you asked me 10 years ago, I would've said Windows without a doubt. But today... the Mac for sure.I was actually forced into learning how to use a Mac. I bought a Mac computer while still having a PC. My brother convinced me to buy it. I had gone off to college and brought both laptop computers.Well about halfway through the semester, with tons of papers due, my Toshiba PC died. And I was just forced to learn how to figure out how a Mac computer works. That old white one. I've since gotten a nice silver mac book pro and I love it.I don't have to deal with virus, spyware, or even an extremely slow system. The EXE file is no longer a worry in my mind. I feel like I can do anything with this system. I guess the only downside I feel.. is that I miss programming for Windows. It was very easy and I could make a fully interactive program that could use any feature within Windows in just a few hours. I've attempted to learn Cocoa and xCode with Mac but just gotten confused. I'm sure it takes time to learn, as it's very similar to C programming.But overall -- I'd recommend Mac at least once in your lifetime! You could end up switching! I used to be the person who was very anti-Mac, used to be the one to say every stereotype I knew against Mac, and they were probably true. But in 2011, Apple has really advanced its system and made it superior beyond all previous Mac systems. I still never left Windows completely and either have a Virtual Machine partition or a Bootcamp partition.The thing Mac lacks.. although it definitely is increasing its database.. are real extensive graphic games. Something that Windows dominates. So I miss that.