xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lemonz

Old Computers . Ms-dos

Now a days we are very lucky . Technology is getting better and better everyday . But have u seen your fathers old computer ?

Its really bad . It dosent have any icons . Just white&black . Though now Bill Gates invented the " Windows " Life has been so easy /

Question , what was the operator of the computer before windows ?

Answer : MS - Dos

Huh whats ms-dos ?

Microsoft DOS is a command line user interface first introduced in 1981 for IBM computers and was last updated in 1994 when MS-DOS 6.22 was released. Although MS-DOS is not commonly used today, the command shell used through Microsoft Windows is. This page contains complete information about MS-DOS and the Windows command line.

So imagine you wanted to draw a circle on MS-DOS . You have to type commands . Like maybe " fwr 10 " meaning moving foward 10 units up .

Now we have windows its so easy . So how does windows operate ? Its actauly the brother of MS-DOS . It just really really advance version of MS-DOS . It has icons and colours . But on windows Windows 2.x ( old version ) its really easy .Windows simply writes on MS-DOS . So if you wanted to draw on "Paint" . You frist run it . So paint > windows > ms-dos > action !

Thats how lucky we are .

Credits : Me and bill gates ( for making the windows os )

you're right, the computer system grew up, but with this up comes many problems and the biggest problem, in my opinion, is the comfort of all windows user... think about, before u had to know so much things about everything, like programming, etc.. today u only have to know to put into move mouses and no more... its too easily that people leaves the real knowledge..for me computers is to learn, learn and learn... after all no one knows all about this wonderfull machine.. always have something to learn.. and the massive people dont see this.. for the majority this is to play games(i wont say that i dont play too, i have my fun times) talk with another people and its all... well, if the DOS predominate at the time may be people uses the computer for more interesting things.

Edited by Impious (see edit history)

Thats how lucky we are .

I really don't see it that way...we went from having a nice command-line, fast interface to our programs, to a mandatory graphical interface (windows) that no longer even allows us to drop back into ms-dos to perform basic tasks without the overhead of a gui.

this is why i run linux. well, its a reason among many, anyway.

Yeh, offcourse, we are kinda lucky with the computer now a days.. Nice interface, easy to use, and much much more possibilities!.. But, I have to say, commandor 64 was sooo great! Who doesn't remember gianna sisters, of summer/winter games and paperboy. And those horrible graphics; you just had to love them haha.. I confess, sometimes I connect an old computer and have fun with a few friends with playing old bad-graphic games.. And that's something people don't do anymore.. or do they? With those new high-tect all on internet computers???

Well, if no one here used different OS than MS-Dos and Windows in the old days, I can say that since 1985 Graphical User Interface already existed, just that PC sucked at that time, I started with ZX-Spectrum (rather my brother) which only had 48kb later he moved with a 128kb machine until he didn't bought an Amiga 500+, it had custom chipsets for sound and graphics and was capable of showing 4096 colours on the screen and in Ham mode as I remember ~256 000 colours or something similar to it, as I remember Ham6 mode had about 256 000 on ECS custom chips and on more advanced AGA chipsets Ham8 mode had the 16,7 millions colours display and it was in the year 1992, after of year using Amiga 500+ my brother bought an Amiga 1200 which was able to display true colour in the year 1992 and it had a really nice GUI Workbench, of course at that time I usually only was playing games and listening to tracks/modules and playing with the desktop, later with an Amiga equipped with an gfx card Voodoo it could display true colour on the Desktop with AmigaOS 3.x So personally I never used the console (especially ms-dos), of course I was using the Shell/Cli on Amiga, but not as my main thing, I was running games from the desktop, of course some newer games required all the chip ram and not only the fast ram which you could expand, so I needed to boot without the OS and run the game, well it was really nice times, later I moved to Linux and played with the console much more, now more time I spend on Windows due to the School and now University and I am to lazy to install Linux again after my Hdd crash several months and a bit more ago, so in the old days it wasn't as bad as it can see, that everything was with a console.. Oh yea, to add, as I remember Windows was crashing very frequently at our neighbours, on the version 3.1 and 95 later, and it was how much? over 10 floppy disks? the version 3.1 I mean, AmigaOS 2.x could fit into one floppy disk and if you would crunch something even a very powerful file manager Dopus4 could fit in as well, just that from the floppy disk it used to load for over 1 minute which seemed annoying, due to it loads in about 10 seconds from an older HDD and I still have my Amiga 1200 in my room, with the OS and files, it is of course expanded, just that I don't have time to turn it on and play with it anymore and another thing, that it doesn't has a browser which has CSS and AJAX support :D but everything else exists. Moreover, I have and Efika board with a PPC which after some time will be capable of running MorphOS, which Today can run Linux, but I don't even have time for that and even if I had I think I would lazy to do something, I wish there weren't any job, university and beer :oSo thats the old days if had a little bit more cash for buying a computer.. In addition, if somebody saw the movie/television series Babylon-5, so it the graphics were rendered with an Amiga computer in the year 1993, that was 14 years ago when most of you used ms-dos, besides even more powerful computers existed to render graphics, just that the cost was very big, as I know Silicon Graphics computers still exist, but are very expensive and was expensive, they started in about 1982 with Motorola 68k-based systems same as Amiga, later moved to Risc architecture and etc. never had one of those, never needed one of those workstations :blink: You can find much more by just reading Wikipedia.

Impious is right about the lack of knowledge of most computer users and this lack creates a real mess. If every computer user was to be a "geek", then there wouldn't be so much problems w/ viruses, spam, ... or at least not like it is nowadays. I haven't used DOS a lot (we already had Win3.1 installed :blink: ) but I must admit that I sometimes miss it. But then again, I'm quite happy that things became more easy to do, I don't like wasting hours of my time just for setting something up, that's the reason why I don't want to switch to Linux anymore, I've already wasted to much of my time to get a descent system up and running ... but so far I've failed to do so :D .

Yes, I remeber these days well. How well, however, do people remember the days of assembler? Ever had to write software in binary? Or, going back further, in binary on hole punched cards? The myth that "bugs" are the results of an insect jamming one of these cards is in fact untrue. The term "bug" was used before this to describe faults in logical systems.

M$-DOS is really a good OS, enough to support the worst :blink:

I'm only 23 years old but...

OH!!! WONDER YEARS

I did used MS-DOS to:

... fix MBR sometimes: fdisk /mbr

... install Debian

... practice Basic

... play Sokoban, Pacman, Brix, Doom, etc

... burn my floppy discs with 2M

... low format my HD Quantum Disc Manager

... FORGET BLUE SCREENS!!!!!!!

There will never be another like DOS(prefix M$ comes from Micro$oft), this really done his job.

TO THINK ABOUT

People said: Window$ got Blue screens because is MS-DOS based, now Window$ XP is NT based. Why there still blue screens????

Thank you LEMONZ, I love to remember good times (Linux era is better :D)

Blessings!

dos shell/commandPrompt is one of the greatest things in this world. It's a basic of what you need to learn computer : If you want something, just type something and you'll get the result.At the first time I installed linux, everything was based on console (and maybe until now). And DOS made me get used to it (using shell/console).