xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
murtahg

I Dont Understand Cpanel!

Hi all, I am new to this entire Xisto thing, I have used Tripod's Site builder my entire life!( Click Here To Visit Tripod Hosting ).
First of all, when I go to my new website that I made using Xisto(I think, see below) I see text that says something like "Welcome to your new website! Please log in to cPanel by going to yourdomain.trap17.com/cpanel and change your email account, blah...blah...blah" Visit my site at azerothheroes.trap17.com for full "View".
Second, How do you use cPanel at all? Where do I go to view/change my websites pictures/text and change the spots that they are in? I want to be able to view what I am doing/changing! If you have ever used Tripod sitebilder you will understand. Is there a way to change things without knowing html by heart???
Third, why is my sub-domain Xisto if I used Xisto to get credits and everything else?
Fourth, How do I see what my website looks like?

Please help me!!! If you read my entire post then u will know how bad I need support about this!!!

-murtahg
Visit my old site at http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/

First of all, cpanel isn't a site builder. It basically manages the 'backend' of your site. To get files on your hosting account you can either use cpanel's file manager or login with FTP access. So you are going to need the actual html or php files on your computer to upload to Xisto. If you've been using previous hosting that doesn't allow you to export the files you are going to have to rebuild your site.

First of all, when I go to my new website that I made using Xisto(I think, see below) I see text that says something like "Welcome to your new website! Please log in to cPanel by going to yourdomain.trap17.com/cpanel and change your email account, blah...blah...blah"

This is the default index.html file on your hosting account. To change it, login to cpanel's file manager or with FTP. Navigate to the public_html directory and find it there. You can upload your own file or just have a temporary blank placeholder for now.
Second question i've answered above

Third, why is my sub-domain Xisto if I used Xisto to get credits and everything else?

Not sure about this one, you're going to have to wait for an administrator to look over it

Fourth, How do I see what my website looks like?

Simply navigate to your site's (sub)domain. If you have the pages on your computer you can use web creation software to give you simple previews.
The major thing in your situation is that Tripod basically has an easy way of creating sites without using external programs or coding. Xisto gives you the hosting, where you need the raw html/php files to upload to the hosting space.

You can find plenty of decent HTML editors that can help you design your site even with very little knowledge of the HTML code. I'm not sure of any free ones but i can assure you there are some out there, google it or there are usually big lists of free software on wikipedia

Hope it helps
-HellFire
Edited by HellFire121 (see edit history)

You can find plenty of decent HTML editors that can help you design your site even with very little knowledge of the HTML code. I'm not sure of any free ones but i can assure you there are some out there, google it or there are usually big lists of free software on wikipedia

So i just wanted to make sure of something here, can I use Joomla! as a free html editor?? if you want to see their site you can click here

Thanks 4 all the Re's!

-Murtahg

o.k.... What can i use??? I dont care if I have to quit my Xisto account!!!! I just want to make a very nice looking website for my World Of Warcraft Guild!!!!!! The only problem is, i want it to be free! What can i use? i tryed guildportal,guildlaunch,and guildomatic, but they all suck!!!! They all dont have an good features on them and they look horrible! Pleae help me!!!!! -Murtahg(is in desperate need of hosting help!)

Just learn HTML and code it yourself.You wont make anything good with a what you see is what you get visual editor.Joomla is a CMS (Content Management System), not an HTML editor.I just posted in the shoutbox but ill tell you here, Evrsoft firstpage for an HTML editor, just google it, and download the 2006... I think thats the latest one.Cpanel isnt just an Xisto thing either, its like the best and most popular control panel.

Hi and welcome to the world of proffessional hosting <_<
You say that you built a site using Tripod before, its going to be a steep learning curve to get a site running without a lot more knowledge.
We are a lot different from the Tripod sitebuilder type of thing, the Xisto package is a full blown hosting service.
Control Panel is the "industry standard" simplified way of administering your account and webpages here.
There are many tutorials out there to help you get to understand Cpanel.
Heres just one i found on google.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ its all video, dont be put off that the cpanel version is different in the tutorial, they all basically work the same.

Also dont worry about the account activation page subdomain section where it says Xisto - this is an error on that page.Rest assured your hosted here at Xisto not our sister site Xisto.You see all the backend pages were designed for Trap then renamed for us here, some mistakes are still in the text but not the code.

You have suggested using Joomla CMS, this is a very good way to start!! but also will require a bit of learning.
There are other CMS systems such as Drupal and Wordpress but for me Joomla is the king of them all.
I am a bit of a Joomla expert here at Xisto, I have a tutorial about how to install the latest Joomla package.This will really help you along getting Joomla installed and also configuring the parts of Cpanel you need to configure to get Joomla to work on Xisto.

http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?showtopi9&hl=joomla

Joomla can be very powerfull and versatile because you can customise it with literally thousands of free templates, free module, free components.These allow you to build just about any website you want without it feeling like a standard CMS site.
If I were you I would google around for free Joomla templates there are soo many stes out there!!, you say you want a WOW guild site, I have seen WOW templates for Joomla before so maybe you can just install one of them?
I would be happy to help you with your site and with the configuration of Joomla if you decide to go down the Joomla route..

joomla would be ok for you to use, once you have it all set up, a content management system would make it a lot easier.Mark, isnt wordpress just a blog?

I could be vary wrong in what im about to say, but i dont think so. Im learning HTLM PHP MySQL and JavaScript, im pretty far into the JS book and on page 70 in the HTML book and HTML seems kinda easy compared to JS. Everythings kinda obvious, just search for a tutorial and learn it really quick, i think it would help you more if you learned it then if you HTML builder built it. I know that for myself id have a greater sense of pride for it if i actully made it from scratch. Thanks just me though, and my opinion.Thanks,Zemon1

I think the first step is to identify what you want, murtahg. And then narrow it down to what you need. This is, I think, important to run a good site (even a good looking) <_<

Do you want to give membership to your "site" and increase discussion like Xisto forum? Then what you want is a forum based script, like Joomla or other CMS (content management script). Or, do you just want to run a one person show, like a blog or a personal page? This is best with WordPress, CuteNews etc.

If you just want a nice page for yourself and not gather members for your site, visit http://www.oswd.org/ for free, nice looking web templates. Then, replace "dummy" words with yours and viola~ you got yourself a webpage that looks good.

CMS scripts are bit harder to change the face (looks, feels, colors) and they are called skins or templates (themes). They are readily available for download and the installation is just about automated. Simply follow the provider's direction. And if you are stuck at any point, you can always ask Xisto members to give you some aid.

A quick analogy: Windows Vista is to Computer as cPanel is to WebHosting account. cPanel is your "operating system" and you need to install proper "software" to make it do what you want it to do.

I think the first step is to identify what you want, murtahg. And then narrow it down to what you need. This is, I think, important to run a good site (even a good looking) <_<

Do you want to give membership to your "site" and increase discussion like Xisto forum? Then what you want is a forum based script, like Joomla or other CMS (content management script). Or, do you just want to run a one person show, like a blog or a personal page? This is best with WordPress, CuteNews etc.

If you just want a nice page for yourself and not gather members for your site, visit http://www.oswd.org/ for free, nice looking web templates. Then, replace "dummy" words with yours and viola~ you got yourself a webpage that looks good.

CMS scripts are bit harder to change the face (looks, feels, colors) and they are called skins or templates (themes). They are readily available for download and the installation is just about automated. Simply follow the provider's direction. And if you are stuck at any point, you can always ask Xisto members to give you some aid.

A quick analogy: Windows Vista is to Computer as cPanel is to WebHosting account. cPanel is your "operating system" and you need to install proper "software" to make it do what you want it to do.

Not to "shoot you in the foot", but cPanel is in no way an operating system, it's an extension to one, but it isn't an OS.

Btw, to the topic starter. Try using the WYSIWYG editor that is built into cPanel inside the File Manager.

xboxrulz

but cPanel is in no way an operating system, it's an extension to one, but it isn't an OS.

That's why it's called an analogy. Windows is GUI commands to a personal computer--AS--cpanel is GUI commands to a hosting account. Analogy does not take the word meanings directly but establishes relationship between two words. S.A.T. basics 101...unless you're not a student in U.S. <_<